Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, not sure how many people were aware of my issues with the DCT and the 1.6t. After having one transmission replaced, I didn't want to risk issues with the next 40K miles. Even with a new transmission, I still felt the weird DCT feel a little jittery. Enter last night. I had my vehicle appraised and the blue below just called to me like a siren at sea. I'm still figuring everything out, but at least the initial throttle tip in doesn't make me feel like I'm driving drunk. One thing this one has that I'm not really fond of, the engine cut off. I can't imagine much gas is being saved by cutting the fuel for the second I come to a stop at a stop sign. Oh well, hopefully this one will last longer....

20190424-193314.jpg

View attachment 120087

20190425-174127.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking ride, good luck. Is it an EX? If so, did you get the tech package? Interested if that package is worth the money one has to pay for a handfull of LEDs.
Thanks, and yeah it did run a little pricey for the tech package as an EX with some sort of IVT moniker behind it. I didn't know that the GT package came without the 1.6T or else I may have just gotten that package. I did get $1000 in incentives which was a surprise to me. It came with a wireless charging station and all the safety features like lane assist, etc. I'll upload the window sticker when I get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
...little pricey for the tech package as an EX with some sort of IVT moniker behind it...GT package came without the 1.6T...I did get $1000 in incentives which was a surprise to me...I'll upload the window sticker when I get a chance.
The tech package adds about 1500 I believe. It includes LED lights, the designer (two tone or special paint) and some interior cloth and leather seat upgrade. To me, I don't really like the two tone paint schemes so the package is not worth it to me since I don't care about the LED lamp upgrade. The GT line non turbo does not come with many extra featues other than some paint splashes. It is cheaper than the EX model though.

The GT-line has a package that can be had but the basic price of the GT-line is the same as the LX auto. The upgrade package includes some safety features, some interior trinketts and the all important sun roof. The local dealer here is choked with 2020 models (186 as of last count).

I agree with you though, I wouldn't want the GT Turbo with all the DCT problems I have read about here. Speed is a young man's venue, I slowed down years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
TXSSOUL...I had been following your issues with the 1.6 turbo and DCT. When I purchased my 2020 EX last week, I had decided to stay away from the DCT, and at my stage of life, I don't need the extra power with the turbo. Wish you the best with your new EX. Mine is gold with a white top.

I don't like the engine cut-off. I try to remember to press the off switch after I start the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I don't like the engine cut-off. I try to remember to press the off switch after I start the vehicle.
I wonder if there's a way a tech could set the Start/Stop default to off? Or has Kia made that impossible to do.

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
Nice looking ride, good luck. Is it an EX? If so, did you get the tech package? Interested if that package is worth the money one has to pay for a handfull of LEDs.
it's called the Designer Package :joyous:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I drive in stop and go traffic 3 hours a day to got to work and back. I initially hated the start/stop, but I made myself leave it on for a couple of days, and in that situation, it made a substantial difference in my mileage (5-8 mpg higher with it enabled). So I'm learning to appreciate it a bit more. I'm amazed that I'm getting an average of 35mpg in a 200hp turbocharged box.
With that being said, if I'm not driving in rush hour traffic, I turn it off. That momentary hesitation of waiting for the motor to fire has caused me to spin the tires more times than I want to admit (light turns green, foot off the brake and on the gas, THEN the engine starts, followed by spinning wheels and tire smoke....)

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I drive in stop and go traffic 3 hours a day to got to work and back. I initially hated the start/stop, but I made myself leave it on for a couple of days, and in that situation, it made a substantial difference in my mileage (5-8 mpg higher with it enabled). So I'm learning to appreciate it a bit more. I'm amazed that I'm getting an average of 35mpg in a 200hp turbocharged box.
With that being said, if I'm not driving in rush hour traffic, I turn it off. That momentary hesitation of waiting for the motor to fire has caused me to spin the tires more times than I want to admit (light turns green, foot off the brake and on the gas, THEN the engine starts, followed by spinning wheels and tire smoke....)
That's good to hear dee. I was curious how the DCT works in stop & go traffic. Adding Start/Stop to that sounded even worse to me. Glad that's not the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Currently in talks with my local service center about the start/stop on my 2020 gt line non turbo.
Waiting on a reply from the Manufacture to see if its is a option to have it default to off on start up.

Congratulation on the new ride btw.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
it's called the Designer Package :joyous:
I don't think it is the designer series Trevor,the designer series has the same body kit as the GT-line IE: different front and rear bumpers and side sills body colored with the red stripe. That looks to be an EX.

Pat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wonder if there's a way a tech could set the Start/Stop default to off? Or has Kia made that impossible to do.
Any good stereo/alarm shop can make you a simple circuit that delays a switch after cranking that will tick the button automatically each time you start the car. Basically "pressing" it for you.
I forsee aftermarket ones being made soon if the programmers can't make it happen.

What an annoying feature. Especially in hot summers when you need the AC running constantly in traffic.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
I don't think it is the designer series Trevor,the designer series has the same body kit as the GT-line IE: different front and rear bumpers and side sills body colored with the red stripe. That looks to be an EX.

Pat.
I believe that I made the mistake calling it a Tech package. I did describe it correctly but it is actually called the Designer Collection, Trevor is correct. There is also another designer package which is just a two tone paint job on the GT line trim that is just a paint job, not a package.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

One of the biggest turn offs for me (no pun intended) with the stop/start feature is that it stops spinning the A/C so that you only get vent air, and not A/C. I think in stop and go traffic, you definitely want as much A/C as you can get, although it may be more beating than the engine can manage.

Here's my window sticker, I think....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
God! That Blue is just gorgeous! I had a car that color a few years ago and I really loved it!! But, that company went out of business. :(

But, here in the tropics (Florida) dark colors just don't get it!

My brand new, (today) Kia Soul LX (sort of the Base Model) has the Pearl White paint on it with a clear overcoat and it's just beautiful.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
One of the biggest turn offs for me (no pun intended) with the stop/start feature is that it stops spinning the A/C so that you only get vent air, and not A/C. I think in stop and go traffic, you definitely want as much A/C as you can get, although it may be more beating than the engine can manage.

Here's my window sticker, I think....

Looks familiar! That ON-OFF feature is driving me nuts. It puts an extra drain on the battery and starter, and for most of us has no real value.
You can turn it off for the trip, with the button on the dashboard, but surely there must be some way to kill it permanently. I'll be looking into that.

Possibly a "re-flash" of the ECC would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I find the title of this thread most interesting.

On Monday of this week, I traded my 2013 Kia Soul Base model, for a 2010 GT Line Kia Soul. That was what I got but not what I wanted. I wanted another Base model similar to my 2013.

The 2020 Base model comes with 16" steel wheels and Hankook tires. While the GT Line comes with 18" Alloy rims and 235x45x18R Hankook tires.

For reasons which I won't go into now, I wanted the 16" steel wheels and not the 18" allow wheels.

I called my dealership this morning and talked to the Big Boss and he invited me to come in for a conference on what we might do to rectify the situation.

I just wanted new wheels, but he offered to trade cars with me. I got a brand new, right off the truck, 2020 Kia Soul LX with only 3 miles on the meter.
She's a real sweetheart, and runs just great. With less buttons and options than the GT, I think she'll make me very good car. I've names her "Jem".

Laters!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
About this Discussion
136 Replies
23 Participants
nevets2968
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing