Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what mileage you folks are getting before needing to fill up tank. Just got my worst tank going into 50mile hour wind 320 then filling. I put gas hose in filler and first click shut off. Over filling is bad on today's modern charcoal canister vehicles FYI.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
I don't really know how dead-on accurate that indicator light happens to be. I usually don't run the fuel down so low that the light comes on but for the few times it has happened the odo showed between 370 and 400 (u.s. miles) - over 16,000 miles my worst tank has been 31 mpg and the best 41 mpg with the average probably about 36 plus - this is with a 5 speed 1.6 liter and i calculate fuel economy with every fill-up.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
it would help if there was a distinction between engine size here.... no point comparing the range of a 2 litre petrol and a 1.6 litre petrol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just put 311.1 miles on my 2.0l auto Soul. Took 11.001 gallons to fill, which worked out to a little over 28mpg. That was mostly highway miles. The fuel light came on right around 300 I believe.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Curious what mileage you folks are getting before needing to fill up tank. Just got my worst tank going into 50mile hour wind 320 then filling. I put gas hose in filler and first click shut off. Over filling is bad on today's modern charcoal canister vehicles FYI.
Does someone here could explain how it can be bad for the canister...??

Robert

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually get 360ish when the light comes on. I have the 1.6 petrol.

The gas mileage is great. The worst was the month I spent driving around Manhattan & Queens when I was there visiting family.

I'm more than satisfied with the gas mileage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you have 12.68 US Gallon Tank and the reserve is 2 Gallons then the light should come on @ 10.68 Gallons used. If you go 320 miles when the light comes on that is 30 MPG. Every 10 miles after that is one additional MPG.

360 miles when the light turns on is 34 MPG +/-

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carcoal canister is

Well in BMW manuals they go over everything, over filling tank will lead to charcoal canister plugging up with gas. It's job is to take evap gas and to trap it instead of releasing into air. Check engine lights. Ive always made it a habit not to over fill. I do not know enough about KIA's but im sure they have some system as EPA just get's tougher.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mines a 1.6 Diesel ( manual ) when its full its says its got about 338 miles before filling .I normally get at least 430 miles before the light comes on . When the light came on yesterday it said I had about 80 miles left in the tank . In my previous vehicles when the light came on you had just over 20 mile range before you run dry . I didn't want to risk seeing if i could get those extra 80 miles as im not sure just how accurate these figures are .

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Also a 1.6 diesel here. Best ever range till yellow light 585miles (overfilled!), Normally 480miles, worst 368miles.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Well in BMW manuals they go over everything, over filling tank will lead to charcoal canister plugging up with gas. It's job is to take evap gas and to trap it instead of releasing into air. Check engine lights. Ive always made it a habit not to over fill. I do not know enough about KIA's but im sure they have some system as EPA just get's tougher.
It does not go into detail but there is this warning in the Soul Owners Manual (also the same in my Rondo's Owners Manual too)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
yes we know not to overfill.... but on a sloping forecourt you dont know until you have done it....and it is a diesel so it dosent have the canister..... but its still not recommended.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It does not go into detail but there is this warning in the Soul Owners Manual (also the same in my Rondo's Owners Manual too)
Interesting... why can't we use fuel additives in the Soul?

It's mentioned just above the yellow box in the attached gif.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts