Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two contenders for my next car;

2013 Kia Soul + with the 2.0 MPI and six speed manual, loaded, leather seats, wheel, shifter
118k for $9k

2010 Toyota Matrix 1.8 automatic, approx same miles, base interior/trim/stereo for $13k

I LOATHE automatics, so the Soul is ahead on there, it’s also more powerful ((165 vs 132)

The Matrix front passenger seat folds forward flat for long cargo (or camping) and the matrix can hold more cargo

The Toyota 1.8 is famous for its indestructible nature…

But it’s a bloody automatic, and $3k more for a 2 year older car

Is Toyota’s reputation for reliability worth the extra $3000?

I want to give the Soul a chance, but I also don’t want a “throwaway” car, I have zero experience with Kia/Hyundai, I know they’re pretty damn close to Toyota and Honda, so how is the Soul long term?

· Registered
1,583 Posts
Neighbor has a 12 . She bought it when it was a year or two old. Said she had very few problems with it. Nothing major. 100k now. She is getting ready to put it in the body shop cause some doofus backed into it, messed up the front bumper cover and broke one of the fog lights. So I guess she's planning on keeping it.

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,998 Posts

2013 Kia Soul + with the 2.0 MPI and six speed manual, loaded, leather seats, wheel, shifter
118k for $9k

2010 Toyota Matrix 1.8 automatic, approx same miles, base interior/trim/stereo for $13k

I LOATHE automatics, so the Soul is ahead on there, it’s also more powerful ((165 vs 132)

The Matrix front passenger seat folds forward flat for long cargo (or camping) and the matrix can hold more cargo

I want to give the Soul a chance, but I also don’t want a “throwaway” car, I have zero experience with Kia/Hyundai, I know they’re pretty damn close to Toyota and Honda, so how is the Soul long term?
It's all about maintenance and care. Frequent oil changes. Any car can be a "forever" car.

Your biggest obstacle in this case is buying someone else's car that has had it's best years (first 100,000 miles) and trusting they took excellent care of it.

Alot of "forever" cars only have one owner. Bought new. Try to keep your expectations low, but hopes high.

Reactions: rhysoul

· Registered
1,583 Posts
Pull the dipstick, if it's got varnish on it...pass. remove oil cap look inside with a light, if it looks clean and mostly shiny = good , means it's had regular oil changes. Ask for maintenance records if they have them = good. And if it checks out, dicker on price. I'd start at 7k. You can always go higher. Check out the under side for rust, torn cv boots, exhaust for holes. In other words look it over really good 👍.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
I don’t think any car with a bunch of computer modules will be “forever” cars. Even if the rest of the car is in mint condition, once a module goes bad some 25 years or whatever later, it’s going to be hard to find a replacement.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
After market companies rebuild things. Friend of mine has a 94 Ford ranger, computer went bad. Couldn't find one anywhere. I found a company that rebuilds them, sent it off , less than a week later had it back. They also gave a lifetime warranty on it.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ironically, the only Soul that looked to be in truly exceptional condition of the three I’ve tested at different dealers was this one (which I have to test drive);

And that’s a SALVAGE TITLE car, I spoke to the owner on the phone and he said it was no structural damage, just the left Front fender, headlight and I think hood, he has the “before” pictures on record if I want to see them…

the only honest shop so far and it’s a salvage rebuilder (amazing work, can’t even tell it was a total loss title…)

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Bwdz is a Kia tech so this would be a good thread to ask you what is Kia’s policy on the warranty of rebuilt salvage title cars. I’m referring to the KSDS 15/150 extension to the engine warranty. Will Kia still honor that if it was needed?

· Registered
1,583 Posts
Bwdz is a Kia tech so this would be a good thread to ask you what is Kia’s policy on the warranty of rebuilt salvage title cars. I’m referring to the KSDS 15/150 extension to the engine warranty. Will Kia still honor that if it was needed?
Could be wrong but in every case I've seen , salvage title voids the warranty. Don't know about Kia, never dealt with them about a salvage title.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Hmmm, I can't say for certain. The salvage title does void the factory warranty, that I know. However it does not void the safety recalls on the engine, meaning the service campaigns. Haven't dealt with that on a Soul but on the Theta II engines on the Optimas they certainly do replace them on reconstructed title cars under the pi1802.

· Registered
2013 plus
13 Posts

118k for $9k

All vehicles can last so long as the original owner took care of it. The soul is no different. Mine has gotten regular services with synthetic oil changes, I replaced the struts purely because some wear was noticeable and of course brakes and tires. I am a mechanic retired now but 45 years plus doing so and spent several years making resto rod early corvettes that won top prizes at the famous Hot August nights in Reno with them, so yeah I know a bit! Our soul got a paint job of my design when OEM failed. definitely one of a kind. So get the soul checked out by a good mechanic before purchase

· Registered
37 Posts
Pull the dipstick, if it's got varnish on it...pass. remove oil cap look inside with a light, if it looks clean and mostly shiny = good , means it's had regular oil changes. Ask for maintenance records if they have them = good. And if it checks out, dicker on price. I'd start at 7k. You can always go higher. Check out the under side for rust, torn cv boots, exhaust for holes. In other words look it over really good 👍.
That's correct. If the dipstick is burnt or yellow , even if the oil is good. It means the owner waited too long between oil changes and the viscosity of the oil broke down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts