Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read about this on another car board I'm on. What kind of dipshit dealership hires a guy as an auto tech that not only can't drive a stick but also doesn't have a driver's license?
You'd be surprised the clowns that "stealerships" hire. If you are fresh out of ASE class with zero experience, guess what? They're learning on your car. Have you seen trades and crafts? Plumbers , electricians, carpenters, floor guys, and masons. Guess what ? They will learn on your house.
My KIA dealership has 2 vets (5 years experience or more) but about 10 with zero experience. And I wait to reschedule with those "vets" not the cherries.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This is not uncommon, plenty of places I worked at have people that can't drive a stick. I have to admit it but where I currently work at all the people in service and our porter and detailer (detailer is a woman) can drive a stick. Sadly none of our salespeople can, seriously they have to have the finance manager test drive cars that are stick shifts with customers and can't even pull them to the back to get washed or detailed. Sad, it's not rocket science, I learned in about an hour as a teenager and taught my daughters in about the same amount of time.
I learned to drive stick when I was 12. I was working at a summer bungalow colony, and the owner taught me on his vehicles. It was a big place and I worked there for several summers, so I got to do a lot of driving on his property (and occasionally on the road when I felt brave).

Richard

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
We used have a Triumph Spitfire when I was a little kid. It would sometimes backfire. Riding down the road with the top down, my mother driving, every time it backfired I'd pretend I was shooting a gun.

Even though no one in my family hunted, my mother - who'd been in the army when she was a teenager - kinda talked a lot about guns when I was a kid. When we went on (car) trips staying in a motels, she slept with a gun under her pillow.

My mother sent me to driving school cause she didn't want me to pick up her bad habits - one being she braked with her left foot. Once as a little kid I was in a car with an uncle driving and saw him using his right foot to operate both the gas pedal and the brake pedal - my mind was BLOWN!!!

When I go to take my driving test the sheriff didn't like that I was gonna take the test in the driving school car (mid-size 2-door) and not my mother's big land yacht. But apparently there was nothing he could do to prevent me.

The sheriff and I drove around downtown, down backalleys and such. I wasn't doing very well, for example applying the brakes way early when headed to a stop sign and then practically coasting the rest of the way there.

At one point we're driving on a one-way street past a line of parked cars and the sheriff tells me to (parallel) park in a space between two cars. I look at the space and then almost say to the sheriff "Do you really think this car will fit in that space?" But I didn't.

I performed perhaps the most perfect parallel parking maneuver every in the history of driving, certainly the best I had every done and have ever done since. Slight exaggeration, there was maybe an inch clearanance in front of each bumper.

The sheriff turns to me and says "You don't need to be on the road".

In an instant the reptillian portion of my brain tells me the sheriff is saying this on purpose, that he is (intentionally) trying to get me riled up. So I made a conscious choice and didn't say a thing. And so we sat there in silence. After awhile he wrote on the test and gave it to me. He scored me low, but passing low. He could have failed me and there would have been nothing to do but try again another time.
I took my road test in Queens (a borough in New York City) on a bitterly cold day in January during a snowstorm that bordered on being a blizzard.

When the examiner told me to get started, I rolled down the window to use a hand signal. Hand signals were expected back then during the road test (and would never be used again after the road test). A blast of snow and frigid air came through the open window, and the examiner yelled at me asked me what the [bleep] I was doing.

"I have to use hand signals, don't I?" I responded.

"Are you [bleep]ing crazy? Close the [bleep]ing window before I fail you just for being [bleep]ing stupid!"

We ran through the road test more-or-less uneventfully except when I changed to the left lane without him telling me to. He asked me why, and I pointed to a lady who, by then, had the rear driver's side door open to get a baby out of an infant seat. After I passed her I changed lanes into the right lane again.

"Okay," he said, "Good thinking. And unless you rear-end someone on the way back, you passed."

Back then, they didn't tell you whether you passed or failed on the day of the road test, so he was breaking the rules by telling me. But I guess I impressed him. It just seemed like common sense to me.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Years ago on an uphill incline to a fast food window the young woman in front of me kept rolling back every time she pushed in her clutch and tried to move forward. When my front bumper finally stopped her she came back and said “ Sir, can you please help me? “ I had her get in the passenger seat, showed her how to coordinate the parking brake, clutch, gas pedal and pulled up to the window. She was very grateful (but not “ that grateful “) I was about 65 and she was a teenager. LOL.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Took my test in the UK waaaay back when in a Peugeot 304, stick-shift o'course. Back then if you took the test in an automatic, your license said "Automatic Gearbox Only". A Mark Of Shame....
They still have that..... As should be done everywhere..
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Nono

Get it wrong ☺

Klaatu Batata Neck-tie..

And watch the world burn...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Years ago on an uphill incline to a fast food window the young woman in front of me kept rolling back every time she pushed in her clutch and tried to move forward. When my front bumper finally stopped her she came back and said “ Sir, can you please help me? “ I had her get in the passenger seat, showed her how to coordinate the parking brake, clutch, gas pedal and pulled up to the window. She was very grateful (but not “ that grateful “) I was about 65 and she was a teenager. LOL.
Holy **** - if that was years ago, how old are you now? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I took my road test in Queens (a borough in New York City) on a bitterly cold day in January during a snowstorm that bordered on being a blizzard.

When the examiner told me to get started, I rolled down the window to use a hand signal. Hand signals were expected back then during the road test (and would never be used again after the road test). A blast of snow and frigid air came through the open window, and the examiner yelled at me asked me what the [bleep] I was doing.

"I have to use hand signals, don't I?" I responded.

"Are you [bleep]ing crazy? Close the [bleep]ing window before I fail you just for being [bleep]ing stupid!"

We ran through the road test more-or-less uneventfully except when I changed to the left lane without him telling me to. He asked me why, and I pointed to a lady who, by then, had the rear driver's side door open to get a baby out of an infant seat. After I passed her I changed lanes into the right lane again.

"Okay," he said, "Good thinking. And unless you rear-end someone on the way back, you passed."

Back then, they didn't tell you whether you passed or failed on the day of the road test, so he was breaking the rules by telling me. But I guess I impressed him. It just seemed like common sense to me.

Richard
I took my first "official" drivers license test when I was in the military. Before that I drove all over the place just without a license. Then me and another guy were visiting his home and his mother had a heart attack while we were there. The Navy gave him emergency leave and told me to get back to base. We were in Oklahoma and I had to drive back to Chicago. Made it fine but figured it was time to get "legal" after that. Drove myself down to the license center in my car. The tester looked at me kind of funny when we went out there; I think I gave him some BS line about where my "driver" was. The driving test in Chicago was literally this: turn right out of the license center. Came to a red light. Turn right at this red light. Drove on that road for about half a mile. Turn right at the next stop sign. Drove on that road for maybe half a mile. Turn right at the next light. Turn back into the license center.

It's the only driving test I've ever taken.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I took my first "official" drivers license test when I was in the military. Before that I drove all over the place just without a license. Then me and another guy were visiting his home and his mother had a heart attack while we were there. The Navy gave him emergency leave and told me to get back to base. We were in Oklahoma and I had to drive back to Chicago. Made it fine but figured it was time to get "legal" after that. Drove myself down to the license center in my car. The tester looked at me kind of funny when we went out there; I think I gave him some BS line about where my "driver" was. The driving test in Chicago was literally this: turn right out of the license center. Came to a red light. Turn right at this red light. Drove on that road for about half a mile. Turn right at the next stop sign. Drove on that road for maybe half a mile. Turn right at the next light. Turn back into the license center.

It's the only driving test I've ever taken.
My driving test wasn’t much more than that. They did have me make a 3 point turn and some backing up, but thank god I didn’t have to parallel park. I couldn’t do it then and I still can’t do it lol 😆

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,450 Posts
My driving test wasn’t much more than that. They did have me make a 3 point turn and some backing up, but thank god I didn’t have to parallel park. I couldn’t do it then and I still can’t do it lol 😆

Same here. I'm used to driving cars with longer wheel bases, so when I parallel park the Soul, I'm usually about a foot & a half from the curb. Embarrassing.

I look for spots now where I can pull in head first :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
For 5 years I used to be a driver at the Manheim Auto Auction in Daytona beach. Driving a stick was only half of the requirement. I can't recall all the different style of transmission selections and types of vehicles that I had to drive thru the auction lane. Add to that the fact some had dead batteries, and you had to keep them reved up enought to keep from stalling while going thru the auction lane. Some right hand drive vehicles, wreckers, tractors, not to mention motorcycles with any kind variation of shift patterns. Yep, I consider myself qualified to drive on the crazy highways that we have today. Not sure about everyone else. I learned how to drive with my 1947 Chev vacuum shift 6 cylinder when I was 14!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I learned to drive a stick shortly after getting my license in New Jersey on a 48 pick up. I forget whether it was a Ford or Chevy. It had no synchronized gears.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,450 Posts
I learned to drive a stick shortly after getting my license in New Jersey on a 48 pick up. I forget whether it was a Ford or Chevy. It had no synchronized gears.
Did it have a bench seat & that long shift rod that went to the floor? My dad bought an old Dodge truck like that, only 3 gears + compound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried to learn stick shifting when I was nineteen and married to my college sweetheart. He had a late sixties Chevelle. My mode of transportation was my feet, sometimes assisted by my crutches. I had loose kneecaps and rather weak thighs as a result. I could not slowly release his clutch to save my life. He had put in a racing clutch, so it was stiff to begin with, but my legs were just not able to deal with it. I got it rolling once without stalling, but it was in an icy, snow covered parking lot up at Michigan Tech, in the upper peninsula of Michigan. The wheels could spin while I struggled with the clutch! I never even got to the point of having to learn to shift.

For a couple of years prior to going off to college, I had been driving with my left leg, throwing my right over the hump (remember front seat humps, before consoles became ubiquitous?) because my right knee was so often out of commission. I could drive easily with either foot, until car manufacturers took that option away with their consoles.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
...Michigan Tech, in the upper peninsula of Michigan....
Believe that is where my brother went to study engineering, I'll have to ask him.

(remember front seat humps, before consoles became ubiquitous?) because my right knee was so often out of commission. I could drive easily with either foot, until car manufacturers took that option away with their consoles.
I wish cars didn't have center floor console. Few years ago in my previous car (Honda Accord) I was making a left-hand turn when a guy ran his red light and slammed into my driver's side door. It was quite difficult maneuvering over the center control and around the auto gear shift lever so that I could exit out the passenger side door.

My old F-150 had a floor mounted shifter (and no floor console) much like this
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Car

and so one good thing in its favor was the ability to easily cross from one side of the cab to the opposite side.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts