Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Say WHAT???
What security card? And exactly what do you wantto disable?
Can you be a little bit more elaborate please?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You are talking about a totally different car!
The Kia Soul doesn't need a security card to "crank it up"

What country are you from? It will tell us what type of Soul you have.

I'm going to take a stab at this..

Here in Canada and also, in Korea, the Souls need a chipped key to enable your Soul to start. Without the chipped key, your Soul will NOT start.

If this is what you are talking about (not a security card) then I am sure you can disable it if you bring it to your Kia Dealership...BUT, why would you want to do this?
You planning on stealing a Soul somewhere? ;)

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,001 Posts
I am going to guess this is a dealer installed add on. I had this happen when I bought a truck years ago. They would install the card key receptacle and try to get people to pay for the upgrade and then install the rest of the system. Any decent stereo/alarm shop can get it out for you easy. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disabling security card

Im going to assume that you are trying to disable the kind of card/swipe security system that is a dealer installed option on many Kia's and others. The way my dealership described it to me was that there have been quite a few thefts as of late from new car dealerships which resulted in insurance rates for the dealers going up, up and up, so as an attempt to stop the rising insurance trend the dealers all got together here in Ohio and had this card swipe system installed with the insurance companies guarantee that the inventory insurance costs would go back down. This is the system thats installed on my Soul Sport. You have to swipe the card every time just before you start it. You have about 20 seconds to do so before the system resets and you have to do it all over. I did some research on the system and found out that it has a valet mode so that you dont have to explain this to a parking attendant before he parks your car. What I found is that if you put the system in that mode, it will stay there indefinately, even between days, weeks and months. To do this you have to hold the security card in front of the receiver like normal until you hear the normal beep, then keep holding it there until you hear 2 additional tones. At this point you are in the valet mode, and you no longer need to do anything before starting your car. Hope this is what you needed and that it helps, sorry for being long winded...

Regards
Jim

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
^^^ If that is the case, then why didn't KIA USA opt for the Chipped key like we have in Canada? Without it, you cannot start the car...thief or no thief.

With the chipped key, no need to swipe..as long as the chip is near the receiver in the ignition, the car will start.

Is it cost perhaps? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Security card system

Im positive that cost is and or was the issue, because I am not impressed with the fact that this add-on is obviously an inexpensive product, and Im suspecting that it will be the source of many no-start complaints down the road. The chipped key seems like a much more professional way to go also. Sure do wish they had gone that route instead of the swipe & gripe system in my Soul.

Regards,
Jim:eek:

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Wow what a great forum!!!....an entire thread purely on guesswork.....How helpful are we!!!.....lol

·
Registered
690 Posts
Im positive that cost is and or was the issue, because I am not impressed with the fact that this add-on is obviously an inexpensive product, and Im suspecting that it will be the source of many no-start complaints down the road. The chipped key seems like a much more professional way to go also. Sure do wish they had gone that route instead of the swipe & gripe system in my Soul.

Regards,
Jim:eek:
"the source of many no-start complaints down the road" is exactly what have happened with many GM models. Passlock 1-2-3 most had/have problems and primary reason vehicle would not start or even stall. costly to repair sensor and it was piece of junk that really didn't prevent thieves from taking the vehicle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
"the source of many no-start complaints down the road" is exactly what have happened with many GM models. Passlock 1-2-3 most had/have problems and primary reason vehicle would not start or even stall. costly to repair sensor and it was piece of junk that really didn't prevent thieves from taking the vehicle.
Yep, a friend of mine has a '06 Saturn Ion that goes through spells where it wont start. I'm Looking at replacing the ignition switch (which seems to be a temporary fix), or disabling the "Passlock" system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much.............I will give a try! I was begininng to think i was the only one who had this feature!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts