Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, don't exactly know where to put this (and truly don't know if this is related to Souls specifically at all), but I have been having difficulty pulling the relays in the engine compartment fuse box of my 2013 Soul +. They are REALLY wedged in there tightly, and I've destroyed the plastic cases of several of them trying to extract them with a variety of tools, including commercially available relay pliers. My Auto Shop teacher suggested seeing if Kia had a special tool for relay removal and searching Google I found this and bought it:

Relay Puller Pt # 09912-38000

Nickel Auto part Household hardware Font Tool

Does anyone know how this works? It came without instructions.. Searching for similar items on ebay I found some pictures with a white plastic piece attached to the knob, that mine didn't come with. Note also in the line drawing the "block" appears hollow, and mine certainly is not.

Font Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

It looked somewhat like a bearing puller so I figured the little hooks would go under the relay and you'd twist the knob and it would somehow lever it out.. But when the tool arrived it's obvious that isn't how it works at all. I'm guessing this is for another type of relay altogether? Any help would be appreciated!

Darrell

Household hardware Gas Wood Cylinder Electronic device
Hand Wood Gesture Finger Thumb

Automotive lighting Gas Revolver Automotive exterior Auto part
Wood Tool Door Machine Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No clue. I'm guessing how it should work is that as you turn the knob the hollow case closes around the relay such that you're holding it on 4 sides at the same time when you go to pull the relay out. I know what you mean about relays tough to pull out in there when I was working on my starter. What I found worked well for me was: get a set of needle nose pliers. Get as far down on the case as you can. Rock the relay out of the plug rather than trying to pull the entire thing straight out. Put a strip of electric tape over the entire relay case if necessary to give your pliers something to grab.

If you do end up popping the cover it really doesn't matter, just put it back on. I had to pop the cover on my starter relay to test the contacts. It's just held on there by two tiny plastic tangs. Considering that it has a cover, and the relay box has a cover, I wouldn't worry about it getting water in it or anything even if you have to just slide the cover back on.

In any case, this is kind of one of those solutions without a problem things. Ideally you shouldn't have to be pulling relays on a regular basis. When I pulled mine for the starter it was the first time I had opened the relay box in 9 years of ownership.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put a strip of electric tape over the entire relay case if necessary to give your pliers something to grab.

If you do end up popping the cover it really doesn't matter, just put it back on. I had to pop the cover on my starter relay to test the contacts. It's just held on there by two tiny plastic tangs. Considering that it has a cover, and the relay box has a cover, I wouldn't worry about it getting water in it or anything even if you have to just slide the cover back on.

In any case, this is kind of one of those solutions without a problem things. Ideally you shouldn't have to be pulling relays on a regular basis. When I pulled mine for the starter it was the first time I had opened the relay box in 9 years of ownership.
I like the idea of the tape. Maybe I could make a couple of 'ears' out of tape and use them to pull on as well, I'll let you know if that works, lol.

Normally I would agree with you on all of your points - before this Semester I think the relays were happily living in the fusebox under the cover since 2013.. However this Semester I'm taking an Automotive Electrical class, so we're in there 4 days a week for 16 weeks, pulling stuff in and out and doing circuit testing. Also I find it hard to believe it would be ok for a tech to completely mangle a customer's relays, no matter that they'd never see them. There are a couple other designs of puller I've seen online I might still try out, just for curiosity's sake, but I hope to find something in the free to inexpensive range first. I bought and returned the ubiquitous Lisle ones, as they didn't close tightly enough around the relay and all they did was scratch them up.

My teacher was the one who suggested I try the one I got simply because it was a Kia Special Tool, but the more I look at it the more I think it's either for some other kind of relay or for some long-discontinued model. I took it to Kia of Carson (supposedly the largest dealer in California) and they had no idea what it was or how to use it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, this one doesn't work either, lol.
Hand tool Pliers Wire stripper Tool Nipper

Don't get me wrong, it gets a nice tight grip on the outer case. Then it just rips the case off the base without pulling the relay :p I don't really think grip is a problem. It's how tight they are in the socket and the plastic tub they're sitting in makes it hard to get anything wedged in there under it without totally mangling it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts