Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2017 Base which does not have fog lights. I'm an Old Soul (59) and have owned cars with and without fog lights. Even when the car had them I never used them. I still think of fog lights as the yellow units on imported sports car. Are fog lights essential, useless, or somewhere in between for you. I'll admit that I never really "have to " be someplace if the weather is that bad.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Regarding fog lights, read your owner's manual. They take a lot of power to operated. We were shocked when we read the manual.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I tend to agree with you. BUT as time & technology (and accessories) marches on these things become a must have for alot of folks.

I don't have fog or LED driving lights. I admit they do look cool though. I feel like having them on would make me feel safer (visability wise), yet I recently read where daytime driving lights (all sorts) make little to no difference in real world accident avoidance. That was a surprise to me.

We're old enough to remember when regular cars didn't have clocks, seat belts, electric windows or door locks. Now with backup cameras, nannies & near driver free controls, cars have things that aren't needed to get from point A to B. Fog lights are defiantly in that category.

It's all good, there is no going back & putting the genie back in the bottle.

Onward......

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
I have them on my Soul (also had them on my previous 2012 model), but do not use them too often. If I didn't have them, it would not be something I would go to all the trouble and expense to install them.

I found them good for really poor visibility like snow storms where high beams are of little use and the fogs fill in immediately in front of the vehicle and enhance the visibility of the low beams. Also on very dark country roads they again increase the immediate visibility.

Remember they do not work with high beams or just on there own - it only functions with the low beam setting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine are on ALL the time when my lights are on, especially on the interstate. I find that folks get out of the way more for a lit up vehicle!! If you come up from behind without them folks won't move over, but with them many times they do move over. I also notice folks give no respect to my Soul so I think having the fog lights on obscures the vehicle for them. My motto when I pass folks is "You've been Soul-Rolled!!!"

This is a huge deal here in "home of the left lane camping corn chomping Nebraskan's"

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
I turned them on my 2010 Exclaim in 2010 and I have yet to turn them off!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think fog lights are a great idea if you're in an environment where they're useful. A few times a year, I'll be driving dark country roads with fog and lurking deer (10 miles without seeing another car, and forest close to the road), and when I had a car with fog lights they were very helpful. Also in really dark areas where the lane markings aren't too good, they help my old eyes to keep track of where the car is in the lane.

On the other hand, while they're good for daytime running lights, that can be done other ways (and some Souls do have DRLs).

Unfortunately, most aftermarket "fog" lights it's hard to tell if they have that sharp beam cutoff or if they're more floodlights. So (since my Soul didn't come with fogs) I don't have them. 95% of my driving is in the city, where they're irrelevant.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For those of you who have them always on...did you read your manual? It tells you not to do that because, as r17kia noted, they use a LOT of energy. It's not a great idea. As for functionality, I think they're largely useless and I rarely turn mine on. I was in very heavy fog one morning last week and turned them on to see what would happen. They definitely added more light down low, but it only extended a short distance, so it didn't help with overall visibility.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I've had them on a number of cars over the years. Every set was useless if your mission is improved visibility through superior lighting. As decorations, I suppose they're OK.

Long ago a friend replaced his fogs with aircraft landing lights. Now THOSE made a difference!

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
here's a close up of my OEM fogs

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
We just bought a 2017 Base which does not have fog lights. I'm an Old Soul (59) and have owned cars with and without fog lights. Even when the car had them I never used them. I still think of fog lights as the yellow units on imported sports car. Are fog lights essential, useless, or somewhere in between for you. I'll admit that I never really "have to " be someplace if the weather is that bad.
Me too. Fog usually happens in the early morning or late evening, and I'm almost NEVER out at those times.

So if I actually had Fog Lights, they would get very little or NO use.
I thought about adding them to my car, but with the cost for the OEM's, I decided against it.
I did see a set on the parts counter at my dealership, one day, and the lenses were amber (yellow).

As a kid in Iowa, my dad had several different cars and every one of them had the yellow Fog Lights, usually mounted to the front bumper. It was just a common thing, back in the day. Bright white lights have a tendency to reflect back from fog, rain or snow. The yellow lights don't do that, so they are much safer to use in those bad weather conditions.

Happy Trails, Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I installed fog lights just to fill those huge black blanks, but have never bothered to wire them up. Never found a need for them. But they sure look better than the blanks during the daylight hours!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Some guys have found little Chrome thingys to fill those gaping black holes. Much cheaper than fog lights. I've looked around but never found anything suitable, and CHEAP! But, still looking, even after five years. :wink:

I think I'll just paint mine with Chrome paint.

:cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
My base doesn't have fogs, but many of my cars have had them. As others have mentioned, they do a good job of lighting the road for about 10' in front of you. IMO, this doesn't do anything except provide cool factor. If I am relying on that last 10', then all I am getting is a quick glance at what I am about to hit. I have no business driving under those conditions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Modern cars these day are more considered driving lights not fog lights and the reflective pattern and color of lens should tell you that most call them fog no matter whats on the car.
Driving lights aren't 50 state legal, and tha6t keeps them from being a factory option. The fog lights are legal as long as they are wired and aimed in such a manner as to make them absolutely worthless. But they look cool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use them to pay back all the asshats that use them on a regular basis.

I hate "driving lights" with a passion, but I hate those who use them more than the lights.

If you cant see with the factory headlights, take an UBER or stay home. 4 lights wont help you one bit :glee:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
29 Participants
gregger
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing