Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took advantage of some alone time on Saturday when my wife took our 4 1/2 year old daughter to her Aunt's for the day. Basically had 12 hours all to myself and it was a beautiful day out, so it was time to torture some dealers.

For the past several weeks, I've been researching the Scion XB (2008 and Up) and really wanted to sit in one and drive one. The exterior styling isn't too bad, but I wasn't too sure about the interior.I found a used 2008 XB with 51k on it. So off I went.

2008 Scion xB in Hartford, CT- 7232503 at carmax.com

Wow, what a total POS this thing is. Here is what I didn't like.

1. The roof shutters when you close the doors. You can actually see it shake like a bass drum when you close the doors.
2. The interior looks like it was designed by a 8 year, a box of crayons and a framing square.
3. The stalk controls on the steering column looked they were pulled from a 1993 Corolla. Very basic and cheap looking.
4. Quality of materials were very cheap.
5. No passenger armrest...WTF?
6. The head unit (Standard Scion/Pioneer design) is completely confusing. I work in I.T. and consider myself pretty tech savvy. But I couldn't figure out how to change the channels in this thing after 2 minutes.
7. The transmission is always downshifting. At times it feels like it's dropping down 2 gears as you can feel the car jerk back when it downshifts. Almost like it's in the wrong gear.
8. The HVAC control's felt very crude. Almost like it had mud in the dials.

Here is what I did like.

1. Power was decent. It had some decent low end torque.
2. Relatively quiet.
3. Ride was ok, kinda choppy.
4. Very spacious inside.

After being completely disappointed with the XB. I then went after a 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback 2.3S.

2009 Mazda Mazda3 S in Hartford, CT- 7607282 at carmax.com

The Mazda3 hatch was great. Here is what I liked.

1. Great Interior.
2. Quality of the materials were very high
3. Decent power
4. Great ride
5. Dead quiet.
6. Transmission was very responsive.

What I didn't like. (It's a short list, I think coming from the XB. I was kinda biased)
1. Felt kinda cramped in it.

I then headed out to one of the local KIA dealers and drove a 2011 Forte 5 SX

2011 Kia Forte 5-Door for sale in Enfield, CT - Gary Rome Kia of Enfield - KNAFW5A37B5408514

Wow, I absolutely loved this car.

1. The 2.4 173 HP is absolutely perfect for this car. It has enough power to get up and go. It's kinda like driving a V6.
2. Handled great. Very quick and responsive
3. Suspension was firm, but not bone jarring.
4. Interior was nice, quality of materials seemed to be very good. For it's price point.
5. The 6 speed automatic is awesome. After driving a 4 speed for the past 6 years, having the 2 extra gears to go through was a bonus.
6. Very roomy. I didn't feel cramped at all.
7. Quiet ride.

What I didn't like.

1. Had a vibration issue at around 80 MPH. (My salesperson was great. he really let me get on it it).
2. Visibility out of the rear hatch kinda sucked with the center mounted headrest on the backseat.

and to wrap the day up. I drove a 2011 Molten Plus.

2011 Kia Soul for sale in Enfield, CT - Gary Rome Kia of Enfield - KNDJT2A28B7233772

The salesperson was punishing me on this one. But It was the only one on the lot so I didn't care....LOL.

Not going to mention anything about the Soul, since all of the features, pro's and con's have been discussed many many times.

As far as test driving vehicles, I would highly recommend going to CarMax. For doing research they can't be beat. They have a diverse selections and you can drive as many car's as you want and there is absolutely no pressure to purchase anything.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
CarMax is a ripoff. They list their prices way over blue book and don't negotiate. If you really HAVE to get out of a car, fine. But to just buy one? No freaking way. They are WAAAAYYYYYYYY overpriced.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CarMax is a ripoff. They list their prices way over blue book and don't negotiate. If you really HAVE to get out of a car, fine. But to just buy one? No freaking way. They are WAAAAYYYYYYYY overpriced.
Couldn't agree with you more. The average retail is typically $3000-$4000 over the rest of the market.

I just went there to do some test drives since they were the only dealer in my area that had an XB.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I think they cater to people like the ones that shop at DriveTime (I think that's their name). I guess if your credit is shaky or whatever it's a place to buy.

I was stunned when I went to a Car Max a few months back while waiting on some service on my Soul and saw a 2006 PT Cruiser with 82,000 miles for 9995 dollars. That one is seared in my memory. Other offerings included a 2004 Toyota Corolla S for around 9 thousand bucks if I remember correctly.

Every car was so overpriced I was stunned. I went in thinking Car Max was a decent place to go. Now I know better. I wouldn't buy a candy bar from that place!

I can't believe anyone would buy there.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've sold many cars to Carmax, but only bought one from them. It was a 2001 Wrangler on their "last chance before we wholesale it" list. Price was actually about $1k below market. In fact, I sold it for $500 more than I paid for it a year later.

Deals there are few and far between, but every once and a while they pop up. Too bad they can't translate their service and sales model into something other than a high, no haggle price structure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts