1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Estimated Cost: $20.00 (US Currency)
Estimated Time: 1 Hour

Items Needed
  • 11 oz. Plasti Dip Rubber Coating Spray (of your color)
  • Grease/Wax/Debris Chemical Remover
  • Painters Tape
  • Masking Paper/Newspaper
  • Microfiber Cloth
  • Toothpick/Straight Edge Razor

Step 1: Preparation
Before you touch anything or do anything, thoroughly clean the area you are going to be working on. Use a decent quality grease/wax/debris remover to ensure that there is nothing left on that specific area. Think of all the times you've washed your car, waxed your car, etc. All of that work needs to come off so that you can start this process. Make sure that afterwards the area is thoroughly and completely dried, to include the tiny and almost impossibly small crevices and divots that might exist. Remember: clean and dry.

Step 2: Taping
Now you will need to tape off your work space. Leave about 1-2" around the edges of your emblem to ensure that you have wiggle room to work with later. Trust me, there's no need to work right-up on the edges of the emblem itself, that's the beauty of Plasti Dip. I suggest painters tape as it won't damage your vehicle's paint when removing it. Plus, painters tape is fairly cheap and can be found in most stores. Use the masking paper/newspaper to ensure that overspray can be caught to avoid unnecessary cleaning further down the road. I suggest being liberal with your papers as even the slightest wind will make sure that stray Plasti Dip finds its way onto your vehicle.

Step 3: Spraying
Read you Plasti Dip spray can. Ensure you understand the risks involved with using the product and make sure you are in a well ventilated area. If you have sensitive lungs or breathing issues, invest in a respirator or mask. Shake the can vigorously for a good minute or so to loosen everything up. What you want to use are steady, even strokes approximately 4-6" away from the emblem itself. Do not move in and out or change your angle suddenly. What we're aiming for is even distribution of the dip onto the emblem. On your first pass you want about 50-60% coverage. Don't worry, you will be applying more coats later.

Wait about 10-15 minutes after applying your first coat. It doesn't take long to dry but what you want to do is make sure that its beginning to firm up and you will notice it will almost shrink around the emblem slightly. Once you wait your allotted time, apply your second coat. Go at it from a downward angle to guarantee you catch the curves and spaces within your emblem. The same as before, use steady even strokes without moving in and out.

Wait another 10-15 minutes and apply a third coat. Again, choose a different angle to apply the dip. In total you want approximately 4-6 coats of dip. This will create a strong, even layer that will last through various weather conditions and hold up to everyday wear-and-tear. Plus, the more layers used the easier it is to peel when needed. A common mistake is applying the dip too lightly, which results in short, flecky pieces.

Step Four: Peeling
After you apply your final coat, wait about 20-30 minutes. You want the dip to be dry and bonded with your emblem so that removal of the outer edges will be as quick and painless as possible. Touch your emblem and get a feel for where you dip is at. You don't want it to be tacky or pull with your touch. Start by removing the papers and tape from your work area. As you pull on the tape framing your emblem, you will notice the Plasti Dip peel up and come off your vehicle easy enough.

You will be left with a rectangle of dip (more or less) around your emblem. From here you can begin the careful process of removing the dip. Using your fingers pull away from the emblem, taking the dip away from the edges as it tears. To get smoother, clean edges you can use a straight razor or a toothpick to outline around your emblem beforehand. That way when you begin pulling away the excess dip, you won't have to worry about tearing off a part covering your emblem in the process. Once you completely remove the extra dip from around your emblem, if you have any small frays/hanging pieces, you can use the straight razor/toothpick to push the excess back down behind the emblem if it can't be completely removed.

Now you're left with the inside of your lettering. Use a toothpick to lightly pick/scratch at the dip until it begins to pull up and away from the emblem and the vehicle. Again, use the straight razor to make clean edges in advance. Using the toothpick, work your way away from the emblem and eventually you will be able to grab on with your fingers and pull the extra dip off of the vehicle. It took me about a good 10 minutes to be able to work the dip off of the center of the "O" in the Soul lettering, alone.

Step Five: Finished Product
If you have any over spray on your vehicle, use a microfiber cloth to wipe away the dip on your car. It should come off with little-to-no effort. Once you have your dip where/as you like it, remember to hold off on washing your car for about a week. You want to give the dip time to completely bond to your emblem without any chemicals or pressure washers getting in the way of the process. Once it is bonded, it is able to survive any amount of washes and can survive power washes up to a certain psi. The Plasti Dip is rated to approximately 200F as well, in case you are worried about extreme temperatures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was my first DIY, so if there's any major mistakes or issues please let me know! I had a fun time playing with Plasti Dip, and this was my first project with it. Looking forward to perhaps doing the lower lids of my headlights and the door bumper/guards as well to keep going with my black/red theme.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts