Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT Line Turbo, Neptune Blue
41 Posts
...my battery was almost 7 years old, but I only have 58K miles on my Soul.
7 years!?!? Down here in Central Florida, in the heat and humidity, you're pretty lucky to have a battery last four years. I usually end up having to replace them about every three years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a car for almost 5 years and what I can tell from my experience is that choosing a dealer for getting your car battery replaced is better. Dealers you see, have the expertise in working with car batteries. For instance, the cabinet battery in your car may be unreachable or difficult to access. Certified dealers will cause no damage to the other parts in the engine bay while replacing the battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have owned a car for almost 5 years and what I can tell from my experience is that choosing a dealer for getting your car battery replaced is better. Dealers you see, have the expertise in working with car batteries. For instance, the cabinet battery in your car may be unreachable or difficult to access. Certified dealers will cause no damage to the other parts in the engine bay while replacing the battery.
I am not mechanically inclined; wouldn't dream of trying to do a break job or something like that. However, replacing the battery in my 2013 Soul was NOT difficult. Once I watched the video a few times, I knew exactly to do, (and what to be careful of) and simply took my time. Frankly, my biggest fear was that I would accidentally drop one of the 3 bolts down into the engine compartment and not be able to find it again, lol. The service manager at the dealership where my wife and I bought our Souls back in 2013 actually agreed with me when I told him I couldn't justify paying over $170 for them to replace my battery when I could buy an even BETTER battery for less than $100 and install it myself. Sounds as though your dealer has some pretty good Kool-Aide in their waiting room . . .

·
Registered
686 Posts
The hardest part of changing a car battery tends to be lifting the heavy thing out.

Spoke to soon a couple months ago. The gennie battery came up dead. Showed 13+ volts until I pushed the start button, then it dropped right down to less than 1. Order a motorcycle battery for it from Waldo, and it arrived jammed into one of those small flat rate envelopes from USPS. Showed 11.2 volts out of the package, but 14.1 after a good charge. It is an Upstart battery which claims to get their batteries from the same factories as the big brands.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For most people swapping out a battery is child's play... but there is a risk of damage to you and your car if not done properly. If you don't feel comfortable, then let an experienced person do it for you. The dealership will charge you more for the battery and installation that most other places such as an auto parts store. The current (amps) that a battery can put out can melt a wrench. The voltage across the terminals is harmless to touch with your hands though. Your body has enough resistance that it wont shock you. Now touch both terminals with a low resistance metal - and it will heat up red hot and melt, think arc welding...

Be safe out there.

Reactions: Buzz
41 - 45 of 45 Posts