Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2021 Soul was built a few months after the recall dates. I only have 4k miles on it and I always feel hyper sensitive about potential engine ticking noises. I noticed that my engine has been louder over the past 6 months than when I first bough it. It also takes awhile to get the the RPM to idle at 1k on cold starts even on warm days. It used to turn on and idle under 1k RPM within 60 seconds with the engine being extremely quiet. I've always been a Ford guy and this is my first KIA. Does this engine sound "normal"? Link provided below (you might need to turn the volume on in the video).

vimeo.com/user189462418/

· Registered
547 Posts
I would change the motor oil and use full synthetic motor oil and a little thicker like 5w-30 weight. I also use prolong oil additive, they will give you an extra warranty if used. In the maintenance book, extreme driving conditions are to change the motor oil every 3750 miles. Keep your receipts!

· Registered
518 Posts
Billy Bob may have the closest to the truth opinion. If using an additive is included, I recommend Lubegard Bio/Tech Oil Protectant over Prolong.

· Registered
547 Posts
Billy Bob may have the closest to the truth opinion. If using an additive is included, I recommend Lubegard Bio/Tech Oil Protectant over Prolong.
I prefer Prolong due to the warranty.
Limited lifetime product engine warranty
All Prolong engine treatment products are backed with a free limited lifetime product engine warranty, which is available for vehicles that are less than 10 years old and have less than 100,000 miles on the odometer. To register, users can complete the warranty registration form that comes inside the Extended Life Engine Treatment package.
Material property Font Rectangle Advertising Electric blue

· Registered
3,092 Posts
In that video, read whats on the engine cover....."Dual Overhead Cam, 16 valves"! Yikes, that a lot of hardware moving around in there. And that's only in the TOP of the engine.

Even with 5W30 Full Synthetic oil and a shot of Prolong with every 3750 mile oil change, it still sounds like an industrial sewing machine. Gotta luv it!

OH Billybob, Prolong is way cheaper by the Gallon!
Font Electric blue Logo Magenta Brand

Happy Holidays, Mates!
:cool:

· Registered
156 Posts
That's normal for the KIA Atkinson engine, that is normal. I found it to be more noisy when you listen to it (as opposed to our 2013 Soul), but it's quiter inside the cabin than the 2013.

· Registered
547 Posts
What speed is she averaging?
Somewhere between 70 & 80 mph on I-75 between Macon Ga & Orlando Fl. The only thing I've done 5w-30 weight full synthetic motor oil, K&N air filter, 12 ounces of Prolong, we buy the cheapest gas I can find, and run 37 psi air in the tires. Right now she's driving back it is 70-75 degrees outside 11 am.

· Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
303 Posts
Somewhere between 70 & 80 mph on I-75 between Macon Ga & Orlando Fl. The only thing I've done 5w-30 weight full synthetic motor oil, K&N air filter, 12 ounces of Prolong, we buy the cheapest gas I can find, and run 37 psi air in the tires. Right now she's driving back it is 70-75 degrees outside 11 am.
I just ordered a K&N filter and a six pack of Prolongo.

· Registered
3,092 Posts
billybob, just curious here.... Does she use the 8th Gear (Overdrive) when out on the BIG ROAD?
I've found I can drive a little faster and still get good MPG, when using Overdrive, because the engine runs slower.
But to get MPG's up in the 40's, consistently, I have to keep her under 60 mph.
Just tooling along in overdrive, I know the engine is running, but I really can't hear it.

· Registered
518 Posts
I stopped Prolong (two OCIs) just prior to purchasing Lubegard Biotech. No regrets so far.
More anti-friction additives translates into less wear and less engine noise.

All of the parts inside your engine will be able to move with less stress and strain. That means they won't require as much fuel. Just like that, you've given your car's fuel efficiency a boost! You can even expect a performance improvement.

You need to try some Lubegard Biotech next OCI. Then weigh the pros and cons, like I did.
No turning back!!!!!! New School over Old School, whenever new school TGDI / GDI / MPI engines are present.

· Registered
547 Posts
I stopped Prolong (two OCIs) just prior to purchasing Lubegard Biotech. No regrets so far.
More anti-friction additives translates into less wear and less engine noise.

All of the parts inside your engine will be able to move with less stress and strain. That means they won't require as much fuel. Just like that, you've given your car's fuel efficiency a boost! You can even expect a performance improvement.

You need to try some Lubegard Biotech next OCI. Then weigh the pros and cons, like I did.
No turning back!!!!!! New School over Old School, whenever new school TGDI / GDI / MPI engines are present.
Does this come with a warranty like Prolong?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts