Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Those places he shows are fine. They are very strong parts of the car that have to hold the weight of the car. Ive also used the bolt that goes into the subframe on the front lower control arm to jack the car up.

I use one of these rubber pinch weld adapters on my jack stands, and if I’m just jacking the car up for a few mins to change a tire, I use the rubber hockey puck adapter on my floor jack and use the pinch weld at the notches to jack it up.
Automotive tire White Light Product Rectangle

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All the places he shows? He didn't use any pinch weld adapter on the jack stand.

Whe using my floor jack near the pinch weld I use a block of scrap 2x4 placed alongside the pinch weld at the lift point.

And when want to have the car up for a longer period of time or to be safer versus solely using a floor jack, then in place of standard jack stands I use Unijacks.
He used the floor jack on the suspension parts and the jack stands on the pinch weld. You don’t have to use those rubber adapters, but I like them just to help keep the pinch welds from getting beat up. The block of wood is good too. You could even cut a groove in the center to go over the pinch like the hockey puck ones.

Shop lifts can fold over the pinch welds if the tech isn’t careful. My 2011 souls pinch welds were all bent out of shape from the guys at Firestone before I started doing my own maintenance on it, so I just used pliers to straighten them. Someone mentioned it’s not the pinch weld itself, but where those notches are, are the reinforced jack points so it doesn’t really matter if the “pinch” part is all bent out of shape.

That UniJack thing looks neat. How do you like it? Price isn’t as high as i thought it would be either.

Reactions: RickM46

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I want to put the car on Jackstands so I cant use the pinch weld places. I want to verify that I can use the other place he used to lift the car - he said it the place where the crossmembers connects to the body. as show in the picture
Is this the Bolt you are referring to in your answer ?
Yes. Exactly how he shows. Floor jack there, jack it up then put your jack stand on the pinch weld and lower the floor jack slowly on to the stand.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
when the floor jack is free crank it back until it's just touching where you jacked it from, then take the handle off. Now you have 3 support points. You can never have too many support points when you are working under a vehicle
That’s an excellent point. I do this too and will even lay the tire under the car right next to the jack stand. Also use wheel chocks (or a block of wood). You can never be too safe.

Reactions: jdmartin
1 - 4 of 4 Posts