Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a post by some one who changed their mind when it came to buying a SOUL because of what he/she read here on the forum I was thinking if any of you who now own a Kia SOUL regret buying this car for no matter what reason?

I am in NO way related to KIA and am just a regular guy who thought the car was cute, handy,damn good priced, took a test drive bought the Soul and now very happy with my "Hamster"!

Any of you regret getting the Soul?

if YES do say why...........

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was looking for an inexpensive econobox. The Soul did not meet my expectations, rather it has exceeded them in every measure. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No

My 1st new car, I knew I was going to get an ecomomy car of some sort. Had been waiting for some time & figured I would be getting something that got 30+ mpg. So when I saw the Soul ( in a photo ) & immediatly liked the looks & when I checked the est mpg & saw 30, only things left was if I fit in it & price. Well I fit great, Milage is good, not great, price was fair.
S O L D on S O U L

No Regrets at all . . . . . . . ( oh yea, I wish I had got a SunRoof )

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes. It's not that I don't want to like the car. It's cute. I must confess that having known what i know now i wouldn't do it again. Too many low quality issues already blaring through for my taste.

This doesn't mean I hate the car...I certainly don't hate it. I just know it could be much better and coming from other cars in it's price range i'm used to a little more quality than maybe some on this board have previously had. Kudos to anyone that is thrilled...I hope your car lasts to a zillion miles and you're smiling as you get there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So far no regreats, I just installed a hitch for the soul, wiring kit was super duper easy plug n play just one drill screw hole for the ground and in we go. Stuff is just so easy on the car to do / modify. I just got the rear muffler taken out and a pipe put on sounds good cheap too :) little more mid level hp and torque..See how she hauls in the summer. I got a 12ft fishing boat and quad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No regrets here either. I knew going in from owning a 2004 Optima, that there are usually several quality issues in Kia's that you would probably avoid in a Honda, Toyota, etc. That said, my Optima, despite interior quality issues, ran absolutely perfectly for the car's entire life.

My wife and I both own Kias, and they have honored their self professed "best" warranty several times over for problems that arose even from just wear and tear (my power locks went out from so much use during travel fro work, etc). That is always reassuring to know.

Finally, my Optima "died" when someone decided to ram their giant Chevy Avalanche into my back end at roughly 35-40 mph. That is a BIG truck. The car was totaled out, but the damage never even reached the back seat. All the safety features did their duty, and although no one was with me, if teh car was full we would have all walked away without even a trip to the ER.

I'll happily deal with some minor interior quality issues, or even a major one that Kia will fix under their warranty, if it means driving a car I love to drive and know will keep me alive in worst case scenarios.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've owned several luxury makes over the years (primarily BMW), and I have no issues with the SOUL whatsoever. The fact that it cost under 20 grand sort of blows my mind. I love looking at it, and it's fun to drive. Come to think of it, maybe my experience with German designed cars ties in with liking the SOUL so much. BMW has tended toward solid driving experience, sexy exterior, and understated/functional interior - which pretty much sums up my SOUL experience.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Honestly I don't regret it. I like my Soul a whole lot right now. I am afraid with some of the issues I see that in a few years I will regret having bought it over leasing it. One does get a whole lot for the money with the Soul but long term durability will absolutely win the day. So far I have had more issues with this 5000mi KIA then I had with my 45,000 honda that it replaced. Its just a bit scary, sure $17.5k is cheap for a car these days but that is still a whole lot of money to me and a long time to pay for it if I am going to continue to get headaches.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Absolutely no regrets as well. I'm also a former Kia owner going into the Soul. My prior Kia was very good to me (surprisingly, no interior problems). With the Soul being in it's first manufacturing run (in the U.S.), I'm sure we'll run into a minor issue here and there. Kia is good and will eventually take care of things. After seeing the first Soul commercials, the hamsters got my attention and then I saw a sexy car that I've never seen before. To this day, I rarely see another one on the road which is OK with me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope. Still a very happy owner.

Lot's of interior room for passengers in a fun to drive cheap little car - what is there not to love?

I will admit I usually keep my cars until they die (good thing the kids like the Soul) so the interior scuffs do not bother me that much (not that it will keep me from complaining to KIA to get it fixed...)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
No ..... I stated when I joined this forum almost 6 months ago , It was the Soul or nothing .... there was nothing else on the market I was interested in ....I was'nt really car shopping when I bought this , I saw it .... and wanted it , this was my first new car .
The fact it is economical is just a plus for me , because that was'nt the primary reason I bought it .​

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hello From South Florida

well after reading some of the post here i am a little miffed to say the least ~~Did you not test drive your soul , did you not look it over ?? for the price the quality , the size , the room ,the gas mileage , the power and comfort of my 2010 Soul Java Exclaim with i might add 9,100 miles as of today still going strong with no problems what so ever and trading in my 2007 Chevy Silverado Z-71 Crew Cab fully loaded and the Cadillac of trucks ~~ i only looked back once and it was when i drove of the lot in my KIA Soul after that i never looked back and am completely satisfied and do love my soul like the day i bought her :D ~~~ one more thing prior to the soul coming on the market i never thought about buying a KIA before nor did i ever drive one ~~ now i am sure there may be some problems and that does happen but remember one more thing it has a 100,000 mile warranty and that in itself says alot about KIA standing behind our Souls ~~ Don't you think ~~~;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
well after reading some of the post here i am a little miffed to say the least ~~Did you not test drive your soul , did you not look it over ?? for the price the quality , the size , the room ,the gas mileage , the power and comfort of my 2010 Soul Java Exclaim with i might add 9,100 miles as of today still going strong with no problems what so ever and trading in my 2007 Chevy Silverado Z-71 Crew Cab fully loaded and the Cadillac of trucks ~~ i only looked back once and it was when i drove of the lot in my KIA Soul after that i never looked back and am completely satisfied and do love my soul like the day i bought her :D ~~~ one more thing prior to the soul coming on the market i never thought about buying a KIA before nor did i ever drive one ~~ now i am sure there may be some problems and that does happen but remember one more thing it has a 100,000 mile warranty and that in itself says alot about KIA standing behind our Souls ~~ Don't you think ~~~;)
A test drive isn't going to give you more than an vague impression on liking or disliking a car. I bought the Soul based on the look, the adverts, and the 100k warranty. I can even remember during my test drive that I liked the small SUV feel but wasn't impressed by the response when cornering. Wasn't a deal breaker as I don't typically take corners at great speed. What i've learned from the past 7 months is it's a semi-lower car in a shiny wrapper. Fanboy it up all you want but it is what it is. I'm sure there are much worse cars out there. But it's got a ways to go (in my mind) before it catches up to the quality of many similarly priced cars.

Would I buy it again....very doubtful. Simply because i know it's not going to age well. Does that mean I hate it? As i've said over and over...no. I just don't have the confidence in it I feel like I would have had with a little more attention to assembly detail by Kia. In my mind, so long as the paint doesn't flake any more than it has and I can keep it looking fairly decent i'll keep it for 3 years and then move on to something better.

...note: The above plan is based on a hopeful economic turnaround. At the current rate it may soon become my home. ;)

I do agree with you on the fact that I would have never considered Kia before the Soul. I also think the Forte Koup is smokin hot. But I won't gloss over the fact that Kia still has a ways to go before it catches up with many other affordable cars in regards to quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A test drive isn't going to give you more than an vague impression on liking or disliking a car. I bought the Soul based on the look, the adverts, and the 100k warranty. I can even remember during my test drive that I liked the small SUV feel but wasn't impressed by the response when cornering. Wasn't a deal breaker as I don't typically take corners at great speed. What i've learned from the past 7 months is it's a semi-lower car in a shiny wrapper. Fanboy it up all you want but it is what it is. I'm sure there are much worse cars out there. But it's got a ways to go (in my mind) before it catches up to the quality of many similarly priced cars.

Would I buy it again....very doubtful. Simply because i know it's not going to age well. Does that mean I hate it? As i've said over and over...no. I just don't have the confidence in it I feel like I would have had with a little more attention to assembly detail by Kia. In my mind, so long as the paint doesn't flake any more than it has and I can keep it looking fairly decent i'll keep it for 3 years and then move on to something better.

...note: The above plan is based on a hopeful economic turnaround. At the current rate it may soon become my home. ;)

I do agree with you on the fact that I would have never considered Kia before the Soul. I also think the Forte Koup is smokin hot. But I won't gloss over the fact that Kia still has a ways to go before it catches up with many other affordable cars in regards to quality.
Concerning the paint, the other car that competed with the Soul for my dollars was the Honda Fit. A co-worker of mine has a first gen (for the US) Fit and he complains about the poor quality of the paint and how easily it chips. Go to Fitfreak.net and you will find others who complain about the cheap paint too.

I researched cars for four years before I bought the Soul. For the majority of that time I was interested in the Fit, but after reading Consumer Reports good review of the Soul, as well as most of the industry pundits proclaiming that Toyota and Honda should be very concerned about Hyundai and Kia, I started to lean toward the Soul. I simply couldn't get past what I was getting for my buck for the Soul. The fact that the Honda salespeople think they're doing you a favor by selling you a car was a factor also.

I'm not concerned about the paint issue because a month after I bought the Soul I had a Ventureshield clear mask applied to the hood, bumper, rear view mirrors, visor (metal strip above the windshield), and door edges.

I'm not having any interior issues because as a rule with anything I own, I take great care in preserving it.

I just put Ray's Kubira 18" wheels with a gunmetal finish wrapped with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 225/45/18's on it, and am very impressed with how they look on my Clear White Soul +.

I've owned two Honda's, and one Toyota which we still have, and to answer your question, do I regret buying the Soul? No.
Would I do it again? Yes, but not until the build the Soul'ster.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts