Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Mine is very close with new tires. Always +/- 1 MPG. I trust it over my own calculations because of differences in when a pump turns off. A full tank does not always contain the same amount of fuel.

As the tires wear, it gradually starts reporting slightly higher. That's to be expected.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,580 Posts
If you follow his posts.....apparently he drives it like its a Camaro......lol
That's the way to roll.

My computer is typically one to two MPG optimistic. ONCE it was one MPG low.

Different pumps will cut off at different points. Over the long haul, the average will average out though.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You betcha!
Just for the record, I'd rather have my little Jem than any Camaro. Detroit iron sucks!

Back on topic:
The MPG readout changes every so many miles, so it only shows you the MPG for the last ??? miles, not for your entire trip. So when I read mine, while out on the highway, it doesn't reflect the 5 mpg I was getting while driving out of my neighborhood on badly pitted sand roads, at a max of 9mph.

It's apparent that some folks just don't understand "Averaging". That's what your car's computer is showing you, the average for the past ??? miles. So I look at the average mpg between fill ups and kinda ignore what the car's computer says. It might look great, but it really means nothing. It doesn't reflect what it's going to cost me to fill up my tank.
My Excel spreadsheet does, because it breaks down the numbers, to even show me Cost Per Mile for my last tank.
I also record the name of the station where I filled up, so I can get an idea of what brand of gas, over time, is giving me the best MPG.

Happy Motoring, Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's the way to roll.
My computer is typically one to two MPG optimistic. ONCE it was one MPG low.
Different pumps will cut off at different points. Over the long haul, the average will average out though.
Does that mean that you halt the fill, when the pump clicks off? Yikes! That could leave you a gallon + less than full.
I won't say you're wrong, but that's not the way I fill up a car's gas tank. I guess the word "FILL" means different thing to different people. I halt the fill just before it p's on my shoes. :ROFLMAO:

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does that mean that you halt the fill, when the pump clicks off? Yikes! That could leave you a gallon + less than full.
I won't say you're wrong, but that's not the way I fill up a car's gas tank. I guess the word "FILL" means different thing to different people. I halt the fill just before it p's on my shoes. :ROFLMAO:

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:
Because gasoline needs room to expand, your tank needs extra room for that expansion. If you try to top off, the extra gas you're trying to add may actually evaporate into your vehicle's vapor collection system. This can ruin the mechanism, making it work improperly, and cause your car to run less efficiently.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Today the bike was saying about 48 mpg average on a 125 mile ride.
Calculated via gas price and mileage was 47.
Close enough for government work.

Now, the "instant" mpg is useless, all over the map.
Yes, I know. Open throttle, reduce mileage. :p

·
Registered
106 Posts
Because gasoline needs room to expand, your tank needs extra room for that expansion. If you try to top off, the extra gas you're trying to add may actually evaporate into your vehicle's vapor collection system. This can ruin the mechanism, making it work improperly, and cause your car to run less efficiently.
Spot on, about 25 years ago I had to replace the evaporato charcoal canister in a mini van I owned because of gasoline in the canister due to filling past the shutoff click. I forget how much it cost but was not a cheap job.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, before gas caps were as tight as they are now and before evaporative emissions control, I'd see a parked car with gas pouring out of the filler (or the overflow tube if the car had one). That would happen when the owner topped off the tank and parked the car in the sun. The gas would expand and overflow.

That got me out of the "topping off" habit before I could even [legally] drive.

To get an idea of how much gasoline expands, all you have to do is fill a plastic gas can, and then store it in a shed in the sun. The cans expand like balloons.

Richard

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don't know, where some of Y'all get your info, but in over 60 years I've never had a gas tank that overflowed while parked in the sun. I've also never had to replace a vapor canister.
I guess we just live in different worlds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been keeping track of my 2020 EX mileage almost since I bought it over a year ago, and comparing it to the dash MPG. It has always been optimistic and never closer than 1.9 mpg to real mileage per tank. The past 10 fuel ups the dash read out has averaged just over 3 MPG better than actual mileage. During an oil change three fuel ups ago the dealer made some adjustment that was supposed to correct this, but I haven't seen any difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seems like I'm getting to good of gas milage, I haven't done the math to check but my milage seems to good to be true.

Has anyone verified the accuracy?
This is with the cruise on most of the time 65-75 miles per hour.

We are in the 6000 to 8000 feet elevation.

View attachment 134260
I share your suspicions of an overly optimistic trip fuel economy report out. The fuel tank isn't too small. The readout reports extremely good (above EPA) highway mileage, yet the range per tank seems pretty abysmal and well below what the fuel tank capacity plus reported trip fuel economy suggest it should be. I will confirm at the pump next fill up. But yeah, I am skeptical of the trip computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I brought my 2020 LX home one of the first things I did was top off the fuel and do a manual fuel mileage calculation "old school". With a calculator and recording my beginning/ending mileage. I previously had a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and the factory fuel mileage gauge was quite inaccurate - reading several mpgs optimistic. I was pleased to see that the KIA mpg gauge conformed to my calculation. I too am getting well over EPA estimated mpg around town. I like the IVT because it allows the car to coast freely and I "pulse and glide" my way around. I believe I will recheck the mpgs on my next tank of gas.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I do. I guess I could squeeze more in, but the tank is big enough, and this method gives hopefully consistent results, and no overfill. I am not gonna go to the same exact pump or even gas station every time in the interest of consistency.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like I'm getting to good of gas milage, I haven't done the math to check but my milage seems to good to be true.

Has anyone verified the accuracy?
This is with the cruise on most of the time 65-75 miles per hour.

We are in the 6000 to 8000 feet elevation.

View attachment 134260
We have a 2015 and the GPM on the computer is rubbish, but we also have a Ford Fusion that's the same way. I use an app called Fuelio to track the Fusion and it's usually 1 to 2 GPM better than the computer. Our Soul is usually about the same when I check it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2020 Soul EX+ on a trip (no cruise) at 90km/hr I get and have since new 5.2L / 100 km (1.37USg / 62 miles) 45mpg according to to onboard computer. The EX is so good on gas, I can't be bothered doing pump tp pump calculations. I realize in the real world for efficiency calculations, pump to pump is the most accurate. I like to use the onboard comp. especially on trips, I find it a better method for readily noticing performance issues. EX+ 17" alloys - OEM tires, Nexen NPriz AH8 tires, aired at 33 psig.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts