Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Disappointed in cargo space

31K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  BuzzardT 
#1 ·
I knew it was small but I was shocked how bad it truly was. I mean its supposed to be 19+ cubic feet (rear seats up). My Subaru Impreza has only 11 cubic feet and its really isn't that different. After our test drive of the Soul today I got out our largest suitcase we use (I brought just to test the cargo area) and tried to fit it. I couldn't get to to stand upright back there. And laying it down meant little room for any other cargo next to it. I figure at best I could fit 2 of those large suitcases and maybe 1 small bags next to it without blocking the view of the rearview mirror. 3 large suitcases + 2 small bags at best when blocking the reaview. Yes, it is still better than my Subaru but not by much. I have my doubts it can fit more than the trunk of our 96 Altima (14 cbuic feet).

Its a shame too... The Soul felt like it had a nice ride, great set of options, comfortable interior, great price, great warranty, great look... Everything was impressing me about the Soul until I tried the luggage test. The saddest thing is that we're sure that at least 95% of the driving of our next vehicle will not require much in terms of cargo space. But those few times a year when we do want to travel I don't think the Soul will work for us.

Anyone know of the viability of getting a roof rack and one of those roof mounted cargo thingys for the Soul in the US? Do they make an already top heavy car more dangerous? Does it kill mileage?

See less See more
#2 ·
For extra room without sacrificing mileage consider a trailer hitch that you can attach a platform to. I've seen them on larger SUV's and I'm sure they would work well on a soul. You could pack your extra suitcases without sacrificing mileage because your wind resistance would be about the same.

#3 · (Edited)
Hm, Wow I am really impressed with the cargo space, it is after all a 30+mpg vehicle, just today we hauled 300+ pounds of groceries and supplies from the warehouse store 90 miles away, and that's with me my wife up front and the kid in the car seat in the back... the soul handled it very easily. We did use some of the back seat area for out big load.. but nothing was above the windows in the trunk space. However we have a base model so we gain a bit of cargo space, we don't have that Styrofoam tray above the spare tire, so we get a 6" deeper cargo area.

There is no way I could have gotten all that stuff in a Rio or any other compact 30+mpg sedan styled car.. Maybe a Honda fit there pretty big inside... but the fit was uncomfortable as hell when we test drove it..

#4 ·
It sounds as if you haven't bought the SOUL yet, but I would encourage it.
You can add a roofrack or basket for those 5% (estimated) times you need more.

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/ is one source for racks and baskets, along with www.Perrycraft.com This cool little ride is no Expedition, to be sure.

You may have good luck getting good info from SlartyBartFast on this forum. He has added a roof mounted basket and has driven with it for a while now. I will be adding a rooftop basket, not only for appearance, but for the added usability for the wife's weekend shopping junkets...

Good luck,

#5 ·
As someone stated above the trailer hitch style, add on back is a great option , we have been considering it instead of taking a pickup on vacation to our off grid getaway this year, as we need to haul a gen set and gas cans ect. and dont really want to put them inside the Soul.. also a then you can haul a small trailer if needed.

#6 ·
Hmm I just packed two tents, a cooler, two air mattresses, 4 tiki torches, tiki torch oil, a portable water heater, 200' of hose, sheets, a comforter and pillows in mine.

could have gotten the queen sized slat bed in too if it hadn't laid right on top of the manual shifter...

Of course that was with one seat down so YMMV

#7 ·
tktruckster, unless I'm mistaken even Kia recommends against pulling a trailer. I'm probably going to shy away from that option.

Ebacherville, glad to hear you were impressed with the cargo space. It does give hope for any chance of us picking the Soul.

10 ball, thanks for the roof rack info. We haven't picked out any car just yet. We headed to a Scion dealership (xB was the top choice before finding the Soul) after being disappointed in the Soul's cargo space. They had nothing left to even look at. I'll have to get more info on the roof rack for the Soul. The fact that Kia doesn't have one readily available in the US is disappointing but given that the car is designed with the roof rack in mind it sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult to have it done. I just hope cost isn't significant.

#9 ·
like I said before. the soul isn't meant to tow a trailer. it's meant for a hitch bike rack or hitch luggage carrier only.

you're gonna burn up your transmission if you tow a trailer. My dad had a V6 toyota truck a long time ago. 2.8L I think. He used it to haul logs every weekend to our summer cabin which was around 140 miles away. Only took one year to fry his transmission. He got it rebuilt and never hauled anything heavy with it again.

#10 ·
No cargo room? I carried three adults, three coolers, three lawn chairs, three sets of costumes that had to lie flat and have nothing on top of them, plus instruments, blankets and odds and ends. That was with the small side seat laid flat! Then we took two adults, a tent, tent accrutroments (mattress, blankets, pillow, etc.) large cooler, lawn chairs and costumes, and still had room!

#12 ·
Class 1 - Reese Trailer Hitch $127.00
http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i-receiver-hitch-p-2014.html

1 1/4" Receiver Adaptor - to 2" Receiver $39.53 {if necessary}
http://www.thehitchstore.com/1-14-to-2-receiver-adapt-extends-6-14-p-1414.html

Swing Away Cargo Carrier - Enclosed/or not - this one is pricey - but very nice. I'm sure it would be possible to find something less expensive. Also, with other types of cargo carriers - you may not need a swing away type. Personally I'd spend whatever money is necessary to make it very useful.
http://www.etrailer.com/c-ecc.htm

Example:
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-demo_thule_terapin_cargo_carrier_TH684.aspx

The rear hatch seems to need between 12 and 16 inches to swing out as it swings up - - so depending on how tall the extra cargo box is - you may or may not need the swing away - it does however make loading the Soul itself a lot easier.

FWIW,
Carl B.

#14 ·
Eves, sounds to me that you've sold yourself on not getting a soul for luggage reasons. If that is the only reason then, maybe a mini van would work for you. that way if you get the type that has 3 rows of seats, you can remove the 3rd row and have luggage space as well as seating for four or five passengers. I hear Dodge is practically giving them away.
good luck, tell us what you end up doing.

#16 ·
I wouldn't say I've sold myself to not getting a Soul (not yet anyway). I've briefly talked to my wife about the roof rack option and she's happy there is an option. She just wants me to get more info (like total cost and how badly the mileage is affected by a cargo container on the roof). So I'll look that info up in the next few days and hope for the best. Realistically the luggage issue wont be too much of a problem for a couple years (only 1 kid so far and his stuff doesn't take up too much room). Plus someone mentioned not having the styro form thing and false floor in the cargo area. Removing that stuff and getting that extra 7" depth could help. I just wish I had thought to try fitting my luggage in there without the false floor while I was at the dealer yesterday.

For the record I do not like minivans. Too big for my taste. I want as small a vehicle as possible...as long as it fits our needs. Our family car so far has been a tiny Impreza. We're not looking for a huge increase in space.

And as for the Russians finding all those bodies in a Soul... Is anyone surprised? Those Europeans can do a lot with tiny spaces.

#17 ·
hey guys, I didn't say put a hitch on to tow, - though one guy on this forum has pictures of his soul towing his jet ski. The purpose of the hitch is to put a platform on the back of your soul. The platform can hold quite a bit of stuff and is easily removed when it's not needed because it is attached to the trailer hitch. I've seen them on quite a few SUVs.

#21 ·
WHAT???!!!! No cargo room? Are you kidding me? We took all our camping gear, had room for our two dogs, and still posted 30 mpg. Granted, it's only 2 of us and the 2 dogs are small, but what on earth do you want?!

As for towing - thousands upon thousands of people tow stuff with 4 cylinder engines every day and have no problems. I'm constantly amazed at the engineers lurking on this site professing what a 4 cylinder can and cannot do. The fact is, the Soul is rated to tow a lot in other countries. You can't tell me they are shipping some sub-standard product to The States. Sure, they may have changed some shocks or spring rates or something like that, but I'm pretty sure the basic body, structural elements, and drivetrain are as good as anywhere else in the world. It's rated to tow everywhere else, why not here?

#24 ·
The fact is, the Soul is rated to tow a lot in other countries.
Can you tell me specifically what other countries - and where to find a recommendation from Kia to use the Soul for towing?

Is it your assumption that because the Soul is "rated to tow" {for some reason} - the Manufacturer recommends that it be used for towing within that rating?

If you look in the US Owners Manual - you'll see that Kia provides per our Federal Laws - the total load capacity of the vehicle - including tongue weight. Even though Kia clearly repeats the SOUL is not recommended for Towing.

I don't believe that supplying a rated load capacity, or maximum trailer weight - - is the same thing as Kia saying that it's OK to use the Soul for towing. Especially if they void your warranty due to abuse when you burn your transmission up.

The fact that it "can" pull a trailer, or that load capacities are given doesn't mean that the Manufacturer endorses using it for that purpose.

FWIW,
Carl B.

#22 ·
2 adults and 2 dogs? Yep...plenty of room for luggage, camping gear...whatever. 2 adults + child seat (with child) and whatever junk my wife insists is necessary for the kid and there is probably an acceptable amount of space. However, add in a second child and their seat and whatnot and I fear the space is just not there. I am not saying there definitely isn't. It is just a concern that I'd prefer to put to rest before I buy a car I expect to have for 10+ years.

#23 ·
I had a Honda Element before the Soul and lost a ton of storage space. But I use my Soul mainly for work and weekend local road trips. If I have to go with the family I use my wifes Rav4 with the third row seating,plenty of space. I don't miss having everyone wanting me to carry stuff for then in my Element,it was like having a van.

#26 ·
The Kia UK site says it can tow 1300 kg (2800 lbs) if the trailer is braked. And that's with a 1.6 L. No, Kia isn't 'recommending' that you to with it and nobody is advocating that you buy a Soul to use as a daily work vehicle towing a trailer of equipment all over the place. However, using the Soul to tow your jet ski, a small boat, pop-up trailer, or utility trailer once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. People tow with 4 cylinder equiped vehicles all the time, with no problem. A lack of vehicle maintenance and/or driver attention are lot bigger concerns that the fact that it's a 4 cylinder engine doing the work. To blindly say you shouldn't tow anything, ever, with a Soul just because it's a 4 cylinder is doing Hamster Nation a disservice.

#27 ·
I must have missed it - but who said you couldn't or shouldn't ever tow anything with a four cylinder?

The UK got a 1.6L diesel - that would be far better suited to even light duty towing. Lots of low end torque and overheating the engine is not as likely.

Personally - I can't comprehend anyone with any experience towing anything - that would condone towing something that weights as much as the tow vehicle. Even with good trailer brakes that's a perscription for disaster. At most, the rule of thumb is 60/40 where the trailer represents 40% of the combined weight of tow vehicle and tralier. Even then you don't want more than 10-12% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Anything over that and your in real trouble when the tail starts wagging the dog.

I-Can-Get-You-A-Toe: You just want to be sure to have your bicycle rack on that trailer hitch - when you take the car to the Dealer;-)

FWIW,
Carl B.

#31 ·
Coming from a PT Cruiser, I can legitimately say the Soul has less cargo space. However, even with the front seats all the way back, the rear passengers still have plenty of leg room -- way more than the PT Cruiser.

However, with two well-fed adults and two 110-120 pound senior citizens, the Soul is pretty loaded down in the rear and tends to bounce a lot. I would not want to travel a long distance with the same load, especially with luggage.

On this note, a hitch-mounted cargo carrier, even without any rear passengers, will probably have the same effect load-wise. You'll have considerable weight behind the rear axle, in addition to cargo, and perhaps passengers. A small trailer (think car-top carrier with wheels) would probably be a better choice.

#38 ·
Coming from a PT Cruiser, I can legitimately say the Soul has less cargo space. However, even with the front seats all the way back, the rear passengers still have plenty of leg room -- way more than the PT Cruiser.
We also have a PT and end up taking it when we need to go shopping or groceries as we are not impressed with the storage space on the Soul, but she thinks its so damn cute so it makes up for it LOL

#34 ·
I agree, the cargo space is very limited.

We have a 2011 Soul + and recently returned from a long trip across country. We had the back seats down and the Lil Alien loaded real heavy, to the point it only had enough space above the cargo to be able to see through the back window. I figure at least 500 pounds.

We put the heaviest stuff in front of or just above the rear axle and did not have any problems with excessive bouncing, in fact it seemed to ride better than when it is unloaded.

At times I was driving well over the speed limit of 75 mph and did not have any handling problems. I did really enjoy the feature of the 2011 Soul with the automatic that allows shifting gears yourself, especially in the mountains out west.

#37 ·
tons of room...

The soul has a lot of space ( maybe not as much cargo space as my old 86 mazda 323 wagon had). I tell everyone.. I can fit a double bass, a cello and their two players ( my kids) in the Soul and still drive, comfortably. How many "small" cars can you say that about???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.