Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got bored again and desided I liked the euro turnsignal look but didn't like the price to buy them so I made my own. The LED strips were $20 for the pair at Autozone and it only took about 20 min each to modify the stock fender inserts. I like how it turned out and figured it was easy enough for almost anyone to do it so here is how I did it.

Here is the brand of lights I used.

After removing the fender inserts just drill 3 3/16 next to each other at the rear of the center rib of the insert. Cut the remaining plastic between the holes with an exacto knife. You should end up with an oval hole.

Trim about 4" off of the end of the LED strip at an angle to match the angle of the insert and stick it down. The strip comes with double sided tape already installed.

Bench test looks good.

Just snap the insert back on the car and wire to the turnsignal wires at the headlight plug. Use the small black wire coming out of the plug for the ground and the center wire on the bottom side of the plug for the the power to the LEDs. The wires that come on the LEDs are the perfect length to go to the headlight plugs.

And thats it, it took about an hour to do the whole thing and was really easy.
Here is a video of them in action at night. In the day they are pretty bright as well. Any questions just ask.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayjg3eEMkY4

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Even better yet Joan, cut the screened areas out and put an ambient light source behind them that is on when the car is on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was looking at some of these the other day and wondering how hard it would be...thanks for the tutorial.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Do you still have the part # of the LED strips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't seem to find a part number. Of course I threw away the packaging but next time I venture into Autozone I will look.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Even better yet Joan, cut the screened areas out and put an ambient light source behind them that is on when the car is on.
sounds good - now we need one of our resident techno-geeks to show us how to make that ambient light change color and intensity in tune with the door speakers -

but then, in a few weeks, there will be reports of fender fires -

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
sounds good - now we need one of our resident techno-geeks to show us how to make that ambient light change color and intensity in tune with the door speakers -

but then, in a few weeks, there will be reports of fender fires -
i prefer seeing painted flames on the wing sides, not the real thing.......

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks for the mod. I had a semilar idea but just couldn't figure it out yet and it is taking to long to get the ones from Korea. They seem to be out all the time?? Does the light come on with the markers or just with the turn signals?. Again thanks for the mod. Can you provide exactly which wires to tap into. Thanks

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Got the strips in place, all wired up and is working great. This was an inexpensive mod that works great. Thanks independant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you read my mind I seen those at autozone and I'm going to do the same thing but I'm going to leave the black peice on the car so I dont break it and it looks like I can just fish the wires through the fender from under the hood

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
you read my mind I seen those at autozone and I'm going to do the same thing but I'm going to leave the black peice on the car so I dont break it and it looks like I can just fish the wires through the fender from under the hood
:DThat is what I did. Be careful as the fender is sharp and will cut you. Take your time and if you need help just pm me and I will walk this through with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i did mine this morning and it looks great i was wondering about tinting them someway and spray tint might just be the answer. I didnt buy the 8" ones i bought the 4" ones so I wouldnt have to cut the led. This was a great idea and looks great cant wait to see them at night

1 - 20 of 22 Posts