Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic: Urban driver with 2015 Soul + driven by my daughter.

Issue: Small door dings from cars as they open their doors.

Solution: 1. Live with it
2. Park a long way from other vehicles. ( I am having my daughter park in lots close to her destination. Don't want her walking a long way in Urban Seattle.
3. Body shop that can either push out the ding or use some suction method to pull it out? For me this is most desired. I hate small dings to the body panels. Is there a cost effective method a body shop has to keep the car pure?

4. On scratches it is hard to imagine not having to either buff out or wet sand at the minimum or have the door repainted at a maximum....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Tom

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Lol, "urban Seattle", you make it sound like it's El Paso.

If you figure that each ding or scratch will cost you a couple of hundred bucks to fix, this car is going to cost you your pension in a couple of years. What the heck is wrong with dads these days? It's a car for a tween, she'll have 10 scratches in her first mall visit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
body shops are expensive. hundreds of dollars for each place of damage or use insurance which still has deductible and then rates go up for using it.

or

Try the new small businesses that call themselves Paintless body damage repair, or something like that. I see ads in the car washes I visit. They charge very much less because they use suction or other non invasive means but cannot do it all. Some damage has to have body shops do the job. Good luck. My car has less than 2000 miles and has been hit twice already.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,414 Posts
Hey Tomm, as a fellow frequent navigator in and around Seattle, you can rest assured this happens just as often outside Seattle. Dings are caused be people who don't care about that kind of thing, and most often, by kids.

She won't have to park and walk along way. I can understand your safety concern. She just has to park smart, 1/4" out of reach from the other car (if possible). Educate her to look for defensive parking spots, like end stalls. Park next to cars in good shape, not junkers. Try to park in the center of the stall, not on the lines.

I've had my Soul 21 months now, and gasp, not a single ding. That has never happened before with any other car. But I am defensive of where I park. If it works in your household, enact a "dent cost sharing" plan. That will give her an incentive now and in the future to be aware of the cars she parks next to. I know you can't always control who parks next to you once you leave, but using brain matter can go a long way.

I HATE DENTS TOO!

Scotty Kilmer shows a less expensive, paintless way to have dents removed:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would say a mixture of 2 with a dash of 1. Unless it is really bad, then get it fixed. You could try the places like dent wizard ( the paintless dent repair places) if the paint isn't cracked, but is still expensive no matter what.
If you are worried about your daughter getting dings on a car, why get her a new one? When I learned to drive I had to buy my own car and pay for everything. I was rocking a stylish 80 Citation ( in 94 ).
Now I don't live in Seattle, but I have stayed with friends who do live there many times in the past 20 years. I wouldn't really say I had an impression of the city being rough, or crime ridden. Now if you lived in San Antonio, I would say armor your Soul cause that place scared the crap out of me when I was there for work for a month.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ah! The dreaded teenage daughter dents up her new vehicle stage.
A 16 yr old driver,this is gonna happen.
Why? Wish I new.
I have experienced this a few times. With two daughters,one took pretty good care
of her car. Parked it in spaces with enough space to prevent dings etc. Drove
conservatively. Appreciated having a nice vehicle. Was actually a early car guy
in the works.Bought a Karman Ghia convert for her. A bit much of a classic to drive
everyday. Garaged it and bought a VW cabrio. Has been a VW person ever since . Now
has a GTI in adulthood.
Youngest daughter,polar opposite. Had to have what was the hot car.Others had.
Bought a Mitsu Eclipse. Was slowly dented,scratched on all panels. Ended up totaled
T-boned around a utility pole. She survived but ended up doing the same thing to a Civic.
No major wreck here but ended up in demolition derby shape.She now drives a Honda mini van
to carry my 3 grandkids. Never saw a more careful driver.

Kids do grow up. Its the WHEN that is the kicker.

So,what have I learned from my experiences and observing today's
young drivers?
Do not buy any vehicle that will give you concern about scratches and dings or,worse.
Do not buy a high performance/sports vehicle.
Hard to accept, but(drum roll),kids will lie. In addition,they will pass the buck whenever
the situation presents itself.

Thats the way it is my friend.
Maybe instead of getting those dings fixed,you should invest in the lame bandage covers
that somebody recently posted about.
I'd get a box.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Unless you carry enough bubble wrap with you to engulf your car at every parking venture, dings are gonna happen.
You just can't control the inconsiderate idiots who park next to you who swing open their doors with reckless abandon.
Seems the 20k car owners treat their car better and are more careful than the 120k car owners.
Couple that with sugar crazed children and door swinging seniors and the door ding battle becomes a losing one pronto!
In reality, the best time to repair door dings is the day you decide to sell your soul in hopes of fetching top dollar for it.
Question then is, will the potential gain outweigh the cost of the repairs?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Almost Mad Max,right?

Unless you carry enough bubble wrap with you to engulf you car at every parking venture, dings are gonna happen.
You just can't control the inconsiderate idiots who park next to you who swing open their doors with reckless abandon.
Seems the 20k car owners treat their car better and are more careful than the 120k car owners.
Couple that with sugar crazed children and door swinging seniors and the door ding battle becomes a losing one pronto!
In reality, the best time to repair door dings is the day you decide to sell your soul in hopes of fetching top dollar for it.
Question then is, will the potential gain outweigh the cost of the repairs?
Gotta agree with you-somewhat.
Much has to do where you live and,time you want to spend finding a less risk parking space.
Yep,the dreaded shopping cart problem is very real. This one is hard to avoid. Maybe park
uphill(most parking lots have a slope of sorts for drainage),
I've been very lucky in avoiding the everyday dings and scrapes over the years.
My wife,not as good. But not too bad. Tells you something about who may have more patience
in parking,male or female...
I also agree that the 20k car owner is more concerned on the scrapes than the guy in the Lexus
or beyond $$.

We gotta drive in the world we live in. Many inhabitants don't give a damn about your car.

By the way,regarding the OP from Seattle,I'd have bought a used Volvo or Subaru for the daughter.

One that already has the battle scars.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The newest mad max could be titled: "Mad Max Beyond Wallyworld"
Parking "uphill" works great if you are at the Top of that hill not somewhere in between.
The more I think of it, the more I like the bubble wrap and bungee cord method of parking lot protection.
Trouble is, here in NY, someone will probably steal my bubble wrap for their Christmas gifts or their pack & ship store.
I just sold my 2000 Dodge ram van. Bought it new in July 2000.
Not 1 single ding in the body! Not 1.
Why/how you ask?
Simple...driveway parked every day for 15 years!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think my worst ding above the front drivers side tire happened in the driveway at home from the nurse visiting my wife for home health care. It seems no place is safe!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I think my worst ding above the front drivers side tire happened in the driveway at home from the nurse visiting my wife for home health care. It seems no place is safe!

I had one of those visiting nurses for my wife as well.
Luckily she arrived on a broom not in a car!
Broom hilda is what I called her.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts