Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it's a little cheesy, but I always thought the refrigerated glove box feature was neat. I love me some cold soda on my trips. But, I got an absolutely bog standard Base Model, so no luck on that option.

I decided to do it myself! I added a mini-fridge over the hump, behind the center console. It's completely USB powered, and the cable tucks nicely under the bottom lip of the plastic surround on the center console. This is a 2014, so I don't know if this works on all years. I brought the cable up by the driver's right leg, and used a small transparent plastic cable clip with 3M mounting tape to keep it tucked close to the console.

The fridge holds one 12 oz, can of your favorite beverage. But in case I have the Missus along, I buy the mini half cans they sell in the supermarket, so I can have 2 different cans in the fridge. They stack nicely that way.

A half can gets nicely cold in about 10-15 minutes, depending, or it will keep an all ready cold can cold for the duration of your trip.

I got the fridge from Think Geek. I think it's available on other sites as well for <$25. It has a switch that also converts it to a heating unit for hot drinks. the only downside is, the switch is big and it's position on the USB cable means it is well under the driver's seat. Accessing it quickly or while driving is not an option, unless maybe you got a USB extension so you could tuck the switch away behind the seat.

I know it's not really super practical, but I like goofy things, and I like cold sodas. Also, a six pack of the half sodas fits quite nicely in one of the cut-out compartments under the rear cargo cover on the '14. (Do not leave them in Car if it gets below about 30f , or you'll end up cleaning slushie soda out of your trunk. Fridge_Closed.jpg Fridge_Open.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
in your photos it looks like you have a center console in your base model 2014. I have been looking for one for our base model, stick shift. where did you find it? Thanks

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
in your photos it looks like you have a center console in your base model 2014. I have been looking for one for our base model, stick shift. where did you find it? Thanks
its standard with the Base automatic, all part of the auto package along with other items that the MT does not get, hence the reason for the $2000 difference in list price.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
In the past, these were offered by Kia from the dealerships. Have you checked with them to see if they are in the system yet?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This is genius! The coolbox only works if you have the air conditioning on so that is a no go for me right now. This is a very cool option. I wonder I could put it inside the armrest storage!

ThinkGeek :: USB Thermoelectric Cooler & Warmer
$14.99!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
More questions:

Chill a can down to 46 degrees - Is this cold enough?
Do you leave it plugged in all the time?

Thanks, John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts