Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had a second gen lx and now have a 2022 lx
i scuba dive and would like the ability to have a dumb key just to open the door yet this new car doesn’t even have a key lock (I’m aware of the hidden “emergency” lock under the rear of the drivers door handle, it doesn’t do anything even when accessed)

my hope is there is some retrofit of a previous models door lock/ handle etc. does anyone know if this is feasibl/possible?

thank you for any assistance you can provide.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
What do you mean "accessed"???
Does that mean, you removed the cover, inserted your key in the lock and turned the key?
Strange, that worked just fine for me!
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Automotive mirror Street light

Maybe you're just wasting your time, and ours. GO see your dealer.
:cool:

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean "accessed"???
Does that mean, you removed the cover, inserted your key in the lock and turned the key?
Strange, that worked just fine for me!
View attachment 138380
Maybe you're just wasting your time, and ours. GO see your dealer.
Did inadvertently kick over a rock and let the troll loose? Perhaps your time is so valuable that you don’t have time to troll but make an exception for me, I’m honored!

yes, I take off the cover and put the key in and turn it, nothing happens, if that weren’t clear already. GO see a psychiatrist and you may learn to say nothing when you have nothing to say.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Maybe you could have been more precise in your explanation. Or maybe just called your dealer first.
Sorry if I made you mad, but you see, I did try to answer your question.
My key works just fine in my own lock, and why yours does not is beyond the ability of anyone here to fix.
At first guess, it appears that something inside your door has become disconnected.

If you read through this forum,you'll see that a good share of complaints result in the answer, "Go see your dealer. Or, Call your dealer". Because, that's the only correct answer. Your car should still be under warranty.

Again, I apologize if I've offended you.

Happy Holidays,

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you could have been more precise in your explanation. Or maybe just called your dealer first.
Sorry if I made you mad, but you see, I did try to answer your question.
My key works just fine in my own lock, and why yours does not is beyond the ability of anyone here to fix.
At first guess, it appears that something inside your door has become disconnected.

If you read through this forum,you'll see that a good share of complaints result in the answer, "Go see your dealer. Or, Call your dealer". Because, that's the only correct answer. Your car should still be under warranty.

Again, I apologize if I've offended you.

Happy Holidays,
No problem, I was asking because the emergency “key lock” doesn’t work, there are fewer than 1000 miles on the car, I would hope something hasn’t become disconnected although it’s possible. The dealer/dealers are over an hour and a half away so at some point I will go to one of them if it’s the only solution but I’m hoping it’s not. Not a fan of phone calling and running the gauntlet of clueless people for a problem that not an issue for most buyers.
thank you for the answer nonetheless, I have searched the forum as well as the wider web and seem to perceive a problem that few others would have ever conceived of.

take care

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm sorry, but I guess I can't relate to anyone living so far away from a KIA dealer.
I can reach five KIA dealers within an hours drive of where I live.
You didn't fill out your location information in your Control Panel so we have no idea where you live.
That always helps us relate to someone with a question or a problem.
I only say I live in Central Fl. because I don't live in any town, but out in the boonies, twenty miles from any one of three towns, and 30 miles from my own KIA dealer.
Many times I've just picked up the phone and talked to my Service Writer of 9 years. If he can't answer a question, he'll call on someone who can. At this point, my best suggestion is that you try it.
Not today......it's Sunday, but maybe tomorrow.
So far, I've never had to use the emergency entrance technique, but I did try it once, and I know it worked.

Good Luck,
FLH :cool:

Reactions: LPV

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
127 Posts
Hi all, had a second gen lx and now have a 2022 lx
i scuba dive and would like the ability to have a dumb key just to open the door yet this new car doesn’t even have a key lock (I’m aware of the hidden “emergency” lock under the rear of the drivers door handle, it doesn’t do anything even when accessed)

my hope is there is some retrofit of a previous models door lock/ handle etc. does anyone know if this is feasibl/possible?

thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Can’t help with getting a dumb key (my 2020 lx 6-speed only has a key, no keyless or fob for me) or why your lock tumbler does not work; however, why not throw your smart key in a waterproof bag with the rest of your gear you leave ashore or on the boat. You could also get a magnet hide-a-key box and store your key hidden on the car or some other place at the marina. Remember that keys only stop thieves that are either lazy or under resourced to have more sophisticated ways to steal your car. As for whatever you have in your car a good brick/ rock is a universal key for the would be thief.

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can’t help with getting a dumb key (my 2020 lx 6-speed only has a key, no keyless or fob for me) or why your lock tumbler does not work; however, why not throw your smart key in a waterproof bag with the rest of your gear you leave ashore or on the boat. You could also get a magnet hide-a-key box and store your key hidden on the car or some other place at the marina. Remember that keys only stop thieves that are either lazy or under resourced to have more sophisticated ways to steal your car. As for whatever you have in your car a good brick/ rock is a universal key for the would be thief.
I can do work arounds like hiding the key/fob, I dive in a dry suit so if I keep it on me in a waterproof container I can’t easily access it between dives, my thought are more along the line of using the key only hardware from something like your 2020, if those parts are compatible. The problem is if the fob gets wet because at some point every attempt to keep things dry will at some point fail, electronics and sea water don’t mix well. Since I have to go to the dealer to see about the emergency lock not working I should be able to find out if I can retro fit an older lock assembly to this car, if that’s possible I may be able to pick one up and do the change, key matching doesn’t matter for my plan.

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your key should absolutely work, your car is under warranty, they will correct the issue.
Agreed, I have no doubt they will make it work, losing a whole day isn’t great but that’s the price of living in the boonies.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can do work arounds like hiding the key/fob, I dive in a dry suit so if I keep it on me in a waterproof container I can’t easily access it between dives, my thought are more along the line of using the key only hardware from something like your 2020, if those parts are compatible. The problem is if the fob gets wet because at some point every attempt to keep things dry will at some point fail, electronics and sea water don’t mix well. Since I have to go to the dealer to see about the emergency lock not working I should be able to find out if I can retro fit an older lock assembly to this car, if that’s possible I may be able to pick one up and do the change, key matching doesn’t matter for my plan.
I would place good money that the only difference between your door handle and the one in my car is the trim for my door lock has nice hole for the lock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’m assuming you’re right.
I did a quick search on kiaparts.com and cross referenced part numbers to google images and unfortunately came up empty for the trim piece. My thoughts are it should be either the 82651-K000000 or the K0000 version of #3 (82652-K0010) which does not seem to exist. Lock & Hardware for 2020 Kia Soul | Kia Parts

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 2020 LX Soul and did buy a spare plane key. Had it cut at the dealership for about $125. Though I thought it was a stupid idea covering the door handle lock hole! New Emergency Key Insert Uncut Blade Replacement for Kia Blade KK12 2019 to 2021 | eBay
Cool, one of those will do the job once I get the lock repaired. In reality few people will ever need to use that hidden lock so I understand the move toward phasing them out but since they still include a keyed lock under the cover they really aren’t saving anything in parts count it seems.

thank you.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
434 Posts
Cool, one of those will do the job once I get the lock repaired.....
If you want to save some money (but also spend more time) call around to local locksmiths to see what they would charge to cut the key.

·
Registered
2022 LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you want to save some money (but also spend more time) call around to local locksmiths to see what they would charge to cut the key.
I have a local hardware store with the side cutter machine, last time I made spares for the old soul it was $5 per key with the blank included.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts