• Sell, but look for another Soul.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul+ 2.0l automatic in Clear White
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with this crazy market, my 2019 Soul is worth a little over 17k and I owe about 14k. This little gem is located a good distance away but kinda sorta near where I'm visiting my nephew next month. I can lose my $400 payment and my savings and trade...thoughts? My Soul has 31k miles and some simple modifications(tint, stereo, and speakers). My main concern is the mileage.

Used
2011 Kia Soul +
184,414 mi.
$5,854
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
759 Posts
So with this crazy market...
Yeah the market is crazy.

Not currently being in your situation and not knowing firsthand your situation it's easy for me sitting on the other side of the internet to type a bunch of crap...so having said that here my off the top of my head thoughts in no particular order

1. Back prior to buying your 2019 you could have posed the very same question. Do you buy a new 2019 which involves a $400/month payment or instead buy a 2008 Fill-in-the-blank with high miles and very little or no monthly payment. You bought a new 2019.​
2. Your 2019 based on your current miles of 31K has about 6½ years of engine / powertrain warranty left (plus 2 years remaining of the 5 year warranty covered items). The 2011 with no warranty and 184K miles might throw a rod on the way home from picking it up or it may run smooth for another 100K - it's a crapshoot.​
3. The market is crazy. Is $5,854 the off-the-lot price??? Even if it is that is still crazy (well compared to a couple or so years ago). 184K miles!! Yikes! Your 2019 only has 31K. Your 2019 only has 31K.​
4. If you bought the 2011 and immediately decided to take the bus, walk, bicycle, stick out your thumb everyday and left the 2011 undriven for the next 6½ years, it would still have 84K more miles on it than the 2019 if you were to continue to drive your 2019.​
5. Even with a current $400/month payment you spent additional money to modify your 2019 (tint, stereo, and speakers). Assuming the 2011 hasn't already been modded to your liking are you going to spend the same amount on the 2011 or do without??? The "overall price" creeps up. All though maybe offset by cheaper insurance.​
6. To me the Gen 2 is an overall improvement versus the Gen 1 but those improvements may not matter much to you.​
7. To me - again not in your shoes - if you want to overall save money then stick with the 2019, keep up with maintenance (oil & filter, pcv, trans fluid, etc, etc, etc), recall work, and repairs (unless those out-of-warranty repairs start becoming too frequent and costly) and drive that car until commercial-grade duct tape will no longer hold it together.​

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts
So with this crazy market, my 2019 Soul is worth a little over 17k and I owe about 14k. This little gem is located a good distance away but kinda sorta near where I'm visiting my nephew next month. I can lose my $400 payment and my savings and trade...thoughts? My Soul has 31k miles and some simple modifications(tint, stereo, and speakers). My main concern is the mileage.

Used
2011 Kia Soul +
184,414 mi.
$5,854
Just my 2 cents Staetik, as nice as the 2011 looks, that old dog probably won't hunt much longer. With 184,000 miles, it's nearing the end of its useful life.

Your 2019 has a long way to go and your payments aren't bad at all.

Ask yourself what you'd do if the 2011 bit the dust in the first year of ownership, what then? Replacement in this market would be costly.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good advice, listen to it. Unless of course you're in a financial bind. But still any vehicle with that many miles could quickly become a money pit. It's you and your money. Only you can make that decision. I have been offered a couple thousand more than I paid for mine new. Thought long and hard about it, decided to keep it. And mine is paid for. I looked long and hard, and figured if I sold mine, I'd wind up with some high mileage pos. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I was in better financial standing when I bought my current Soul but did have to get a cosigner. I was unable to find a good used car at the time. I am not struggling with the payment just yet. See how much worse this inflation gets. My nephew was the one who found this 2011 Soul. This was the model I fell in love with. Not really looking to make a trade. I am still going to call the dealer when they open in a bit to inquire about it. I really want those wheels off it if I can work that out LOL. All my mods could be transferred to the 2011 Soul btw. I saved all the stock stuff. But, after having slept on this idea and reading the replies I realize what I got is definitely better.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called the dealer. They were super pushy. The car is still there and that price is the cash/as is price. I said I would not be able to look at it until this weekend and that "upset" the sales guy. Got off the phone and within 15min my phone was blowing up. It was the sales guy. Suddenly another buyer is interested. Told him great. Glad you found a buyer. "So you don't want it?" he asks. Can't do anything before the weekend. Told him "It's okay, this was just an impulse kinda thing." Get another call a few minutes later but ignored it, and then another lol. I hate pushy salespeople. I think this just confirms I need to just keep what I got.

• Love
Reactions: GeoSoul and rhysoul

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Called the dealer. They were super pushy. The car is still there and that price is the cash/as is price. I said I would not be able to look at it until this weekend and that "upset" the sales guy. Got off the phone and within 15min my phone was blowing up. It was the sales guy. Suddenly another buyer is interested. Told him great. Glad you found a buyer. "So you don't want it?" he asks. Can't do anything before the weekend. Told him "It's okay, this was just an impulse kinda thing." Get another call a few minutes later but ignored it, and then another lol. I hate pushy salespeople. I think this just confirms I need to just keep what I got.
Block his number.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has a 2.0 engine. I would not doubt it needs to be done. I have already decided my 2019 is by far the best car. I am making "principle only" payments to get rid of my payment the right way. My nephew still wants to check it out this weekend. Might be his first Soul and a good second car for his family. I'll be sure to look for the timing belt sticker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts