Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last car had a key fob with very recessed buttons. On the Soul with keyless entry I continually hit the bottom button when it is in my pants pocket as soon as I lean against something or put something on my lap while sitting. It is super annoying and I see zero value in having a button that remotely triggers the weak horn to honk.

Short of opening up the key fob and destroying the button that causes the horn to honk, can I disable the "alarm" feature?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
don't put it in your pants pocket, I carry mine in my shirt/jacket pocket, had the same problem just a couple of times after I first got my new car (first time I've had a vehicle with a smart key) when I carried it there, its just a bad place for it and only logical it will happen. Not sure what gender you are as to make any other suggestions.
There is various holders for the key fob that may solve the problem (particular if its a hard case). Don't think I would want to messing around with doing something to a smart key fob - they are not cheap to replace.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=car+...nnxNXMAhXMxYMKHR6_CD4QsAQINA&biw=1608&bih=955

Please fill out your Drive info as we have no idea of the details of what you are driving - my crystal ball is in for service :sneakiness:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, that button is super annoying and easy to inadvertently hit. I'd like to know how to disable it too. The last thing I want is a case for it. Why are we slaves to these things?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, that button is super annoying and easy to inadvertently hit. I'd like to know how to disable it too. The last thing I want is a case for it. Why are we slaves to these things?
Ya happened to me all day yesterday when I was cleaning my car XD. I know how you feel. I wasn't wearing a shirt that had a shirt pocket. thankfully today I am. Either I need one of those belt key chains which look dorky or wear shirt pockets all day.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I was thinking more about this problem and potential cheap fix might be to get a plastic pill box and something similar either kicking around the house or from a pharmacy or dollar store.

Or as I mentioned one of the more fancy fob holders but in a hard case and then it won't compress when you carry it in places where you bend your body.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking more about this problem and potential cheap fix might be to get a plastic pill box and something similar either kicking around the house or from a pharmacy or dollar store.

Or as I mentioned one of the more fancy fob holders but in a hard case and then it won't compress when you carry it in places where you bend your body.
As a guy who gets to dress in jeans and a T shirt to work I don't always have a shirt with a pocket on it. Also, I need to put everything in the exact same pocket every day or else it will walk away! I was hoping their was a setting in the car that I could disable the honking/alert button all together. It looks like I may have to indeed modify the button. I have no problem opening things up and soldering them, I have modified much more expensive items then this key fob.

One idea that I had was to disassemble the key fob then use hot melt glue to prevent the button from being depressed and making contact with the circuit board. This way it would be a simple modification and also be reversible.

It has taken some time but I have finally moved to having only a single "key" in my life. All doors at home and work are RFID or keypad entry. This is literally the only key I carry so I don't want to make it any bulkier, put it in a box, or hang it from my belt. :-/

When I get some time to mod the key I will share some pictures with you guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After the millionth time of setting off the alarm in my pocket, I went ahead and dismantled the fob and removed the alarm button. It is very easy and completely reversible. Also, you can still activate the horn with the tip of your pinky if you really want. Plus, there is a piece of clear rubber below the removed plastic button, so your fob wont even really get dirt in it. It seems to have worked out pretty ideally. I'm putting the removed button in an envelope in the glove compartment or something, because it is definitely going to get lost.

IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts