Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice the gas cap design on my Kia Soul only takes a slight turn to to lock it in place , but I think the road vibration can cause it to get loose causing a evaporation leak that triggers the check engine light.

when I checked my gas cap it was loose , not tightened down

I used a code checker and got the code P0455 , stands for “Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP) Large Leak Detected”.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
110 Posts
I notice the gas cap design on my Kia Soul only takes a slight turn to to lock it in place , but I think the road vibration can cause it to get loose causing a evaporation leak that triggers the check engine light.

when I checked my gas cap it was loose , not tightened down

I used a code checker and got the code P0455 , stands for “Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP) Large Leak Detected”.
Yes, a Gas Cap is usually the first thing you check and or replace, especially if you think it’s having problems. Everyone on this forum that comments recommends using a genuine Kia part.

·
Registered
2022 LX with Tech Package
103 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Yep got a random small evap lake code like 2 weeks ago on the 2014. Retightened the cap and cleared the code hasn't been back since! And yes I replaced the gas cap recently as well before all this started! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
welcome to the club. I posted the same thing last month. Had the light go on, went to get it checked, said the EVAP thing was stuck. They checked it and after an hr (and about $120) all they found was a loose cap. THey tightened it and next fill up we made sure it was tight, no problems since. I'm thinking of buying a replacement cap anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there!
I have a 2015 exclaim, I also had the same issue a couple of months back. Getting a new gas cap solved my issue.
The issue I found with the gas cap was the rubber oring seal was was extremely compressed from all the turns I had done over the 7 years when filling the gas tank everytime. Once I got a new gas cap I kept the old one and looked at it a couple of days later and the rubber oring had magically uncompressed. I took it out,cleaned it, and put it back on the soul. Drove around for the next couple of weeks and the code never came back. But since I had already paid for a new gas cap I eventually put the new one back one I kept the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
15 Posts
good idea. I might do the same. My concern is my Soul's only 2 yrs old (technically 3) and a former rental. The cap shouldn't be broken down that much. However, I read that this is a common issue with the Soul, as well as the EVAP valve getting stuck, so I got that on my worry list too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The gas cap “problem“ is not just with Kia’s. I had a 2003 Chevy and if the gas cap was not tightened correctl, it would through the check engine light, as does my wife Subaru. I believe this happens with most modern cars.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
15 Posts
The gas cap “problem“ is not just with Kia’s. I had a 2003 Chevy and if the gas cap was not tightened correctl, it would through the check engine light, as does my wife Subaru. I believe this happens with most modern cars.
well, when you say "modern" how old are we talking? I had an '01 Crown Vic and it never had that problem.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Old? All manufacturers went to obd2 in 95 or 96. Ever since cars had computers gm always had live data. Before obd2 I absolutely hated working on fords. No live data, just codes. If one sensor fell out of range they would set lots of codes. You had to work through codes one at a time to get to the real problem. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts