Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
That was gutsy celron! I chickened out & borrowed a friends automatic Rambler to take the test, even though my car was a 4 speed stick.

I wonder what makes driving a stick so hard for some people. My 2 siblings absolutely can't do it. My folks had no problem.

Seems like European drivers use them more. I'll even see emergency vehicles with sticks.
:)Practice makes almost perfect! Actually, back then we did some drag racing (burn rubber) on empty country roads. Shifting was part of the game! Can't say I miss shifting in heavy traffic today.;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will freely admit that I wouldn't have a stick shift as my primary driver. While I enjoy driving with a stick, if you are driving in heavy stop and go traffic, the stick shift gets really old fast! If I were to have a second "fun" car, it would probably b a stick shift.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
317 Posts
I will freely admit that I wouldn't have a stick shift as my primary driver. While I enjoy driving with a stick, if you are driving in heavy stop and go traffic, the stick shift gets really old fast! If I were to have a second "fun" car, it would probably b a stick shift.
People keep saying this, but I have NEVER been able to figure out why. You flip it into Neutral when not moving, foot on brake (less effort than when fighting an auto-box that is trying to go) and relax. When things move, you flip it into first, let the clutch out and idle forward.

Did I mention that I hate automatics? :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
People keep saying this, but I have NEVER been able to figure out why. You flip it into Neutral when not moving, foot on brake (less effort than when fighting an auto-box that is trying to go) and relax. When things move, you flip it into first, let the clutch out and idle forward.

:censored: Used to eat my burger between shifts (1st & 3rd)! Never at the stoplight! ;)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

I have only owned a few automatics in my life and the other 90% of my cars were manual, I also drove semi trucks with mainly 13 speeds non synchronized for 2 million miles. I miss my Audi TT but still have my summer Porsche Boxter with a manual but I hate to admit that I like my daily driver being an automatic. I test drove a few cars before I chose my Mazda but it was the only automatic that I didn't hate. It holds a gear on turns, especially onramps and it doesn't shift up to top gear when merged on the freeway till I cruise for about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. It's as if it is intuitive enough to go into sport mode without me hitting anything.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
City traffic is a buzz kill for a manual transmission. It's a bunch of extra effort for no return in joy. Why?

I understand though, it is great when you work that clutch just right off the line and shift perfectly.
When you get it not so right, you know you can do better, and it involves you like an auto trans does not. There is something to be said for having more control in your hands, not the computer as well. With the bike it is brap shift, brap shift, brap, check mirrors. Did those cars tiny cars in my mirrors clear the intersection yet? :ROFLMAO:

And to the dufus on the freeway with the Ferrari, hitting the gas then the brake because duh, traffic.
Take that thing to the mountains where it belongs. Get some driving lessons first. Getting the car does not give you F1 skills by osmosis!

/Rant :p

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
...I use a hand clutch on my bike often, but have not driven a stick shift car in a few years.
My brother has an old Indian with (original) suicide shifter.

Here's a video of an add-on kit

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
My brother has an old Indian with (original) suicide shifter.

Here's a video of an add-on kit

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Not my kind of bike but, interesting. Looks like a really long throw from one gear to the next.
Also I think the original used a foot clutch. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
.... And don't even get me started on women with cell phones.
How about a young woman (17, 18?) who is driving while putting on makeup, smoking a tobacco cigarette and chatting on her cell phone all at the same time?

These are things one observes while urban bicycle commuting.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
😁 Took my driver license test in my '64 Triumph TR4 (4 speed stick) ! Had my top down, ...
We used have a Triumph Spitfire when I was a little kid. It would sometimes backfire. Riding down the road with the top down, my mother driving, every time it backfired I'd pretend I was shooting a gun.

Even though no one in my family hunted, my mother - who'd been in the army when she was a teenager - kinda talked a lot about guns when I was a kid. When we went on (car) trips staying in a motels, she slept with a gun under her pillow.

Anyway, I failed that time! My parallel parking was too far from the curb!;)
My mother sent me to driving school cause she didn't want me to pick up her bad habits - one being she braked with her left foot. Once as a little kid I was in a car with an uncle driving and saw him using his right foot to operate both the gas pedal and the brake pedal - my mind was BLOWN!!!

When I go to take my driving test the sheriff didn't like that I was gonna take the test in the driving school car (mid-size 2-door) and not my mother's big land yacht. But apparently there was nothing he could do to prevent me.

The sheriff and I drove around downtown, down backalleys and such. I wasn't doing very well, for example applying the brakes way early when headed to a stop sign and then practically coasting the rest of the way there.

At one point we're driving on a one-way street past a line of parked cars and the sheriff tells me to (parallel) park in a space between two cars. I look at the space and then almost say to the sheriff "Do you really think this car will fit in that space?" But I didn't.

I performed perhaps the most perfect parallel parking maneuver every in the history of driving, certainly the best I had every done and have ever done since. Slight exaggeration, there was maybe an inch clearanance in front of each bumper.

The sheriff turns to me and says "You don't need to be on the road".

In an instant the reptillian portion of my brain tells me the sheriff is saying this on purpose, that he is (intentionally) trying to get me riled up. So I made a conscious choice and didn't say a thing. And so we sat there in silence. After awhile he wrote on the test and gave it to me. He scored me low, but passing low. He could have failed me and there would have been nothing to do but try again another time.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
...Seems like European drivers use them more. I'll even see emergency vehicles with sticks.
A co-worker had returned briefly to the US from living in Italy with her boyfriend who was temporarily assigned there. And she would be going back. When he was at work she couldn't go anywhere cause all the cars were manual transmission and she couldn't drive a manual.

So after work one day we went to an empty field I gave her a quick lesson in how to drive a stick.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not smoking a doobie? :ROFLMAO:
Most stoners KNOW they are incapable of multi-tasking, unlike our confident young heroic woman. One thing at a time....

On a serious note, if I was King for a day or better yet forever, I would ban ALL smoking and vaping in an automobile.

Our RCMP have been telling us for decades that distractions cause accidents. The data confirm what the Mounties and other police forces say in general. US auto insurance companies have charged higher premiums to tobacco smokers. (In Canada, in our generous wisdom, we have socialized the risk.) From what I have observed, smoking and vaping are big distractions.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I will freely admit that I wouldn't have a stick shift as my primary driver. While I enjoy driving with a stick, if you are driving in heavy stop and go traffic, the stick shift gets really old fast!...
I had a stick shift pickup truck. Extra annoying getting caught in rush hour highway traffic after work or in construction zones on the highway - traffic moving too fast for 1st gear but too slow for 2nd gear so I would constantly have to shift back and forth.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
...You flip it into Neutral when not moving, foot on brake (less effort than when fighting an auto-box that is trying to go) and relax. When things move, you flip it into first, ...
My previous car was an automatic (Accord) and I habitually did this very thing when stopped at intersections - I'd push the shifter forward out of drive into neutral so the car wasn't constantly trying to move forward. Then when the light turned green pop it back into drive.

I had this notion in my head that maybe it would cause less wear to the automatic transmission. Though on the flip side I did consider that perhaps the design engineers probably haven't designed the shifter to be operated forward and back that many times during usage of the car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Most stoners KNOW they are incapable of multi-tasking, unlike our confident young heroic woman. One thing at a time....

On a serious note, if I was King for a day or better yet forever, I would ban ALL smoking and vaping in an automobile.

Our RCMP have been telling us for decades that distractions cause accidents. The data confirm what the Mounties and other police forces say in general. US auto insurance companies have charged higher premiums to tobacco smokers. (In Canada, in our generous wisdom, we have socialized the risk.) From what I have observed, smoking and vaping are big distractions.
Yes, but have you seen the movie screen sized laptop on the dash in the Tesla? You can barely see out past the thing!o_O
All the newer cars have way too many digital distractions to be sane and safe! :unsure:

21 - 40 of 77 Posts