Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put an Interstate in mine. There is a fair amount of leeway in the mounting brackets. Honestly very easy to do yourself. The Interstate was smaller than the OEM, 100 more CCA. Great battery. I doubt you'll ever use the warranty whether 2 or 3 years.
I have a 2013 1.6 MT with 58,585 miles on it. Went in for one of my (lifetime) free oil changes today. They said my battery was showing 210 CC amps of the original 500 CC, and offered to put one in while I was there for $159.

I decided to wait on their recommendation, and stopped at a few auto parts stores on the way home. The AutoZone guy came out and tested my battery (which as he pointed out, only lists 410 CC amps, NOT the 500 my dealer said it had. His test showed me at 290 of the 410 I was supposed to have. He also thought the $159 was a good price.

When I did a search for Kia Soul Batteries, an old thread from this forum was part of the results. There, I read all about the minor differences in size between the EverStart Maxx 121R vs. the 124R. Some saying the 124R was a better fit, etc.

I figured I would opt for letting my dealer sell me a battery (after all, it has now been nearly 7 years of free oil changes), but when I called the dealership back, I discovered that the battery they use is made by Interstate, but that it only had a 2 year warranty.

So after hearing that, I figured maybe I should just go to Walmart and pick up the Everstart Maxx for $119.76 . . . since that battery comes with a 3 year over the counter replacement. I know it would be convenient to have my Kia guys install it, but I think it is something I can do in 20 minutes. (The Walmart Automotive bays are closed here in Ohio.)

Am I missing something here??
I owned and operated an independent automotive parts store from 1982 to 1996. Having stocked and sold many brands of batteries. To me, Interstate batteries are by far, the finest battery made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never replace a battery before it dies and I keep jumpers in the trunk. Just replaced the one on my 2014 Accord with a Costco Interstate. I think it cost $80 with the core return. Two years ago the Honda mechanic said I needed a new one. What do expect they want to sell you stuff. When the mechanic said I needed a battery I asked if he replaced his car battery before it gave out and he laughed and said no.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just looked on their website and Costco has the battery I need for $99.99 . . . So my question is, do they install it? If not, no biggie, but will they take my old battery to be recycled?
They wont install it but I usually just bring a socket set with me - most likely a 10mm socket or wrench will do.
Change it right there in the parking lot and bring the core right back.
I've done this about a dozen times.

Reactions: GeoSoul and eGAK009

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,580 Posts
I never replace a battery before it dies and I keep jumpers in the trunk. Just replaced the one on my 2014 Accord with a Costco Interstate. I think it cost $80 with the core return. Two years ago the Honda mechanic said I needed a new one. What do expect they want to sell you stuff. When the mechanic said I needed a battery I asked if he replaced his car battery before it gave out and he laughed and said no.
I bought one of those little jumpers at Costco for about $50 a few years ago.

Also charges cell phones and other stuff like that. I've used it two or three times no problemo. Came in a handy carrier about 6" x 10" x 3". I keep it in the car of course. It holds a charge for a long long time.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2017 Kia Soul
4 Posts
I have a 2013 1.6L. I had to replace the battery about 5 months ago. I got a Walmart battery; they are made either by Exide (headquarted in Milton Ga) or Delphi (headquartered in Dublin Ireland and soon to be bought by Johnson Controls). It was easy and I spent about $120. Walmart Battery Finder. It took about 20 minutes. Would suggest watching a Youtube video.
Where most cars have a metal strap across the top holding the battery down, the Soul has a couple of bolts at the back of the battery holding battery in as well as a bolt holding car's computer that needs to be removed. Pretty easy once you watch the video.
That's one dirty engine

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are only two or three battery manufacturers in the USA. They just put different labels on them. I always try to make sure I meet or exceed the CCA, Amps, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2013 1.6 MT with 58,585 miles on it. Went in for one of my (lifetime) free oil changes today. They said my battery was showing 210 CC amps of the original 500 CC, and offered to put one in while I was there for $159.

I decided to wait on their recommendation, and stopped at a few auto parts stores on the way home. The AutoZone guy came out and tested my battery (which as he pointed out, only lists 410 CC amps, NOT the 500 my dealer said it had. His test showed me at 290 of the 410 I was supposed to have. He also thought the $159 was a good price.

When I did a search for Kia Soul Batteries, an old thread from this forum was part of the results. There, I read all about the minor differences in size between the EverStart Maxx 121R vs. the 124R. Some saying the 124R was a better fit, etc.

I figured I would opt for letting my dealer sell me a battery (after all, it has now been nearly 7 years of free oil changes), but when I called the dealership back, I discovered that the battery they use is made by Interstate, but that it only had a 2 year warranty.

So after hearing that, I figured maybe I should just go to Walmart and pick up the Everstart Maxx for $119.76 . . . since that battery comes with a 3 year over the counter replacement. I know it would be convenient to have my Kia guys install it, but I think it is something I can do in 20 minutes. (The Walmart Automotive bays are closed here in Ohio.)

Am I missing something here??
First off I would NEVER trust a Walmart battery. every time I delt with walMart the battery died a few months after warranty. Second my local Dealer told me the same crap about my battery. Not topping off on the charge. bull just triing to sell me a battery.... Be careful Soul owners most of these batteries in these soul cars are not covered under warranty

·
Registered
207 Posts
Almost 270,000 miles and I'm on my 3rd battery. The oem died completely, replaced with an ever start, then when that started dying, I swapped it for another everstart.

My wife's 2012 optima just got its 2nd everstart Tuesday.

I dont see any reason to go to another brand, the price is good and with 7 Walmarts withing 30 minutes, I have no problem finding my size.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,963 Posts

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Well after 3 weeks of not starting the Soul (& 15 hrs of playing the radio...don't judge!) it would not start. It cranked a little. Tester showed SOH: 9% & SOC: 0%. Volts: 11.67

This gave me a chance to use the Supercapictor jump starter I keep in the boot space. Batteryless unit uses the remaining power from the dead battery (their not really dead, just too weak to turn over the engine).

Easy, hook red to red, black to black. Push button. Took about 4 mins for Supercapictor to reach 14 volts. Soul started right up. Whew.

Reactions: pnoman and eGAK009

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well after 3 weeks of not starting the Soul (& 15 hrs of playing the radio...don't judge!) it would not start. It cranked a little. Tester showed SOH: 9% & SOC: 0%. Volts: 11.67
Well, it didn't go dead from being dirty. That's one clean engine compartment you got there! My '20 LX has only 4,500 miles and is nowhere near that clean.

·
Registered
681 Posts

This gave me a chance to use the Supercapictor jump starter I keep in the boot space. Batteryless unit uses the remaining power from the dead battery (their not really dead, just too weak to turn over the engine).

Easy, hook red to red, black to black. Push button. Took about 4 mins for Supercapictor to reach 14 volts. Soul started right up. Whew.
That's a different approach. A capacitor not a battery. What if the battery is shorted internally?
It could happen, Judy Tenuda! :p

I have a Bolt power pack battery which can charge your devices, and jump start a car multiple times on 1 charge.
Beats old school jumper cables, I don't have to find someone to give me a jump.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
That's a different approach. A capacitor not a battery. What if the battery is shorted internally?
It could happen, Judy Tenuda! :p

I have a Bolt power pack battery which can charge your devices, and jump start a car multiple times on 1 charge.
Beats old school jumper cables, I don't have to find someone to give me a jump.
I agree Monster, it's nice not having to find someone to give you a jump. Especially if you're out in the sticks or in the middle of a pandemic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put a Walmart battery in mine. I know folks say I should get this battery or that battery, but whatever. The Walmart battery works just fine. If you can go more than two years with any car battery you are doing fine and are on borrowed time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put an Interstate in mine. There is a fair amount of leeway in the mounting brackets. Honestly very easy to do yourself. The Interstate was smaller than the OEM, 100 more CCA. Great battery. I doubt you'll ever use the warranty whether 2 or 3 years.
We also need to replace battery in 2014 Soul. Can you provide the Interstate model battery you bought from Costco? Thank you!

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
We also need to replace battery in 2014 Soul. Can you provide the Interstate model battery you bought from Costco? Thank you!
No problem GJB. This is from the receipt at Costco.

Item # 1130801

Interstate Battery 65-121R
Fitment #39

$95.99

·
Registered
156 Posts
Then I am on borrowed time more often than not. I am looking at more like 5-6 years.
Car or Moto. Also the generator. Moto and Gennie get hooked up to battery maintainers to help their longevity.
Great! Be thankful! “The code is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.” – Hector Barbossa

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think it's the 121R Andre.
Costco | Interstate Batteries

It's actually the same one I put in my 2014.
I actually went over to COSTCO this past Tuesday and picked up that 121R . . . Cost me $99 plus tax plus a $15 core fee. The video that was posted here was extremely helpful. I took my time, even soaked the bolts in some WD-40 while I had them out. Took me about 40 minutes from start to finish. My KIA dealer wanted $159 plus tax (which would have brought me to $170.92), for their Interstate battery with a 2 year warranty. Costco's warranty is 3 years. For what it's worth, my battery was almost 7 years old, but I only have 58K miles on my Soul.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
I actually went over to COSTCO this past Tuesday and picked up that 121R . . . Cost me $99 plus tax plus a $15 core fee. The video that was posted here was extremely helpful. I took my time, even soaked the bolts in some WD-40 while I had them out. Took me about 40 minutes from start to finish. My KIA dealer wanted $159 plus tax (which would have brought me to $170.92), for their Interstate battery with a 2 year warranty. Costco's warranty is 3 years. For what it's worth, my battery was almost 7 years old, but I only have 58K miles on my Soul.
Thanks for the feedback Andre. Man, 7 years was pretty dang good for your previous battery. 40 minutes isn't bad from start to finish, plus you know the job was done right. Gen 2 is a little easier, just one bolt in front of battery and it's out.

Congrats on your new battery.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts