Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car just over a year ago now. At the time the dealer went on about their 1 year "free" oil changes and talked about buying an additional 2 years for only $149. So here I am one year later and the dealer is now saying.. well basically no more oil changes for "Free" lol!

To the dealer... one year means 12 months not an actual calendar year and oil changes per year means only 3 not the standard 4 per 12 months so not an actual one years worth of oil changes just 3 per 12 months. I suppose that's ok they have to limit these offers I'm sure. They are also saying 3 years means 20,000 miles lol! That's the bit I can't get. Can you believe it, of course you can... dealers are lying scumbags. So what they are saying is that $149 paid for 3 years can't be used but I still paid it. Unless I'm badly mistaken isn't that fraudulent? There's no way will I get another "Free" oil change before I hit 20,000. I'm just kind of shocked I missed the fine print about the 3 oil changes per 12 months but thats ok I'll accept they caught me there. However nowhere in that fine print does it state anything about their being a mileage limit on the "free oil changes". Just now has this mileage limit popped up.

So if leave things as is I'll lose $149 and accept that the dealer essentially conned me out of $50 per oil change for the first year, at least the first 3 oil changes. If I fight it what would I get... a denial, an apology maybe a "free" oil change? Think I'll demand my $149 back.. maybe that'll get some people at the dealership laughing lol

·
Registered
928 Posts
When you go in to try getting your money back, be sure to let them know that you'll be posting the result on here and any other social media site you can think of. Might just give them a bit more of a push to return your money. And be sure to keep us updated as to what happens. Incidentally, you do know that oil changes are supposed to be done every 7500 miles, right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get regular oil changes done at 3,000. I'm probably going to switch to synthetic which was my plan after the "free" oil changes ended. Before posting their name and shaming them I left them a nice message asking if there was a "mistake" on their end in regards to the oil changes. I'm going to be optimistic and give them a day or so to respond and correct the issue. I fully understand they have to have restrictions and I'm aware now it's only 3 oil changes per year but I do intend to get what I paid for in the time period it was promised.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ever hear the old saying, "there's no such thing as a free lunch" ???

Yes, I got that "FREE oil changes for one year" thing too. Then I read the Dealer Supplied Options sheet, and there it was, "One Year (free) Maintenance" along with window tint, floor mats, etc, etc, etc.!! I paid for every bit of that, to the tune of $1999.00. WAY OVER PRICED!

Then it wasn't really one full year either. For me it was only nine months. Yup, just three oil changes, one every three months, which conforms to the schedule in the owners manual. The dealers will always go by the "Severe Usage" maintenance schedule. But hey......that's OK. That's the schedule I adhere to anyway, so it's no big deal. I really couldn't wait for them to stop messing around with my car, so I can start taking care of it myself.
Even at 69 years old, with a bad back, I can still do a better job myself!
Because, unlike a garage mechanic (grease monkey) I have a vested interest in this car and I'll give it the TLC is deserves.

On their first oil change, they left oil dripping from the bottom of the filter and a nearby frame. I was glad to discover it was just shoddy workmanship and there were NO leaks.
On the second oil change, they totally missed the two Broken bumper brackets, not even a foot away from the oil filter. So much for their Bumper to Bumper inspection. :rolleyes:

All that and I've actually got one of the better car dealers around here. Everyone there has been really nice and cordial to me.

If I buy another new Kia, I'll go back to the same dealer, but, I'll tell them I don't want to pay extra for their "Dealer Supplied Options".
I bought the Base model car and then paid $2k extra for "Options". Cheeeech!

And the dealer supplied options didn't even include a spare tire, which for me is a MUST HAVE. So I bought one, from the parts manager, for $98, balanced, aired up and put in the back of my car. It's exactly the same wheel and tire that's already on my car, so having to use it, won't throw the car out of balance.

Cheers mates!
Tm :cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
They are also saying 3 years means 20,000 miles lol! That's the bit I can't get. Can you believe it, of course you can... dealers are lying scumbags. So what they are saying is that $149 paid for 3 years can't be used but I still paid it. Unless I'm badly mistaken isn't that fraudulent? There's no way will I get another "Free" oil change before I hit 20,000. I'm just kind of shocked I missed the fine print about the 3 oil changes per 12 months but thats ok I'll accept they caught me there. However nowhere in that fine print does it state anything about their being a mileage limit on the "free oil changes". Just now has this mileage limit popped up.
please rephrase - the problems you have with your dealer does not apply to all of them, they are not all the same. My dealer is great and get my vehicle service there all the time. I have the lifetime free filter and oil change, with a maximum of 3 per year. I just go in once every 6 months for mine. I'll have to get out the paper in this regard but I don't think any mileage was specified, but its only provided by my dealer. They have since stopped this promotion, they have the right to cancel at anytime (says that on the sheet I got) they were going to stop the ones that had already had it, but changed there mind and all customers that received it will continue to get it as long as they still own that vehicle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
please rephrase - the problems you have with your dealer does not apply to all of them, they are not all the same. My dealer is great and get my vehicle service there all the time. I have the lifetime free filter and oil change, with a maximum of 3 per year. I just go in once every 6 months for mine. I'll have to get out the paper in this regard but I don't think any mileage was specified, but its only provided by my dealer. They have since stopped this promotion, they have the right to cancel at anytime (says that on the sheet I got) they were going to stop the ones that had already had it, but changed there mind and all customers that received it will continue to get it as long as they still own that vehicle.
Rephrase? not a change! I've yet to have any dealings with a car dealer that wasn't lying our their arsehole. It's a fact of life, dealers lie, politicians lie, lawyers lie, the TV lies. Yes, your dealer is great that's your opinion but I tend not to be so sheepish around wolves. Unless I'm mistaken regular oil changes (please correct if I'm wrong here) the recommended is what 3,500 or 3,750? Or every 3 months for regular oil changes. I do my oil changes by the book if I hit 3,000 or 3 months on regular oil I have it changed just in case anything ever happened and I needed to use the warranty. Everything is done by the book, logged and recorded.

Are you sure your dealership just changed their minds out of the goodness of their hearts and it wasn't an upset customer set their blood sucking lawyers on them. I personally tend to be very cautious around car dealers and believe nothing of what they have to say unless there is some facts to back it up.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Rephrase? not a change! I've yet to have any dealings with a car dealer that wasn't lying our their arsehole. It's a fact of life, dealers lie, politicians lie, lawyers lie, the TV lies. Yes, your dealer is great that's your opinion but I tend not to be so sheepish around wolves. Unless I'm mistaken regular oil changes (please correct if I'm wrong here) the recommended is what 3,500 or 3,750? Or every 3 months for regular oil changes. I do my oil changes by the book if I hit 3,000 or 3 months on regular oil I have it changed just in case anything ever happened and I needed to use the warranty. Everything is done by the book, logged and recorded.

Are you sure your dealership just changed their minds out of the goodness of their hearts and it wasn't an upset customer set their blood sucking lawyers on them. I personally tend to be very cautious around car dealers and believe nothing of what they have to say unless there is some facts to back it up.
boy you are hostile - I think you need to take another Guinness :D, I always give people the benefit of the doubt till I find out otherwise. You could be right about the dealer changing his mind, but as I said it did clearly state "that they had the right to cancel the program at any time", so they were not trying to hide anything and perfectly within there rights to do so.
I have been dealing with my local dealer for over 5 years and two Kia's and not encountered any problems or deceptions. They have treated me well, I know most of the people there and as long as they do so, they will continue to get my patronage.

Why do you need correcting on your oil changes, just look in the back of your owners manual for the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
boy you are hostile - I think you need to take another Guinness :D, I always give people the benefit of the doubt till I find out otherwise. You could be right about the dealer changing his mind, but as I said it did clearly state "that they had the right to cancel the program at any time", so they were not trying to hide anything and perfectly within there rights to do so.
I have been dealing with my local dealer for over 5 years and two Kia's and not encountered any problems or deceptions. They have treated me well, I know most of the people there and as long as they do so, they will continue to get my patronage.

Why do you need correcting on your oil changes, just look in the back of your owners manual for the maintenance schedule.

I'm not being hostile, no hostility was intended this is just a discussion and I appreciate your input. Your in a different country therefore some wires have to be getting crossed here as to what is done there vs here. I'm just being honest and giving my opinion based on experience. Yes I too give "people" the benefit of the doubt but a car dealership are not people, it's an organisation! An organisation designed from the top down to separate you and I from our hard earned cash by all and any legal means available. Your dealer may have stated they could change their mind. The point with mine is they never made such a statement to that effect in anything I signed with them therefore they should be held or at least attempted to be held to their end of the deal.

What has happened in my case, the sales person sold one thing free oil changes for a year and $149 to extend it for 2 more years, the small print mostly said the same but not exactly and now a year later they are trying to change the rules to cut out those oil changes that I paid for. Ok it's only $149 but it's my $149 that I've worked for why should I roll over and just give it up? That's the sticking point here is I've paid for a service they appear to attempting to deny me. If it were "free" from the start then I've nothing lost and nothing to complain about I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
After you've been buying cars for many, many years, and gain more experience you will know never to buy anything 'extra' at the dealer. Many, great deals go to hell in a hand basket in the finance manager's office when they start telling you all the things you can get for just a few bucks more each month added to your payment. They are trained to do this and get as much money from you as they can when you are signing the papers. Don't take anything, because in 95% of the cases it's either a worthless scam or you can get it cheaper later if you must have it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Almost every time I've seen a "free (fill in the blank) for a year", there has always been limitations. My sister -in - law won "free gas for a year" on a radio station or some such. She received a coupon book that I believe had a fixed dollar amount per week. Does anyone really think that it'd be an open ended amount for an entire year? For the majority of people, the amount given was enough gas or a year but not for a traveling businessman who puts on 50,000 miles a year. My hearing aids came with free batteries for 3 years. It was a fixed amount of batteries that I ended up using up not too long before the 3 years was up. It was enough free batteries for most people.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The F&I guy tried to sell me a package like that and I didn't bite, I know better. I did get my first 2 oil changes free, however.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
I'm going to be following the 3,000-3,500 mile O&F schedule for a while.

I went in at 3,000 or so and was surprised when there was no bill. Service guy said I get three free O&Fs with the purchase of the car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Simple....:cool:
I'm following the "Severe" maintenance schedule which suggests oil changes every 3,750 miles. I'd rather not punish this car on regular oil every 7,500 miles with the amount of dust, humidity and at times the amount of idling in traffic it does.

Did even half the people that posted on this page read anything on the first page or just come in here hit like.. and quote random $hite they seem to think they should agree with.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After you've been buying cars for many, many years, and gain more experience you will know never to buy anything 'extra' at the dealer. Many, great deals go to hell in a hand basket in the finance manager's office when they start telling you all the things you can get for just a few bucks more each month added to your payment. They are trained to do this and get as much money from you as they can when you are signing the papers. Don't take anything, because in 95% of the cases it's either a worthless scam or you can get it cheaper later if you must have it.
Do you think I'm thick or something? Did you read ANYTHING I posted? I simply want to get what I paid for, nothing more nothing less. It's that simple.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost every time I've seen a "free (fill in the blank) for a year", there has always been limitations. My sister -in - law won "free gas for a year" on a radio station or some such. She received a coupon book that I believe had a fixed dollar amount per week. Does anyone really think that it'd be an open ended amount for an entire year? For the majority of people, the amount given was enough gas or a year but not for a traveling businessman who puts on 50,000 miles a year. My hearing aids came with free batteries for 3 years. It was a fixed amount of batteries that I ended up using up not too long before the 3 years was up. It was enough free batteries for most people.
You read nothing of what was on the first page did you? I know there were limitations 3 per year. What I'm saying is I'm supposed to have "3 years" of oil changes but they've imposed a limit of 20,000 miles lol that's the issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts