Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2020 Soul and need to disable the seat belt warning chime. The light isn't an issue but the loud chime is and is optionally disabled on a y other vehicle make.

Before getting sermons on this, I am disabled and it is difficult buckling a seat belt when driving in my 10 mph speed bump riddled apartment lot to the office, laundry, etc. Secondly, my daughter was trapped in a burning car by a seatbelt and has a real phobia, and state permission not to wear a belt. It also sometimes hurt to wear one. And she often rides with me.

I've tried all the standard ways of buckling and unbuckling umpteen times, none worked. They've worked on other cars I've owned, including Ford, Chevy, and Subaru. I managed to find a method of that which worked on my 2013 Soul, but I can't find it now and I don't recall the steps from 6 years ago.

There is a red warning light staring you in the face, a very loud continuous chime isn't necessary, and there are real legitimate reasons at times for not putting on a seatbelt.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
None that I know of. I can (and just did) disable it in my Ram, but Kia's is in your face, there and square. If you figure out a method let me know.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!! Soul Rush has a very simple answer, I use the extender also but for a different reason.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
........and a piece of electrical tape for the light on the dash :joyous:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I'm trying to do but haven't found one that matches that belt. It's too new that there's nothing out for it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The light isn't an issue. I think the light is enough warning that the chime isn't necessary. And it seems way louder and more obnoxious than my previous 2013 Soul, or any other car. Have emailed Kia about it and other issues. The idle stop/go can't be permanently turned off. It turns back on when you start the car. And I'd rather lose the fuel economy rather than deal with that rumbling restart at every light. I hate that feature with a passion. A friend with a new Subaru hates it as well. They're forcing too much on people with these newer cars. They say it's what the majority wants, yet everyone I've talked to hates it. And they could still offer a disable for even the minority customers who still buy cars. Just more stuff to break down too. At least if it does, my dealer extends the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty to 20/200,000, with the first 100,000 bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Check the box below entitled Similar Threads. While not for Gen3, there may be some ideas in previous chatter.

Congrats on your new Soul.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I see that the last post to this topic was 8 months ago. But the answer is still the same.

I use an extender from "Seat Belt Pros", and I have both the 5" model and the 8" model. They have worked flawlessly in my last three cars. (both, Japanese and Korean made)

Once the extender is installed into the driver's side seat belt buckle, the car thinks that the seat belt is fastened and all lights and alert sounds are silenced. It can be a "Permanent" fix for the problem.
And it makes buckling up a "SNAP".;) (if and when you really want to Buckle Up)

I also enjoy the comfort of a nice soft center arm rest, which I made, and attached to the OEM Center arm rest, with two sided tape. When I have a passenger, I install the 8" Seat Belt Extender on the passenger seat. My passengers all love both the seat belt extender and the comfy arm rest.

Happy Holidays!
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts