Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am at a loss as to why you would want or need to. WiFi and bluetooth only attache to those that are previously set up by you.

Reactions: mattmc

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,618 Posts
Is there any way to disable the Bluetooth and all of the other wireless features in car?
It will depend on exactly which version of the Soul you have. Tell us more Kiagal!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I too am curious - why would you want to do that? If you don't need them don't use them, nothing will happen - puzzling? Depending on your year and model, I can only think the Bluetooth is the only wireless feature. I don't use it, as its of no use to me, so I just ignore it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will depend on exactly which version of the Soul you have. Tell us more Kiagal!
I'm looking to get a 2015 Soul Plus. It comes with Bluetooth. I'm going to skip the UVO eServices package.

I don't plan on using any of the wireless/internet features and I do have some long term concern about security.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I'm looking to get a 2015 Soul Plus. It comes with Bluetooth. I'm going to skip the UVO eServices package.

I don't plan on using any of the wireless/internet features and I do have some long term concern about security.
you don't have to worry, there is no internet feature in the car (its not a Chevy), Bluetooth is just a very short range connection but you have to make the connection to use it, it has no function of controlling any of the mechanical features of the car. Just ignore it, there is nothing to worry about. I've never made use of it in nearly four years of ownership.

·
Registered
546 Posts
most of the hacks people are getting into the vehicle with involve Bluetooth and the plugins that go into the obd2 port, like the one progressive has and wireless monitors for the engine systems.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Kiagal you will have read or seen how the cars that link to the internet and can be traced or diagnosed , stolen or tampered with. The out going 2015 Souls do not have these features so will be completely safe for you. The Blue tooth is optional you do not have to have it enabled, but if you want to connect your phone I believe you can do it with a cable.
You will not want keyless entry and button start if you are afraid of security issues.
Otherwise you will find the Soul you are looking at Ideal.

Jeff

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2015 has both Bluetooth and Wireless connectivity.

But again, you can turn them on and off, so I don't see a security issue.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It's not like someone can remotely drive away the car, at least not a Kia. If you're afraid of someone unlocking your car, then rip off your car remote feature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I'm an old fashioned driver. I just want a reliable car. I won't use Bluetooth or any of the fancy stuff. My big concern is with hacking. It's not a problem now, but we don't know where things will be in 5+ years. Look at the progression of drones.

Hackers need a way "in" and the easiest way is to use the car's Bluetooth or wireless. Even if I was able to disable the Bluetooth and wireless, it's being said that hackers could find a way in from something as simple as the tire pressure monitoring system.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There literally is no way a hacker can gain anything if they gain access to the Bluetooth. Not in any form or fashion is it connected to anything other than the radio system. Think of it this way, in your house if you have a bluetooth speaker, if someone gets access to it, there is no place else to go, the bluetooth leads to the speaker only, not to anything else. It is a one way system, the Soul does not even send any info about the car even if you have the app unless you are connected with a cable. The one way is from the device to the radio not the other way around, there is no info to extract if connected by bluetooth, the info can only be sent to the radio. The hacking being talked about is a very different thing, and as others mentioned someone getting into your car using the remote system is a million times more likely, and that isn't all that likely either.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,618 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

I'm an old fashioned driver. I just want a reliable car. I won't use Bluetooth or any of the fancy stuff. My big concern is with hacking. It's not a problem now, but we don't know where things will be in 5+ years. Look at the progression of drones.

Hackers need a way "in" and the easiest way is to use the car's Bluetooth or wireless. Even if I was able to disable the Bluetooth and wireless, it's being said that hackers could find a way in from something as simple as the tire pressure monitoring system.
You aren't alone KiaGal in your feelings about tech in cars. This is from Bloomberg today:

Putting Brakes on Tech
Drivers are shunning much of the technology that automakers are stuffing in cars. In its 2015 Driver Interactive Vehicle Experience Report - a study of how new car owners use their vehicles within the first 90 days after a purchase - J.D. Powers found that at least 20 percent never used 16 of the 33 technology features measured. For example, 43 percent ignored the voice link to a human concierge for directions. An additional 35 percent never tried the automatic parking system.

For me personally, I am a tech nerd and love to explore and use everything that came in my car, even though it's a lowly base model, I still use everything from Bluetooth phone, audio and all voice recognition commands. It's a gas!

Reactions: cheferman65

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There literally is no way a hacker can gain anything if they gain access to the Bluetooth. Not in any form or fashion is it connected to anything other than the radio system. Think of it this way, in your house if you have a bluetooth speaker, if someone gets access to it, there is no place else to go, the bluetooth leads to the speaker only, not to anything else. It is a one way system, the Soul does not even send any info about the car even if you have the app unless you are connected with a cable. The one way is from the device to the radio not the other way around, there is no info to extract if connected by bluetooth, the info can only be sent to the radio. The hacking being talked about is a very different thing, and as others mentioned someone getting into your car using the remote system is a million times more likely, and that isn't all that likely either.
I've done a lot of research. The issue with Bluetooth is that is the radio system is a part of the entire computer network. Hackers can enter through the Bluetooth and then gain access to other parts of the car.

From CNN Money:

According to the report, both the 2014 Jeep Cherokee and the 2015 Escalade have an inherent security flaw: The cars' apps, Bluetooth and telematics -- which connects the car to a cellular network like OnStar -- are on the same network as the engine controls, steering, brakes and tire pressure monitor system.

In the 2014 Prius, the AM/FM/XM radio and Bluetooth are on the same network as the steering, brakes and tire pressure monitor.
I don't know if Kia is so sophisticated that they run each computer independently AND they don't allow communication among the various parts of network.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This saddens me. Sensationalist media reporting based on exploits to very specific and poorly designed vehicle systems have now spread panic among those who don't fully understand the tech they have in their vehicles. Just like the mention of "drone technology", this is completely unfounded and ridiculous nonsense. There are a million easier ways to screw with you in your car than trying to "hack" into the system. The only reason you even know this is possible is BECAUSE OF ETHICAL WHITE HAT HACKERS (i.e. Good Guys) trying to convince auto makers to design their systems in a more secure way. If anything, the fact that this news has come out should HELP you feel more secure. That is the reason this information was shared. As usual though, ignorant audiences who only see the headlines that "bad guys can hack your car" freak out. The methods to actually gain control of a vehicle was not shared publicly. The few people that even know how to accomplish this have only shared the exploit with those manufacturers who caused the problem. Again, to encourage them to fix it, not to actually use it.
As has already been mentioned. Kia Souls are not near advanced enough to integrate the bluetooth functions of our cars into any other system in the vehicle. It's not that they are "sophisticated enough to seperate the systems". It's that the cars are not capable enough to include any functionality that would allow this kind of thing. There IS NO WAY IN to anything except the stereo, which stands alone as if you carried a boombox into your vehicle and worried someone could lock your brakes by "hacking" into your boombox. In your "research" you probably found out WHAT is possible, but obviously missed HOW it is possible. There is a reason this is only reported on very specific vehicles and under very specific circumstances. Once again, the media's ability to scare the public with limited information shows how ignorant the average person is regarding tech. Either car makers will begin designing their systems better or we will all go back to "dumb cars" all because the media does a crappy job of relaying information and people pass shock headlines via retarded social media. Paranoid much?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Wow. Very rude post. Mocking someone isn't a good look.
2. I'm neither ignorant nor paranoid. I don't think I would be hacked but famous last words...
3. I don't even want all the extra stuff in the car and have no reason to ever use it. It doesn't fit my lifestyle.
4. If a "white hat" hacker can figure this stuff out, so can a "black hat" hacker. That's just logical.
5. I guess Chrysler recalling 1.2 million cars to make patches to their software was just them being paranoid.
6. I'll rest easy knowing that Kias aren't that technologically advanced making them "hack proof" (sarcasm)

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
KiaGall55 - based on what you wish to purchase (basic Plus model with no UVO), then the only thing it has is Bluetooth - nothing else (nothing similar to OnStar or wi-fi like in the Chev for example). So just pull the fuse for the radio system if you want to be totally disconnected and you should be back to a vehicle before any of the "tech" was even available.

I have never made use of the Bluetooth so never checked to see whether its possible just to turn it off, also I have the UVO system which is not what you want, so that won't help you. Maybe someone with the basic Plus model can check on this. I still think there is nothing to worry about.

No sure on this as I've not looked into it, but I believe there is some type of "blocker" that could be possibly fitted. I think they use something like that in some buildings to block any signals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR - PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSIONS CIVIL - MT-ED

As others have said, if you are really worried about it and are looking for the base model with only a bluetooth radio, you could always remove the head unit and install a simple am/fm cd player with no other connections.

And since I am not allowed to explain my reasoning with logic and dictionary definitions to inform others, I withdraw my attempt at a civil apology and my participation in this thread.

·
Registered
811 Posts
QUOTE REMOVED AS THIS PART OF POST WAS REMOVED BY MODERATOR - MT-ED

CD player??????????
Better to just go back to an 8track, just to be safe.....I'll be over in the left lane doing 10mph under the speed limit with my left turn signal on. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again, the definition fits. There is no reason to think that "hackers" will attack you or your vehicle. Again this points back to the ignorance of the tech in question.
I don't think anyone is going to break into my house, but I lock the doors anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts