Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Life is too short to spend it complaining.

Gen 3 is a NEW car, from bumper to bumper. Viva la difference!

I could have traded my 2013 Soul for a Buick and probably not have had a more different car.
I love my 2020 Soul LX. Just a great little car without a lot of gobbledegook.

Happy Trails Mates,
:cool:

Well this is my first "CVT" so considering I don't have anything else to base it on, except my last few transmissions, one of em being the decent (if unreliable) DCT on the Exclaim, I'm bound to be let down based purely on comparison.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Well this is my first "CVT" so considering I don't have anything else to base it on, except my last few transmissions, one of em being the decent (if unreliable) DCT on the Exclaim, I'm bound to be let down based purely on comparison.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but you still don't have a CVT. That's a totally mechanical device, not at all unlike the auto transmission on a motor scooter.

What we have in the 2020 Soul is a fully computerized and greatly upgraded version of the old CVT. The computer controls when and how the transmission shifts, depending on how you're driving the car, acceleration rate, etc. Thus we have the IVT.

I drove a 2009 Suzuki with a CVT, and I really didn't care for it, although it was very smooth.
I also had one on my 1960 HD Topper Motor Scooter. (100% mechanical)

Cheers Mate, and Happy Trails to you,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but you still don't have a CVT. That's a totally mechanical device, not at all unlike the auto transmission on a motor scooter.

What we have in the 2020 Soul is a fully computerized and greatly upgraded version of the old CVT. The computer controls when and how the transmission shifts, depending on how you're driving the car, acceleration rate, etc. Thus we have the IVT.

I drove a 2009 Suzuki with a CVT, and I really didn't care for it, although it was very smooth.
I also had one on my 1960 HD Topper Motor Scooter. (100% mechanical)

Cheers Mate, and Happy Trails to you,
Just want to clarify, the transmission in the 2020 soul with the 2.0 is in fact a CVT. They call it an IVT (Intelligent Variable Transmission), but that is just KIA's marketing term. It really is still a CVT (Continually Variable Transmission), it's the software creating the 'feel' of a traditional automatic transmission that is setting it apart from other manufacturers.

And from what all of you are saying about it, they've done a heck of a job with it :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
"they've done a heck of a job with it"

Well, that is true. But lets agree to STOP calling the 2020 AT a CVT, because it's no more a simple CVT than a motor scooter engine is the same as a 427 Corvette Engine. They are NOT the same....they're different.

Let me repeat what I said before....I drove a car with an early CVT from Suzuki, and it was not even close to the IVT in the 2020 Soul. I would have never bought that Suzuki with the CVT, but after just one test drive in a 2020 Soul, I bought it and took it home the same day.

Move the selector lever to the Manual Shift position and the IVT transforms into a completely different AT. In fact it's very much like the AT in my 2013 Soul. With the 'hammer down' the At will let the engine rev up to the Rev-Limiter before it will automatically shift to the next higher gear. My 2013 did the same thing when in manual mode.
And when coming off of the Interstate highway, and decelerating, I can downshift to slow the car down, without having to use the brakes. Saves the brake pads, which are not covered under warranty. That works as well as the "Jake Brake" on a big '18 Wheeler'. It doesn't make as much noise though. lol

Can anyone tell yet? I'm starting to have a real Love Affair with my little Jem.

Now, if I can just live long enough to get her paid off at the bank. :)

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
190 Posts
The manufacturers (all of them) don't want most people to think about technical things. It's obvious with new transmissions, if it doesn't have 3 pedals and require driver interaction it's "an automatic". All versions of CVT, DCT, planetary gearsset AT, and no clutch no stick computerized MT are considered automatics by the car industry.
I agree with both sides. Mechanically the guts of Kia's new "automatic" are a modern version CVT, but that doesn't make it the same CVT produced 20 years ago.

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
to clarify CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) is a generic term for any transmission that operates this way - "is an automatic transmission that can change seamlessly through a continuous range of effective gear ratios".

This is what the IVT from Kia does (0.385 ~ 2.680), however this does not mean that all CVT's are built or operate identical as this is also the case with traditional automatic transmissions.

this is an interesting and informative article on the subject:
https://www.leasecosts.ca/en/articles/difference-between-cvt-and-automatic-transmission

·
Registered
183 Posts
As I said, and no offense was intended to anyone (damn has KIA done a good job of programming their transmission, lol), it's a CVT in the 2020 non turbo souls.

and to use FLH's example of a scooter engine vs a 427 vette engine. Well, they are both piston driven internal combustion engines. They are both based on the same technology. The DO give a VASTLY different driving experience, but when you break it down they are the same 'type' of engine. Similar to how what KIA calls an IVT and what Subaru (honda,nissan,whoever) calls a CVT. They are using the same basic technologies. Two vastly different driving experiences.

To go with a similar analogy, if a CVT is like a vette engine, then a different transmission (pick your poison: manual, dct, traditional auto/torque converter combo) could be equated to a wankel rotary engine. or a steam engine. Or an electric motor. They all give you the same end results, but get you there very differently.

In the end, it REALLY doesn't matter, since we are all pretty happy with the cars we've brought home, right?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
"they've done a heck of a job with it"

Well, that is true. But lets agree to STOP calling the 2020 AT a CVT, because it's no more a simple CVT than a motor scooter engine is the same as a 427 Corvette Engine. They are NOT the same....they're different.

Let me repeat what I said before....I drove a car with an early CVT from Suzuki, and it was not even close to the IVT in the 2020 Soul. I would have never bought that Suzuki with the CVT, but after just one test drive in a 2020 Soul, I bought it and took it home the same day.

Move the selector lever to the Manual Shift position and the IVT transforms into a completely different AT. In fact it's very much like the AT in my 2013 Soul. With the 'hammer down' the At will let the engine rev up to the Rev-Limiter before it will automatically shift to the next higher gear. My 2013 did the same thing when in manual mode.
And when coming off of the Interstate highway, and decelerating, I can downshift to slow the car down, without having to use the brakes. Saves the brake pads, which are not covered under warranty. That works as well as the "Jake Brake" on a big '18 Wheeler'. It doesn't make as much noise though. lol

Can anyone tell yet? I'm starting to have a real Love Affair with my little Jem.

Now, if I can just live long enough to get her paid off at the bank. :)

Cheers Mates!

I have to be honest, but I don't know if I'd agree with the comparison. I don't think the IVT is as big a leap from a CVT as a motor scooter engine is to a 427. Having said that, based on this information https://www.centennialautogroup.ca/en-CA/5-reasons-the-2019-kia-fortes-intelligent-variable-transmission-is-a-class-leader I can see why it is being hailed as better than standard CVTs. It'll be interesting to see how reliable this transmission is over conventional transmissions.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Whatever you want to call it, , , it does move the Soul down the road with amazing ease and very peppy acceleration.

And anyone who doesn't already know that, just hasn't figured out how to drive the car yet.

July 4th.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's a lot of miles on a car that was returned. Did the dealership make you pay for any of the miles?
No, I did not have to pay for any miles!
I had them write me a statement that I would not be charged for any mileage or depreciation for the 2020 which they told me was a done deal ( but was not).

I really am curious as to what their explanation would be to the next buyer of that 2020 GT Line with over 4,000 miles on it as a brand new car!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
They have their ways, don't worry about that.

Years ago, a good friend of mine came on the 2M radio and was telling me about this NEW Chevy Citation that he had just bought. His description of it made me want to see it, so I drove over to his house, and sure enough, it was the same car I'd driven for at least a year, before I traded it in for a Chevy X11.

I looked under the dash and there was the end of the Coaxial Cable that I had installed in the car for my 2M Ham Radio.
The other end of that same cable was up inside the dome light. lol lol lol
We had a good laugh about that. He used that same coaxial cable to hook up his own radio.

He could have sued that dealer, but he didn't because he knew how well I took care of that little car, and he did get a good deal on it.

As long as they sell your car with a full warranty, it shouldn't be too bad. You did take good care of it....Right?

Cheers, and happy Motoring,

PS: When I returned my GT Line after just four days, it cost me $3000, to trade down to an LX.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
No, I did not have to pay for any miles!
I had them write me a statement that I would not be charged for any mileage or depreciation for the 2020 which they told me was a done deal ( but was not).

I really am curious as to what their explanation would be to the next buyer of that 2020 GT Line with over 4,000 miles on it as a brand new car!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This will be a loaner vehicle, showroom model or manager special. Considering that they sell used models for more than new (since new models come with tons of incentives), they won't be losing any money.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts