Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
454 Posts
I have a local hardware store with the side cutter machine, last time I made spares for the old soul it was $5 per key with the blank included.
Wow, that's a deal. For my Gen 2 I paid ~$5 I think for the blank off Amazon and $40 to get it cut - Post #16

·
Registered
2022 LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
An update, from what I can determine the locks from a 2020 should fit my 2022 so I ordered the lock with keys and the cover from kiaParts.com, about $70. Now while I wait I have to decide if I’m going to blow a day ata dealer to see why my emergency lock doesn’t work or take it out myself, although I’m leaning toward letting them correct it just in case it’s deeper then the lock itself.

·
Registered
706 Posts
An update, from what I can determine the locks from a 2020 should fit my 2022 so I ordered the lock with keys and the cover from kiaParts.com, about $70. Now while I wait I have to decide if I’m going to blow a day ata dealer to see why my emergency lock doesn’t work or take it out myself, although I’m leaning toward letting them correct it just in case it’s deeper then the lock itself.
You have a new car with a warranty. Why on earth would you pay to fix the lock yourself??

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
2022 LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You have a new car with a warranty. Why on earth would you pay to fix the lock yourself??
Mainly to save a day, dealers are about an hour and a half away, 3 hours round trip plus however long they take…
I will probably have them fix it but a lot of time lost.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mainly to save a day, dealers are about an hour and a half away, 3 hours round trip plus however long they take…
I will probably have them fix it but a lot of time lost.
Oh, I didn’t realize your dealer was so far. That stinks, but maybe, depending on what time they finish it, you could get some other errands in while you’re up there so the day isn’t a total loss.

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
2022 LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh, I didn’t realize your dealer was so far. That stinks, but maybe, depending on what time they finish it, you could get some other errands in while your up there so the day isn’t a total loss.
Yea, if I can get in early and they don’t take to long maybe I can get a Costco trip in (a major event for those of us who live in the hills. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, had a second gen lx and now have a 2022 lx
i scuba dive and would like the ability to have a dumb key just to open the door yet this new car doesn’t even have a key lock (I’m aware of the hidden “emergency” lock under the rear of the drivers door handle, it doesn’t do anything even when accessed)

my hope is there is some retrofit of a previous models door lock/ handle etc. does anyone know if this is feasibl/possible?

thank you for any assistance you can provide.
I detest key fobs. They're bulky. For my last couple of Kia's, I've gone to the dealership parts dept and they've made a non-transponding key for me. I had one for my '12 & '17 Forte, and for my '16 and present '21 Soul. That is, I've used it to manually unlock the car and start it. Cost? About $10. But if your hidden lock isn't responding to even your fob key, that's a dealer issue.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You know....we're all on the edge of our seats, waiting to hear what the problem turns out to be.
Well, at least I am.
It's a real Cliff Hanger!

I can think of a few obvious causes of that problem, but only YOU can tell us which one was the culprit. So, Please!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
In many places, you can't even get a pint of brew for just $4.00
It's a steal!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you mean "accessed"???
Does that mean, you removed the cover, inserted your key in the lock and turned the key?
Strange, that worked just fine for me!
View attachment 138380
Maybe you're just wasting your time, and ours. GO see your dealer.
What...? is there something like this for the 2020? I have had this car for 2 years and didn't know that there was something like this.. I have always worried about not being able to get in to the car (other than breaking the little back window) should something electrical mess up..

·
Registered
493 Posts
What...? is there something like this for the 2020? I have had this car for 2 years and didn't know that there was something like this.. I have always worried about not being able to get in to the car (other than breaking the little back window) should something electrical mess up..
There is something about this in the owners manual. Have you read the manual?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I found a pretty good Write-Up in the Owners Manual, but the picture of the lock and the key hole, really sucked, so I took my own.
And I've posted it several times on different threads on this very forum. Here it is again. I don't mind!
Automotive lighting Grey Automotive design Gadget Automotive exterior
The hidden key hole, with plastic cover removed. That little cover, prys off from under neath, with a key or screwdriver.

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Automotive mirror Street light

And, the same key hole with my Switch Blade key inserted. It works too!

I've been tempted to see if I can get a Flat Key made that will work with this lock. I had one for my 2013 Soul, that I carried in my wallet. Does anyone have one? It's just a mechanical key, not a 'Chip Key'.
It should be a snap to make, for any lock shop with the proper key cutting machine.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2022 LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I found a pretty good Write-Up in the Owners Manual, but the picture of the lock and the key hole, really sucked, so I took my own.
And I've posted it several times on different threads on this very forum. Here it is again. I don't mind!
View attachment 138683 The hidden key hole, with plastic cover removed. That little cover, prys off from under neath, with a key or screwdriver.

View attachment 138684
And, the same key hole with my Switch Blade key inserted. It works too!

I've been tempted to see if I can get a Flat Key made that will work with this lock. I had one for my 2013 Soul, that I carried in my wallet. Does anyone have one? It's just a mechanical key, not a 'Chip Key'.
It should be a snap to make, for any lock shop with the proper key cutting machine.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:
You can remove the blade from the fob and use that as a wallet key, the new blade is pretty cheap. my Lock is now fixed but haven’t had the new blank cut yet since the local hardware store is waiting to have their machine repaired or replaced. I still think the hidden key hole is lame but at least it’s there.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If you ever had a door key hole frozen solid with ICE on a very cold winter day, and had to go back in the house for a pot of HOT water, or the Propane Torch, to thaw the lock....you might appreciate a weather proof cover over the lock. I do!
Of course, here in FL, frozen locks are not a big deal. But where I lived for many years, in the Mid West, it was a common thing.

But, I've been driving KIA Souls since 2012, and never once had to use a key to get into my car.
The key fob just always worked. Just once, on my 2013 Soul, I had to have the battery replaced in my Key Fob, and my dealer took care of that....NO CHARGE!

·
Registered
2022 LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If you ever had a door key hole frozen solid with ICE on a very cold winter day, and had to go back in the house for a pot of HOT water, or the Propane Torch, to thaw the lock....you might appreciate a weather proof cover over the lock. I do!
Of course, here in FL, frozen locks are not a big deal. But where I lived for many years, in the Mid West, it was a common thing.

But, I've been driving KIA Souls since 2012, and never once had to use a key to get into my car.
The key fob just always worked. Just once, on my 2013 Soul, I had to have the battery replaced in my Key Fob, and my dealer took care of that....NO CHARGE!

If you go back to the first post you’ll see why I want a door lock that I can use manually, I live where we do get snow but never had the lock freeze but I have had the door freeze shut.

·
Registered
706 Posts

Mine doesn’t have keyless entry (because the manual Soul didn’t come with it 😢) and I’ve already experienced frozen locks a couple of times. Something I forgot all about because my cars over the past 20 years had keyless entry.

Because they use so much salt on the roads I subscribed to an unlimited car wash plan for $25 a month, and after the last snowstorm I washed the car. The next day it was in the single digits and I couldn’t unlock my car!

I had some lock lubricant that also works as a de-icer and used that and a few mins later I was able to get in.

I’m seriously thinking of having a keyless entry gadget installed, but for the mean time I was thinking of using a little piece of painters tape over the keyhole before I go through the car wash.

I’d like to know what you mean by “weather proof cover”. I looked on Amazon for something like a little plug that would pop in the key hole but came up empty.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If your doors are freezing shut, wipe the door seals down with spray silicone. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
312 Posts
Neat fact, back in the day, if you had an Audi that didn't come with a key fob, but had the cold weather package, it actually had heated door locks. You would lift the outside handle just a little bit and it would heat up the lock cylinder in about 5 seconds. Then you could put the key in and turn away!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts