Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 soul has 11 paint chips about the size of a felt tip marker. DEFECTIVE PAINT as every tie i wash the car with a touchless carwash of course there are a few more

·
Registered
20 Posts
The factory will most likely do nothing about your paint chips. That is not a paint defect. If you would of reported the the chips when you took delivery of the car they would of repaired them.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,522 Posts
The factory will most likely do nothing about your paint chips. That is not a paint defect. If you would of reported the the chips when you took delivery of the car they would of repaired them.
I agree donzi. Most likely they've taken direct hits from highway "asteroid" pebbles thrown by other cars and trucks. I have 2 small chips on the front of mine (not big enough to do anything about).

I'm extra careful and avoid following suspect dirt haulers etc. The 2020 Soul does have a deflector available now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My 2020 soul has 11 paint chips about the size of a felt tip marker. DEFECTIVE PAINT as every tie i wash the car with a touchless carwash of course there are a few more
Can you post a photo of a couple of the chips? Include something to help us understand the size, like a penny or a ruler. If it's not obvious, also tell us where on the car the chips are.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
783 Posts
I agree with donzi, you take a chance of getting chips every time you drive on streets or roads. Streets and roads aren't clean, lots of pebbles/sand/etc.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It is not defective paint, rather it is the fact that cars are now painted with a water based paint and not solvent based. The water base is more susceptible to chipping. All cars are now using water base paint.

Pat.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It is not defective paint, rather it is the fact that cars are now painted with a water based paint and not solvent based. The water base is more susceptible to chipping. All cars are now using water base paint.

Pat.
Yup!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brushless car washes are BS. They still get crap caught in their brushes and hand car washes dont all use mircofiber towels or mits. Check out ChrisFix on Youtube. He has a video on car washing that is spot on.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,522 Posts
Brushless car washes are BS. They still get crap caught in their brushes and hand car washes dont all use mircofiber towels or mits. Check out ChrisFix on Youtube. He has a video on car washing that is spot on.
I wish ChrisFix live on my street. My car would be super clean and I'd be able to find out the answer to almost any problem :)

Reactions: JerseyBoy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish ChrisFix live on my street. My car would be super clean and I'd be able to find out the answer to almost any problem :)

Lol he actually is from Jersey and doesnt live far from me! Maybe i can get my GTLine in avideo of his!? ??

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Kia is known for defective paint, see the whole Stinger fiasco. Also, a certain youtuber had paint issues with his brand new Kia Sedona and only due his status he was able to get kia's attention. I agree, paint should not come off every time you wash your car, otherwise, no one would use car washes. Start with the dealership, then eventually escalate to Kia corporate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What? Nothing but water and product touchless the car — no brushes.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
In order to incur a chip something would have to have contacted the surface.
Now...if you could simply flake away surrounding paint from the chipped area, I would say that qualifies as a paint "defect" and Kia should address it.
The blunt noses on these souls has always made them susceptible to paint damage.
Some folks like the clear vinyl applique bra, others such as myself like the removable styles like the ones LeBra offers.

PS...sometimes "chips" are not chips at all but something like asphalt, tar or other debris stuck to the surface of the paint.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Chips happen. If your car paint getting chipped is the worst thing that happens to it, not to mention what may happen to you in life, well Boo hoo hoo. :LOL:

OK. I don't like chips or scratches either. But such is life. If you just can't stand it, pay up and buy a new car every year or 2. I like to buy from those guys when I can. :sneaky:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The paint seems very cheap. I have several chips on the front of my 2018 with 13000 miles. My 2016 patrol car with 30000 miles has none! My patrol car gets put through more extreme conditions than my Kia to include many higher speed jaunts on the interstate in pursuit of criminals. And to think Ford used to be known for their cheap paint. I think Kia has taken that distinction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the same problem 2020 kia soul brand new off the lot, chip on the hood. Now I had to get a paint pen because it has chips on the door, hood and side panel. I have a 2013 Ford for 5 years now same conditions and worse somehow does not have chips much less chips that will make big ones if not using the touch up pen. I feel I'm going to have to get a repaint to keep it from falling all off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts