Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I'm getting to good of gas milage, I haven't done the math to check but my milage seems to good to be true.

Has anyone verified the accuracy?
This is with the cruise on most of the time 65-75 miles per hour.

We are in the 6000 to 8000 feet elevation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
These days in a world full of bad news, I'll take any good news as gospel!!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts
This has been talked about in great length in other threads. For many folks it's a couple mpgs exuberant (who are you going to believe, me or those lyin' eyes?). Some folks it's pretty close.

The best think to do is some real world, old school, at the pump calculations to determine the accuracy of your computer.

Reactions: AtlantaSoulMan

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can say every engine has a sweet spot. I get better mpg at 52 than 48 on the same road in the same direction in the same gear.
For you, are those all highway miles? At my previous work location when I filled up next door and then drove home on the highway I was consistently above 38.5mpg at 58mph on cruise. The lights were timed in that direction and I could make all 15 lights over 22 miles without stopping.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That MPG meter is what I'd call, "The Feel Good Meter". That meter on my car does make me feel good, but when I run the miles and gallons through my Excel Spreadsheet, the numbers are not that good.
Still, it's better than it was with my 2013 Soul. I'll keep her!

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
292 Posts
I believe. I do believe.

I believe the fuel efficiency estimates derived from recorded distance between fuel ups and paid fuel volumes.

Everything else is a rougher estimate. Close enough perhaps in many, if not most cases. If nothing else, a good excuse to take the eyes off the road.

When it comes to fuel efficiency, a train, a bus, walking and bicycling all beat private automobile traffic. The merits of walking and bicycling are definitely something to think about during a COVID-19 pandemic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dash reads 36.7, doing the math I get 35.4 so it reads about 1.5 mpg optimistic. Still, amazing mpg.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
17 Posts
I've had 3 cars with mileage computers, each displays 'optimistically'. The best of the three was within about 1.5 mpg accuracy, the next best about 2mpg, and then there's 2020 LX IVT, that displays about 2.5 mpg high. I have a pretty solid theory about why the variance, and the variability from driver-to-driver, in this variance.

What I imagine is that it has no way to include in the calculation the has used when starting the engine. I do a lot of short trips, and I also use the auto engine kill, resulting in even more engine stops and starts. I've found that when I travel a long distance, using most of the tank with few stops, it is most accurate, but in my normal driving pattern, far off.

The gas mileage is a function of how "light" your foot is on the pedal, how constant, and your RPMs. I've seen up to 48mpg in ideal conditions. One thing to note about using cruise control at highway speeds: it will keep you in 7th gear (rather 8th/high) so that acceleration is more responsive. If you're on level terrain you can manually shift up to 8th and see your live reading of MPG go up accordingly!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Computers don't lie, unless they are programed to lie.
But there is the garbage in garbage out thing to consider.
Trust no one, especially people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in NH and avg about 33-35 with about 1200 on the car. So I think your close..

Seems like I'm getting to good of gas milage, I haven't done the math to check but my milage seems to good to be true.

View attachment 134260

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
521 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 134260
I have found in almost 28,000 miles of varied driving, mine is dead on, since I have maintained records on the car since new. It is a 2016 Soul +.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm very pleased when I check my car's computer readout, but then I run the numbers through my Excel spreadsheet, every time I do a Fill-Up, and then 'Not So Much'. It's always below 30 mpg. I suppose I'd be happier if I'd just look at the car's computer. Eh?

:cool:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Computers don't lie, unless they are programed to lie.
But there is the garbage in garbage out thing to consider.
Trust no one, especially people.
True, but there is a lot going here. For example, are the injectors perfectly accurate? During acceleration, deceleration, those injectors are constantly changing in discreet and minute intervals. Not saying they don't make them optimistic, but it seems to me that they will never be spot on.

Of course manually calculation isn't perfect either. Accuracy of the pump will vary based on many things.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm very pleased when I check my car's computer readout, but then I run the numbers through my Excel spreadsheet, every time I do a Fill-Up, and then 'Not So Much'. It's always below 30 mpg. I suppose I'd be happier if I'd just look at the car's computer. Eh?

:cool:
You never get over 30mpg?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts