Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
This post is for anyone out there who is contemplating buying a vehicle. Any vehicle. I know a little bit about this after purchasing 18 new vehicles in my lifetime.
1) Know your priorities (i.e.good mpg, seat comfort, roominess, field of vision, quietness etc.)
2) Research
3) Most important: Test drive (highway, stopping, cornering, radio, drive it in the rain or snow :friendly_wink: etc.)
4) Dealership experience; your own your own. Definitely do not put up with any impatience or rudeness. There are other dealers who will appreciate your business.
P.S. I am delighted with my Soul. No regrets.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
This post is for anyone out there who is contemplating buying a vehicle. Any vehicle. I know a little bit about this after purchasing 18 new vehicles in my lifetime.
1) Know your priorities (i.e.good mpg, seat comfort, roominess, field of vision, quietness etc.)
2) Research
3) Most important: Test drive (highway, stopping, cornering, radio, drive it in the rain or snow :friendly_wink: etc.)
4) Dealership experience; your own your own. Definitely do not put up with any impatience or rudeness. There are other dealers who will appreciate your business.
P.S. I am delighted with my Soul. No regrets.

For me, price has been the deciding factor on when/where/what I buy.
Am I saying i would be a car I deemed to be an unreliable $hit-box at any price, of course not!
Since I regard the Hyundai-Kia family of cars to be rock-solid reliable and I never intend to have them serviced at any dealership (warranty claims aside) the only factor left for me is price.
I'll tolerate bad behavior, dealership antics and salesmen stupidity all for the sake of that bottom line...Price.
I've seen/experienced pretty much all of it!
The bait & switch hustle, the upsell 2 step, the gotta ask the manager shuffle and the list goes on!
When the smoke clears and the living are separated from the dead and the showroom battle has been fought, I'm driving away with my new car for the price I wanted to pay.
Dealership relationships usually last about as long as it takes to draw up the contract.
You're just meat on a hook as you travel from sales floor to managers desk to after sales desk to prep-center.
Once you resign yourself to the awful truth, the whole procedure goes much quicker since we all know why we are there.
While this may not work for everyone, it certainly has worked for me in my car buying experience.
I don't want to hear about the great treatment I'll receive or the award winning accolades the dealership has received or the salesman awards for record sales.
Show me the car, I'll show you the $$$ or the sterling credit report, whichever you choose!
More on point though...The car has been a reliable ride for nearly 4 years now. Quirky yet reliable.
My selling dealership was everything I have described and then some.
Would I buy another soul, yes...yes I would.
I'm simply waiting for some more palatable colors to arrive and yes, I'll go thru this whole process yet again and buy another soul.

·
Registered
245 Posts
2 weeks into ownership: Things I've learned:

1. buy a stock of OEM oil filters. The one the dealership has on Sol is not OEM and will be coming off as soon as I get mine.
2. A good synthetic oil matching the viscosity and detergent rating on your oil filler cap is best.
3. The back seat is a bitch to remove.
4. The stock tires that came on my 2012 are junk in the winter.
5. No spare tire is provided but can be purchased.
6. Reading the manual is the best thing I could do to best utilize the features provided.
7. The detailers at the dealership are good at what they do. The car looked great for 2 weeks, then started showing it needs detailed again. So I did today. He looks good again.
8. If you fit a full sized spare in the space provided, the trunk organizer will no longer fit.
9. My car is black and is one hot box in the summer, but I imagine it will be an easy defrost in the winter. We shall see.
And last but not least, for the 10th and final lesson:
10. I love this little car. It is roomy, fun to drive, gadgets to keep my happy and looks good. I think it is one of the best vehicles I have ever personally purchased. I am excited about driving again for the first time in 10 years.

Do I regret buying my Soul? Hell no.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
First of all,look at the Soul at WHAT IT IS.

Its a great low cost people mover/MPV.

I bought my Soul as a utility vehicle.
I have several other cars.

It holds a lot of stuff.
Its easy to get in&out for your everyday errands.

Of course,you get what you pay for.
The interior parts are not first class. Many are modular.
Look at the front seats. A few visible bolts,they are out.

My dealer gave me a great price. Of course, the sales personnel
did not know jack about the details of the vehicle.
I do not buy a vehicle with the idea I have to return to the dealership.
I do for OEM oil filters which the price will vary by dealership.
No big deal.

I am happy with the Soul.
The jury is out on the longevity of it.

I prolly invested more than I should on some custom mods(carbon fiber etc.).
I am negative on owners trying to make a Soul into a performance vehicle.
It was not designed for that.

Thus far,its been great.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,536 Posts
I regret buying my Soul because it's very hard to pry myself from it. Being a serial car-flipper, I haven't been able to find anything that can touch the Soul on price/features/quality.

Really - As for example, I've driven the Honda HR-V (~$27K) and the Mazda CX-3 (~$27K). Both the Honda and the Mazda were loaded AWD versions. Other than leather and AWD, all other features are present on my Soul. Apart from having a different look to them, both cars can't justify their cost over the Kia. Neither car, in my opinion, drove/handled any better than the Kia (in normal street driving).

Just my opinion….
I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
Hey South Soul,

Sounds like you've done some great mods on your Soul. What year is it?

If you haven't experienced a Gen 2 Soul, I think you'll change your mind about the interior. Virtually all pro-reviewers and even Wards named it in the Top 10 best in the world (yes, the world) with the likes of Mercedes S550, Rolls Royce Wraith & Corvette Stingray. It no longer feels like a cheap people mover and is a pretty nice place to spend time in. Also, with the more rigid body (high strength steel) and sound deadening materials, it's much nicer & quieter on the highway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love mine. Unlike some, I expected there to be little power in the Soul, as it is an economy wagon. Having said that, I find that it has more pep than first expected. Sure, it's no race car, but that's not what I was looking for anyway. I wish I could afford a second one. I would so love to have two in the drive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I LOVE my Soul but I do regret not getting a Focus in a way.......of course now I can wait for the two door Ford Focus RS to come out and I'll have had my car 5 years by then and will be ready to move on to that ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I purchased my 2010 5MT base three months ago. So far, the only thing I've done to it is change the rear tires. I washed it for the first time today. I have a wife and 3 girls ... ages 10, 7, and 3. My other car is a Dodge Caravan. My wife's commuter is a 2003 325i. The Caravan and the 325i have horrible gas mileage. It's like throwing money away.

Prior to purchasing the Soul, I was looking into getting a 2010 Genesis 2.0t coupe. But price was a factor, and the Genesis coupe would have cost twice what I paid for the Soul ... AND not as good a family mover. Granted, I would love a RWD vehicle, but with three kids ... the coupe just isn't viable.

I enjoy the Soul. It's peppy, simple, and sips gas. The only thing I find frustrating is that it's poor on the twisties.

The MT is also a pain in the neck in NYC rush-hour traffic.

I'm probably gonna sell the Caravan soon. My wife wants to keep her 2003 325i ... and her 10 mpg local driving. But there's a chance we may pick up another used Soul for her in AT if a low-mileage one is available for a reasonable price.

No new cars for me. I pay in cash. No games. No nonsense. No comprehensive NYC car insurance.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hey South Soul,

Sounds like you've done some great mods on your Soul. What year is it?

If you haven't experienced a Gen 2 Soul, I think you'll change your mind about the interior. Virtually all pro-reviewers and even Wards named it in the Top 10 best in the world (yes, the world) with the likes of Mercedes S550, Rolls Royce Wraith & Corvette Stingray. It no longer feels like a cheap people mover and is a pretty nice place to spend time in. Also, with the more rigid body (high strength steel) and sound deadening materials, it's much nicer & quieter on the highway.
My Soul is a 2013. Last of Gen1.Its a +
Gen2 Soul. Yep,I've driven a few.
Yes,there are some improvements. They have
improved the interior(hate the "towers" off the dash though).
It is quieter etc. Performance wise,see no difference to my 2L 13'.
All in all,not enough difference in the Gen2 to matter.
In fact,for what the Soul was designed to do,I much prefer my Gen1.
Furthermore,I do design for a living. The exterior styling of the Gen2
has not improved the vehicle. The rear,with the god-awful black framing
is merely an attempt to make the rear appear smaller.

Possibly(I don't think so).Kia will develop a sport GT Soul that will change the designed
purpose of the vehicle. This would be a tough sell corporate wise .
Why mess with a vehicle that does an excellent job in the market at a very attractive price.
Nothing else can touch it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The fact nothing else can touch them for a vehicle with the options available is a truism.

I went out of my way to get a Soul. I'd do it again too!

H

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would definitely buy another Soul. In fact, I want to put on as many miles onto the car now as I can. Then I can get another one. h aha

Actually, we have two other cars which are getting up in age and miles. I'm thinking an AT Soul for wifie would work well. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
ehou01, you are not wrong. Currently my wife is driving my Ford Ranger. Not really what I want, but I drive so many miles every day, just my daily commute, that it was way more economical for me to start driving the car, and let the wife drive the truck. She goes about 8 miles a day, I go just over 50. 17mpg vs. 30. Guess which one I would rather drive? heheh.

My house is paid off in 10 months. At that time, I'll have just under 1500 extra a month that we don't have today. I'll pay this one off as fast as I can, which should be less than a year (I put 7700 down on it and only gave 14k, so ...) Then I can let my 2000 Ranger take a breather and just be a weekend warrior again.

I have 3 cars, the Ford, a Hyundai and now a Kia. I used to drive a 2002 Dodge Stratus, and I'll admit, I was fond of the car. It sheared off something in the tranny and ejected it out the front of the tranny case. Along with about half the guts of the tranny. It was a disaster. All the time and money I put into keeping that car alive, and no matter what, that tranny was going to blow eventually. No sense pounding more money into that pit, let's get a new car!!!

So, I've given my youngest son the Hyundai, Wife drives the truck and I drive the Soul. I'm back down to 2 cars, and I really don't like it. The sooner I can get a 3rd again, the better. I just believe in having a spare, and we manage to afford it ok, so why not. Not having one is a pain whenever I have one or the other in the shop.

Anyway, the point is, as soon as this one is paid off, I am most definitely getting my wife a Soul too. She doesn't do manual, so an AT it will be.

Or, I might get myself a brand new one, and give her this one.. Hey,,, I like that!!!!!

Have a great day gents!

H

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyway, the point is, as soon as this one is paid off, I am most definitely getting my wife a Soul too. She doesn't do manual, so an AT it will be.

H

It's nice to know that KIA offers such a wonderful car like the Soul at such a reasonable price, that we can afford two. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchase a used 2015 Kia Soul plus at 44,000 miles. At first I really was enjoying the car. Then the problems began. 1st problem is an intermittent starting problem. I can drive all day and then I would go to gas station and fill the car up with gas. Get inside the car and its completely dead. Nothing turn on inside of the car. It was not the battery, the starter, or alternator. Started looking online and notice complaints about this problem. I got tired of being stranded so I purchase a portable battery jumper. At this point I was jumping my car 4 to 5 times a day. My mechanic started researching the problem and contacted the dealership. What he found was a ground wire problem. He fix it and car is working again. Of course Kia would not take responsibility for the defect. Next problem was the car would not accelerate when trying to get on the highway or on an incline.The car was revving up and rpm increasing but car can't go pass 40 mph.. The problem is the catalytic converter....Found out there is a recall on catalytic converter
I contacted Kia Soul to see if my car qualify for the recall of course they said my VIN was not on the recall list. I have 115,000 miles on the car and guess what I need a catalytic converter. At this point I'm very disappointed in the performance of this car. I researched more online and found that the 2015 Kia Soul is the worst and has the most problems...

I'm very disappointed in this car and I find it to not be reliable...I will never buy another Kia Soul. I'm going to get rid of it....

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
I purchase a used 2015 Kia Soul plus at 44,000 miles. At first I really was enjoying the car. Then the problems began. 1st problem is an intermittent starting problem. I can drive all day and then I would go to gas station and fill the car up with gas. Get inside the car and its completely dead. Nothing turn on inside of the car. It was not the battery, the starter, or alternator. Started looking online and notice complaints about this problem. I got tired of being stranded so I purchase a portable battery jumper. At this point I was jumping my car 4 to 5 times a day. My mechanic started researching the problem and contacted the dealership. What he found was a ground wire problem. He fix it and car is working again. Of course Kia would not take responsibility for the defect. Next problem was the car would not accelerate when trying to get on the highway or on an incline.The car was revving up and rpm increasing but car can't go pass 40 mph.. The problem is the catalytic converter....Found out there is a recall on catalytic converter
I contacted Kia Soul to see if my car qualify for the recall of course they said my VIN was not on the recall list. I have 115,000 miles on the car and guess what I need a catalytic converter. At this point I'm very disappointed in the performance of this car. I researched more online and found that the 2015 Kia Soul is the worst and has the most problems...

I'm very disappointed in this car and I find it to not be reliable...I will never buy another Kia Soul. I'm going to get rid of it....
The 2015 Kia Soul has a slightly above-average reliability rating of 3.5 out of five from J.D. Power.Apr 11, 2019

Honestly it sounds like you are upset that the car required maintenance and/or repairs that aren't that unusual. If you have 115,000 miles on a catalytic converter, I'd say that's not too bad. I would have guessed a BAD ground as the first thing with your electrical issue. Knowledge is power with modern cars. Join a forum or open a customer account with the vehicles manufacturer to gain knowledge on your vehicle.

You purchased a used vehicle and so the first 44,000 miles you have no idea of how the vehicle was maintained. When buying a used car, the first thing to do is check if it's had all recalls and service campaigns performed. My friends Toyota 4Runner needed a new catalytic converter at 41,000 miles. Since Toyotas warranty is weak, 3 years, 36,000 miles, he was on the hook for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After reading a post by some one who changed their mind when it came to buying a SOUL because of what he/she read here on the forum I was thinking if any of you who now own a Kia SOUL regret buying this car for no matter what reason?

I am in NO way related to KIA and am just a regular guy who thought the car was cute, handy,damn good priced, took a test drive bought the Soul and now very happy with my "Hamster"!

Any of you regret getting the Soul?

if YES do say why...........
Yes I do regret buying a Kia Soul I keep having the same problem and and I just fixed the problem and it came back up again 🙄

221 - 240 of 247 Posts