Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Disable seat belt chime?

40K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  FLHamster 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2020 Soul and need to disable the seat belt warning chime. The light isn't an issue but the loud chime is and is optionally disabled on a y other vehicle make.

Before getting sermons on this, I am disabled and it is difficult buckling a seat belt when driving in my 10 mph speed bump riddled apartment lot to the office, laundry, etc. Secondly, my daughter was trapped in a burning car by a seatbelt and has a real phobia, and state permission not to wear a belt. It also sometimes hurt to wear one. And she often rides with me.

I've tried all the standard ways of buckling and unbuckling umpteen times, none worked. They've worked on other cars I've owned, including Ford, Chevy, and Subaru. I managed to find a method of that which worked on my 2013 Soul, but I can't find it now and I don't recall the steps from 6 years ago.

There is a red warning light staring you in the face, a very loud continuous chime isn't necessary, and there are real legitimate reasons at times for not putting on a seatbelt.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Howdy and welcome to the forums!! Soul Rush has a very simple answer, I use the extender also but for a different reason.

#8 ·
The light isn't an issue. I think the light is enough warning that the chime isn't necessary. And it seems way louder and more obnoxious than my previous 2013 Soul, or any other car. Have emailed Kia about it and other issues. The idle stop/go can't be permanently turned off. It turns back on when you start the car. And I'd rather lose the fuel economy rather than deal with that rumbling restart at every light. I hate that feature with a passion. A friend with a new Subaru hates it as well. They're forcing too much on people with these newer cars. They say it's what the majority wants, yet everyone I've talked to hates it. And they could still offer a disable for even the minority customers who still buy cars. Just more stuff to break down too. At least if it does, my dealer extends the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty to 20/200,000, with the first 100,000 bumper to bumper.

#10 ·
Check the box below entitled Similar Threads. While not for Gen3, there may be some ideas in previous chatter.

Congrats on your new Soul.

#12 ·
I see that the last post to this topic was 8 months ago. But the answer is still the same.

I use an extender from "Seat Belt Pros", and I have both the 5" model and the 8" model. They have worked flawlessly in my last three cars. (both, Japanese and Korean made)

Once the extender is installed into the driver's side seat belt buckle, the car thinks that the seat belt is fastened and all lights and alert sounds are silenced. It can be a "Permanent" fix for the problem.
And it makes buckling up a "SNAP".;) (if and when you really want to Buckle Up)

I also enjoy the comfort of a nice soft center arm rest, which I made, and attached to the OEM Center arm rest, with two sided tape. When I have a passenger, I install the 8" Seat Belt Extender on the passenger seat. My passengers all love both the seat belt extender and the comfy arm rest.

Happy Holidays!
:cool:

#13 ·
Just bought a 2020 Soul and need to disable the seat belt warning chime. The light isn't an issue but the loud chime is and is optionally disabled on a y other vehicle make.

Before getting sermons on this, I am disabled and it is difficult buckling a seat belt when driving in my 10 mph speed bump riddled apartment lot to the office, laundry, etc. Secondly, my daughter was trapped in a burning car by a seatbelt and has a real phobia, and state permission not to wear a belt. It also sometimes hurt to wear one. And she often rides with me.

I've tried all the standard ways of buckling and unbuckling umpteen times, none worked. They've worked on other cars I've owned, including Ford, Chevy, and Subaru. I managed to find a method of that which worked on my 2013 Soul, but I can't find it now and I don't recall the steps from 6 years ago.

There is a red warning light staring you in the face, a very loud continuous chime isn't necessary, and there are real legitimate reasons at times for not putting on a seatbelt.
SOLUTION - I am sure not all Kia's are alike. But I just purchased a 2022 Kia Soul LX. I looked under the drivers seat and noticed 2 plug in jacks on the seat bottom, underneath. They are mounted on either side of the manual seat track adjustment bar. The jack closest to the center console shows that the wires that exit the jack go into the seatbelt. I simply unplugged that jack. No more seatbelt chime. I didn't notice any other problems such as dash warning lights. So that seems to work for me.

#14 ·
SOLUTION - I am sure not all Kia's are alike. But I just purchased a 2022 Kia Soul LX. I looked under the driver's seat and noticed 2 plug-in jacks on the seat bottom, underneath. They are mounted on either side of the manual seat track adjustment bar. The jack closest to the center console shows that the wires that exit the jack goes into the seatbelt. I simply unplugged that jack. No more seatbelt chime. I didn't notice any other problems such as dash warning lights. So that seems to work for me.
Good idea about unplugging underneath the seat. My concern would be, would the car know to release the airbag in an accident?

#16 · (Edited)
The seat belt extender does fake out the electronics, so the car thinks you have your seat belt fastened. NO Chimes!
And if required, the Air Bag will function as intended.
You don't have to be an electronics engineer to pull this off, but it may help. lol
And if you use the seat belt extender, you can easily move it to another car.
Not so, with many of the other accessories that you may add to your Soul.

:cool:

#17 ·
ALSO - It just occurred to me. There are several "parameters" that arm or disarm the vehicles "ISG - Idle, Stop & Go" feature. One parameter is if you are sitting in a parking lot with the engine running to keep warm and you do not have your seatbelt buckled. This prevents the "ISG" system from arming and thereby shutting off your engine to save fuel. So guess what else I have discovered? Not only does your seatbelt chime stop ringing. But it disables your "ISG" system from arming. Anytime you stop at a red light. The "ISG" believes your seatbelt is not on (which is one of the parameters that prevents the "ISG" from turning off your engine). ie. You no longer have to manually turn off the "Auto Stop Start" button every time you start your engine. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
lol I don't!
I just push in the ISG button, and jam it with something*, and it stays OFF. Never to be heard from again. No bells, whistles, flashing lights, and the engine stays ON.
I do pull out the little "jammer" when I take my car in to the dealer for an oil change. Then I put it back in when on my way home.
* I used a little piece of card stock, and one other gentleman reported that he used a Tooth Pick to jam the ISG button IN. Anything that will keep the button depressed will disable the ISG function, without any more ifs, ands, buts, etc. It's just OFF! Permanently, at least till you remover the 'Jammer'. Works for me!

Happy Trails,
FLH :cool:

#20 ·

I FOUND A VIDEO THAT WORKS ON THE KIA SOUL ! And I just did it to my 2022 kia soul. It works. So simple, simply turn on the car on without STARTING connect the seatbelt ! Unfasten and refasten 3 times. turn off the power to car unhook seatbelt ! Enjoy ! The light in the dash is on but no chimes . Awesome 😎

#21 ·
Repeat:
For several years and several cars, I've used the Seat Belt Extenders. The main reason I first bought one was to make the act of Buckling Up a lot easier. When I first get in the car, I find myself sitting on the seat belt buckle. The OEM buckles are just too short. Even the shortest Extender gets the buckle up to where I can reach it, when I want to Buckle Up.
Product Automotive lighting Material property Font Vehicle door

This pic shows the 7" Extender being used in the back seat, for the convenience of the passenger.

NOTE: I did not buy my first Seat Belt Extender for the purpose of silencing the Seat Belt Alarm, but it certainly does have that effect, without altering anything in the car's wiring, that could possibly cause a problem with the car and/or void the warranty.
My own warranty is very precious to me, since I have NO funds for car repairs, so I take great pains to not void it.
Once I remove my seat belt extender and then remove the little piece of card stock that jams the ISG switch, my car will pass any KIA inspection and remains "Pure Stock". And I can quickly transfer all my little Fixes from one car to another.
I didn't even mention my Scan Gauge II, which I've now used on four different cars.
Font Display device Technology Rectangle Electronic device

It's easily re-programmed for cars with different engines, # of cylinders, Displacement, etc.
It connects to the car via the OBD Port, so it's easily removed.
The Speed can even be calibrated, using a GPS.

I do like Gadgets, Gizmos and Quick Fixes, as long as I can quickly remove them from my car, leaving no trace.

Cheers mates!
FLH :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.