Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never really worried about the dealer over filling the oil when I had my vehicle serviced. As long as I had a manufacture warranty and a service receipt from that dealer, that met the warranty requirements, I really didn't care.

However I read that the oil fill for my '21 Soul w/2.0L MPI engine is 4.23 quarts. I had my first oil change the end of May and noticed, on the receipt, it states 5 quarts oil. I checked the oil level on the dip stick and sure enough it was past the full mark. So for S&G's I syphoned off some oil through the dip stick tube. I pulled off around 12oz of oil to get the level right at the top of the 'F' mark on the dip stick. Owners Manual states do not over fill. All oil levels were checked after the vehicle had sat for at least 24 hours on a level surface.

Thoughts on the dealer overfilling the oil?

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Share some words with them...
It might just just be a 'no big deal' so I did not want to piss off anyone at the dealer for a non issue. Normally I like to use the purchased from dealer for all of the dealer/warranty work, so did not want to create any 'bad blood'. So for this vehicle unless KIA extends the warranty for some reason, it will be at least a twice a year 10 year relationship!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I never really worried about the dealer over filling the oil when I had my vehicle serviced. As long as I had a manufacture warranty and a service receipt from that dealer, that met the warranty requirements, I really didn't care.

However I read that the oil fill for my '21 Soul w/2.0L MPI engine is 4.23 quarts. I had my first oil change the end of May and noticed, on the receipt, it states 5 quarts oil. I checked the oil level on the dip stick and sure enough it was past the full mark. So for S&G's I syphoned off some oil through the dip stick tube. I pulled of around 12oz of oil to get the level right at the top of the 'F' mark on the dip stick. Owners Manual states do not over fill. All oil levels were checked after the vehicle had sat for at least 24 hours on a level surface.

Never drive away from the Dealership or any Oil Change Shop, without checking the dipstick level and looking underneath the vehicle for leaks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So for some quick math 4.23 quarts of oil is about 136 ounces (rounded up). Five quarts of oil is 160 ounces. So a fill of 5 quarts of oil is about 18% over fill for a '20-21 2.0L MPI engine. Even with 12 ounces syphoned off it appears I'm still about 9% over the suggested fill specification.

So what happens if I have to much oil in these aluminum/alloy Kia engines? And how much oil is too much?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overfilling the engine with oil can have serious negative consequences. You were right to reduce the oil to the correct level. It would also be a good thing to address this with the Service Manager or Service Advisor at your dealership. A tactful, non-accusatory approach would be best.

Here is some general information about what may happen with an overfilled crankcase:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If I check the dipstick in my car, after an oil change, the level is always about 1/8" above the full mark.
I've never tried draining off the extra oil. Maybe I should talk to my service writer about that. Eh? Or not?

:cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got my oil changed at the Kia dealership ONCE and they overfilled it by about 1/2" on the dipstick! I was furious. This was on my Stinger! I brought it back in and they corrected it, but WTF??? After that happened I actually printed a label with the correct fill amount in quarts and stuck it on the Stingers stabilizer bar. I'll do the same with my new Stinger - once I get it, that is. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If I check the dipstick in my car, after an oil change, the level is always about 1/8" above the full mark.
I've never tried draining off the extra oil. Maybe I should talk to my service writer about that. Eh? Or not?

:cool:
I'm curious......
Check your oil after the vehicle has been sitting for 24 hours on a flat surface. I'm wondering if there is a difference.

Before I had the oil changed on mine I've noticed, after an hour or so, after being driven, the level was just below the full mark at the beginning of the first row of dots. As shown in the posted picture. But checking 24 hours later, car not moved or started it was back up to the full mark. So I guess more oil had collected in the pan after that time.

I'm just wondering if the extra pint is worth making a fuss about, on the KIA. I usually pop the hood and do a quick check once I get home. The Kia dealer is not far from me. Hell when I bought the car the coolant cap was open and not snapped shut. I found this when I was inspecting it at delivery.

On my '02 F-250 FX4 w/5.4 Triton V8, it takes 5.5 Quarts. I've got a Kwik Kar near me that I trust for that vehicle. I watch them put six quarts in it and its usually just at the full mark, maybe a tad bit more, on that vehicle. That vehicle is 19 years old, has 58K on it, and the oil level never moves. That Kwik Kar shop has been doing the fluid changes after my 7 Year 70K warranty ran out on the Ford.

·
Registered
607 Posts
@Mjc312,

Since you are spending so much time and effort observing the oil change process, why not simply save some money, reduce uncertainty and perform the oil change yourself?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Mjc312,

Since you are spending so much time and effort observing the oil change process, why not simply save some money, reduce uncertainty and perform the oil change yourself?
I want the service receipts from the dealer to support my 10/100K warranty. Bla Bla Bla yeah I could do it myself and keep receipts for the parts used. My preference I choose to support our economy. Besides I'd get dirty.o_O

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
roflmao!!!
Getting Dirty! I always loved that part. Made me feel like I'd really done something important. Every man needs a little grease under his fingernails once in a while.

For six years, I changed my own oil and filter, on my 2013 Soul, and I bought all my KIA Genuine Oil Filters from my dealer, and I kept the receipts and entered the transaction on my Excel Spreadsheet. My dealer's Service Manager assured me that I was in good shape.

Now, on my 2020 Soul, I'm letting my dealer do all my Oil Changes and Maintenance Inspections, every 3k. And, I keep all the Service Receipts, that tells exactly what was done. They report on tire tread depth, brake pad thickness, etc. It's a more thorough inspection than I would be able to do at home, with my car sitting on the ground. They also rotate my tires, every 6K miles.

At 78 I might be able to do all that for myself, but I just don't want to, anymore. Getting Old Timer's Disease, I guess, otherwise, just getting Lazy! I'm pretty sure, that at least one person on this forum knows what I'm talking about. EH?
One thing for certain,,,,, none of us are getting any younger.

Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
321 Posts
The owner‘s manual on my 2020 says to have the engine at operating temperature having run it for at least 5 minutes. The have the car on a level surface and wait for five minutes before checking the oil. I did a test once. In the morNing one Saturday I checked the oil level. It was slightly over filled, about 1/8 inch. I then had to run some errands so when I got home, I turned the Soul off. Set the timer for 5 minutes and then checked the oil. It was spot on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The owner‘s manual on my 2020 says to have the engine at operating temperature having run it for at least 5 minutes. The have the car on a level surface and wait for five minutes before checking the oil. I did a test once. In the morNing one Saturday I checked the oil level. It was slightly over filled, about 1/8 inch. I then had to run some errands so when I got home, I turned the Soul off. Set the timer for 5 minutes and then checked the oil. It was spot on.
Thanks, I'll try that. For almost 50 years I've been checking oil levels when the engine is cold!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I want the service receipts from the dealer to support my 10/100K warranty. Bla Bla Bla yeah I could do it myself and keep receipts for the parts used. My preference I choose to support our economy. Besides I'd get dirty.o_O
LOL! Good one!

There are lots of different ways to support your economy. That and there is nothing wrong with saving a cash pile for a rainy day or an unforeseen emergency.

In terms of what you save doing it yourself, you could afford to pour expensive extended performance motor oil in your engine such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Oil, which, in passing, is made from good ol' US natural gas feed stock.

You could also afford to 'rinse' your engine with fresh synthetic oil before refilling. I manage to get a bunch more old oil out when I do that.

I also appreciate the exercise one gets from crawling and sliding under the vehicle though, understandably, many would rather avoid that.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL! Good one!

There are lots of different ways to support your economy. That and there is nothing wrong with saving a cash pile for a rainy day or an unforeseen emergency.

In terms of what you save doing it yourself, you could afford to pour expensive extended performance motor oil in your engine such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Oil, which, in passing, is made from good ol' US natural gas feed stock.

You could also afford to 'rinse' your engine with fresh synthetic oil before refilling. I manage to get a bunch more old oil out when I do that.

I also appreciate the exercise one gets from crawling and sliding under the vehicle though, understandably, many would rather avoid that.
I've always been a trust but verify guy, so there's that. (Retired Senior Systems Test RF Engineer)

I used to be the fixer/builder of all things when I was younger, but with hard work and smart investing I'm now retired (@53 I'm now 57). It's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Oil changed and service as per manufacturer specifications is all that should be needed to keep these vehicles operating for a long time. But when things break there is the warranty contract. I'm a firm believer in documentation.

Now I will do simple stuff like air/cabin filters and wiper blades, to save a bit of $$ while I'm verifying! That little bit of work does not get me too dirty...........:)

·
Registered
7 Posts

However I read that the oil fill for my '21 Soul w/2.0L MPI engine is 4.23 quarts. I had my first oil change the end of May and noticed, on the receipt, it states 5 quarts oil. I checked the oil level on the dip stick and sure enough it was past the full mark. So for S&G's I syphoned off some oil through the dip stick tube. I pulled off around 12oz of oil to get the level right at the top of the 'F' mark on the dip stick. Owners Manual states do not over fill. All oil levels were checked after the vehicle had sat for at least 24 hours on a level surface.

Makes sense since they are replacing so many engine’s that blow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm going to let the dealer do my Stinger oil changes because I think they are offering free maintenance for 3 years. :) Heck yeah! I will be checking the levels though.

On the oil level check issue - I've noticed on my Hondas, sometimes they will show low oil on the dipstick - I can drive shortly and park it and it shows correct level... weird. Like oil is staying up in the valve cover area or something. This has happened on each of my 4 Hondas more than once each.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts