Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Did you know? Hidden Recirculated Air Settings

16K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  EboniLM 
#1 ·
How often have you been driving down the road, see a semi truck ahead spewing black smoke and you try to reach for the recirculated air button but it won't set because defog or defog/floor is set and, by default to prevent fogging, it won't set. And by the time you figure out why it won't set your Soul is now filled with diesel stink.

I accidentally discovered this hidden setting today after pressing the button repeatedly frustrated that I couldn't set it for the minute I needed it after noticing the car in front of me lighting a cigarette.

Triple press the recirculated air button to override the restriction. The A/C and Recirculated Air lights will flash and you will be able set Recirculated Air anytime you need it.
Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part Speedometer

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#4 ·
I needed it after noticing the car in front of me lighting a cigarette.
I sincerely feel sorry for you if you can detect and be bothered by someone in a car in front of you just lighting up a cigarette. How on earth do you manage to take a breath outside of a bubble.

#6 · (Edited)
You must be a smoker. The smell of cigarette smoke, to those of us who don't smoke, is repulsive. It STINKS and not only that, but it LINGERS in the vehicle and on your clothes. I choose not to be a suicidal, pack a day smoker and i dont wanna smell like one either. This is why I do NOT allow anyone to smoke in or near my Soul. If I don't smoke and don't want people smoking in my vehicle, what makes you think I'd want cigarette from the car in front of me blowing DIRECTLY into my face via my vents?

The only time my recirculate gets used is when behind smokers, older cars with awful exhaust, or dust from dump trucks.

I can also smell when someone in front of me has a can of beer open in their car or truck. These smells are literally been sucked in from outside and blown into your face. It doesn't take a sensitive nose, just a mildly functioning one.

[Sent from my Nexus 7. Pardon errors.]

#7 ·
Install the FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter ( CF10776 ) and you won't smell nearly so many obnoxious smells coming in from outside.
I used one for three years in my Suzuki SX4, and it really does work.

Just a suggestion.

:cool:

Reactions: EboniLM
#21 ·
I am pretty sure the complaining was intended to be regarding the smell of smoking, not the fact that someone else smokes in their own car.

Smells can be repulsive to people, it's all subjective. Peoples senses are not all at the same level of acuteness. A couple of obvious ones are sight and hearing, people have varying levels of both of those senses, and the same applies to touch, taste, and smell as well. For example if you can't see something that another person can due to decreased levels of vision, does it mean that they should ignore what they see since you can't see it?

#19 · (Edited)
^^ You must have a special edition Soul that CREATES its own air for the fan and a/c.
The rest of ours pull it from outside. Must be nice to have untainted, 100% pure oxygen flowing through your vehicle at all times.
he's talking about the re-circulation button, you have one of them, when you press that it re-circulates the air within the vehicle instead of drawing from the outside (cuts off getting that diesel smoke smell the OP was talking about). Also with it on, it will either cool or warm up the air in the vehicle faster, but once that's accomplished you switch it off so that it will then draw in outside air otherwise it can create problems if used continuously.

Just press your fan button (the outline of a car with a reverse arrow) which an indicator light will light up to show its in that mode. It will also come on automatically when you select MAX a/c.

#20 ·
I think you misunderstood me, conwelpic. I know what the recirculate button is, what it does, as I'm very well acquainted with it due to the same reasons as the OP (exhaust, truck smoke, and cigarette smoke, etc)

My prior post was in response to BuzzardT's thinking that the OP's complaint of cigarette smoke in the first place is silly. I was saying that in order for him to think someone being bothered by second hand smoke from the vehicle directly I'm front of him is stupid, he must either drive with recirculate on all the time or have a special soul that doesn't pull the fan or regular (not max) a/c air from outside like everyone else's.

#22 ·
Recirculation settings still get about 10% of the air from the outside.

People with allergies or asthma can have issues with pollutants like cigarette smoke. For my wife even a small amount may cause an asthma attack. I don't begrudge people doing what they want to their bodies; I don't begrudge people smoking in public places; but I'll do everything in my power to keep the smoke away from my bride.

#25 ·
Thanks for the tip, it will come in useful :)

As for the car in front lighting up a cigarette, unless you were stuck in traffic, I can't possibly see how you could smell it. By the time they blow the smoke out and it goes outside, it's diluted with so much natural air that the miniscule particles would be immaterial compared to exhaust.

#28 ·
I've totally got to agree with comments about cigarette smoke coming from outside, and diesel fumes, and skunk, and dairy farms......or any farm with animals for that matter............we've even been driving along and one of us has said to the other, "Did you fart?" How the hell are we detecting someone farting out on the street as we drive past?

I don't know what it is about the Soul, but it hauls in any exterior stench, whether stationary or not, like no car I've ever driven. Or did I just get more sensitive as I got older?

#29 ·
Honestly to see someone light up you need to be almost kissing bumpers. Break Check. I am very very sensitive to smoke my dad does and has and will till the day he dies but as to see someone light up and smell it I just don't get it.

Now the other day some smoker threw a butt out the window and it hit my soul it took almost all i had not to drop my empty soda out the window in front of them. I am not normally a person that get upset but it hit my hood and window.

#30 ·
I pay attention to what other drivers are doing, not just the other cars. Observing a driver's movement can clue you in to what he's planning of doing, long before he decides to do it. Or whether he's paying more attention to his radio/cell phone/hamburger/coffee than driving.

And sadly, cigarette smokers are among the worst litterers in the world. I guess their mommies never taught them how to clean up their own butts.

#34 ·
I'm confused as to what this little trick does. If I want to use recirculate, I just hit the button. Is this trick to use recirculate while the a/c is off? Ie, you're just blowing the fan air?

Slightly related: for some reason, at night, I can never just blow my fan air without having to constantly switch back and forth between the windshield defog and then back to fan. My windshield ALWAYS fogs up when I just blow my cool fan air. Then in order to clear it, I have to turn it all the way to hot and switch the more to windshield defog. Then it INSTANTLY clears up. Then, I'l switch the mode back to body/feet or just body and turn the temp back to cool and ride for maybe 5-10min before my windshield starts to fog up again. F--KING annoying as all hell. Is there anyway to combat this? I could always use ,y a/c, but whenever the weather's nice and cool (55-70) degrees, I'd rather have my windows down (same windshield fog result) or just bow the fan air. It's a waste of gas to utilize the a/c when it's already naturally cold, IMO. :/

#35 · (Edited)
I'm confused as to what this little trick does. If I want to use recirculate, I just hit the button. Is this trick to use recirculate while the a/c is off? Ie, you're just blowing the fan air?

Slightly related: for some reason, at night, I can never just blow my fan air without having to constantly switch back and forth between the windshield defog and then back to fan. My windshield ALWAYS fogs up when I just blow my cool fan air. Then in order to clear it, I have to turn it all the way to hot and switch the more to windshield defog. Then it INSTANTLY clears up. Then, I'l switch the mode back to body/feet or just body and turn the temp back to cool and ride for maybe 5-10min before my windshield starts to fog up again. F--KING annoying as all hell. Is there anyway to combat this? I could always use ,y a/c, but whenever the weather's nice and cool (55-70) degrees, I'd rather have my windows down (same windshield fog result) or just bow the fan air. It's a waste of gas to utilize the a/c when it's already naturally cold, IMO. :/
]
just trying to follow this, but read 4/82-84 in your owners manual, it sounds like your defogging logic is turned off. With it on your a/c will operate when you put it in the floor/defrost or full defrost position, this will generally clear up fogging on the inside quicker than with just the regular fan as a/c operation removes moisture from the air.
Fan speed and temperature are independent.
We get cold temperature here and I have the defog logic turn on, so that when I defrost the a/c kicks in which also maintains the a/c components when I don't use them for many months of the year, as its recommended to run it at least once a month, so this way I don't have to remember. Because its a/c it doesn't mean it runs cold if the temperature is in the heat position.
You can also turn the a/c manually if you feel you don't want it when it does kick in automatically. Also in defrost mode you are not using the a/c very much, because as soon as you switch back to other positions it shuts off.
Opening a window also helps speed up any defrost problems quickly, depending on the conditions at the time. This can vary depending on your location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.