Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Kia Soul + 2.0 L needs new steering (MDPE) coupler. I have bought the coupler from dealer and tried to replace it myself. I have watched some videos of Sonata and Forte replacements.. but could not find any for Kia Soul. I have removed 2 nuts under the steering but could not drop the steering fully. It drops little but not coming down fully. As per the TSB there is 3rd bolt in the back(?) that needs to be removed.

Not able to find the 3rd back nut they are talking here!!

Has anyone successfully changed this? Please point me to some videos / help link please!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This forum is not allowing me add link. Google "kia soul steering coupler tsb" you will get it in the first few hits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Untitled.jpg I was able to find the back bolt using the website in the picture.
Removing the back bolt was not too hard... but putting it back was! After lowering steering wheel, removing and putting new coupler was not hard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having the same problem of the steering column not dropping. I found this thread and I removed the bolt in the back and slid off the bar leading out to the rack and pinion. But the column still won't drop down far enough to get to the coupler. I've looked all around the column and I can't find anything that could be holding it up. I've gotten the steering wheel to go down as far as the seat and that was by forcing it down. Is there anything I've overlooked? I was thinking that this was going to be a quick fix. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TR
My 2012 Kia Soul + 2.0 L needs new steering (MDPE) coupler. I have bought the coupler from dealer and tried to replace it myself. I have watched some videos of Sonata and Forte replacements.. but could not find any for Kia Soul. I have removed 2 nuts under the steering but could not drop the steering fully. It drops little but not coming down fully. As per the TSB there is 3rd bolt in the back(?) that needs to be removed.

Not able to find the 3rd back nut they are talking here!!

Has anyone successfully changed this? Please point me to some videos / help link please!
Trying to do this job now. You tube vids on other kia models gave me a false sense of confidence. If you still cant get to the coupler after the horizontal bolt is out you might be stretching wires to the breaking point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I jist
TR

Trying to do this job now. You tube vids on other kia models gave me a false sense of confidence. If you still cant get to the coupler after the horizontal bolt is out you might be stretching wires to the breaking point.
I just replaced my coupler and it was a job but once I got it all apart it wasnt bad putting it back. Stay organized. Takes pics. I can answer any questions about how I did it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I did this job! Successfully, even! A few thoughts...

1. The diagram in the third post in this thread is the right diagram, but the arrow is pointing to the wrong bolt. That isn't the magical third bolt, the one above it is.

2. You won't actually see that third bolt until you get it out. If you lie on your back with your head towards the accelerator and your feet out the door, there will be a somewhat flat gray square metal box which is the steering control module. If you look above it, you'll see a bolt, but that's not it. The one you want is further up and slightly more to the right. Like I said, you won't see it, you'll have to feel for it. It's a 14mm head, and you'll probably want to slap the 3-inch extension on your socket wrench. Once you get it to break over, it's pretty straightforward -- it's a long bolt but not hard to get out.

3. Once you get the whole column to come down, changing the coupler is also pretty straightforward. Undo the black Torx screws, not the silver/chrome ones.

4. You may have seen in the YouTube videos where they open it up and there's a lot of chewed up bits of rubber. That's true, but what they don't mention in those videos is that if your steering wheel has been making that noise for a while, you might not find chunks of rubber as you might find a black, slightly gummy mess, as if someone shredded a black gummy bear in there and allowed it to melt. You don't have to get it perfectly clean, but you probably want to use something like a toothpick to make sure you at least get the worst of it around the edges of the wheels.

5. When putting everything back together, you'll have to put the back bolt in first. The steering column is difficult to maneuver, and having a helper doesn't always work. Consider using a couple bottle jacks. I had one at the back, sitting on top of a couple books, while the one at the front closer to the steering wheel was on top of a toolbox. Slow and steady does it, and you may have to adjust as you go. If you can get the front ones to line up, that's your clue that you are on the right track.

6. I tried a couple times to get pictures, but it was close quarters in there and I couldn't aim. If you can get pictures, you're a far better photographer than I am.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
822 Posts
How in the heck do you get the back bolt to line back up?
FYI, the posting you're replying to is almost 2 years old so you might not get a reply from that user. I don't personally have first-hand knowledge about this part's replacement, but maybe this detailed video may have the answer to your question:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know this is an old post, but anyone still having problems, Kia extended the warranty for this issue. 10year unlimited miles. They should have just done a recall

·
Registered
7 Posts
i know this is an old post, but anyone still having problems, Kia extended the warranty for this issue. 10year unlimited miles. They should have just done a recall
You are correct. I just called Kia Dealership and they said my 2012 Kia Soul’s steering coupler is covered under the recall. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are correct. I just called Kia Dealership and they said my 2012 Kia Soul’s steering coupler is covered under the recall. Thank you!
I made an appointment, dropped off the care, and picked it up about 2-3 hours later. All fixed. No more clunking chatter coming from the steering column. Best of all it was free! Thank you Members for providing us with the guidance and info regarding this recall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts