Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2013 1.6 MT with 58,585 miles on it. Went in for one of my (lifetime) free oil changes today. They said my battery was showing 210 CC amps of the original 500 CC, and offered to put one in while I was there for $159.

I decided to wait on their recommendation, and stopped at a few auto parts stores on the way home. The AutoZone guy came out and tested my battery (which as he pointed out, only lists 410 CC amps, NOT the 500 my dealer said it had. His test showed me at 290 of the 410 I was supposed to have. He also thought the $159 was a good price.

When I did a search for Kia Soul Batteries, an old thread from this forum was part of the results. There, I read all about the minor differences in size between the EverStart Maxx 121R vs. the 124R. Some saying the 124R was a better fit, etc.

I figured I would opt for letting my dealer sell me a battery (after all, it has now been nearly 7 years of free oil changes), but when I called the dealership back, I discovered that the battery they use is made by Interstate, but that it only had a 2 year warranty.

So after hearing that, I figured maybe I should just go to Walmart and pick up the Everstart Maxx for $119.76 . . . since that battery comes with a 3 year over the counter replacement. I know it would be convenient to have my Kia guys install it, but I think it is something I can do in 20 minutes. (The Walmart Automotive bays are closed here in Ohio.)

Am I missing something here??

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,563 Posts
I just replaced the 8+ year old Walmart battery in my wife's PT. It probably would have lasted longer but I let the car sit too long while she was out of town for an extended period.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Not sure which size works best for your particular application, but I had a few of the EverStart Maxx batteries from WalMart and never had a problem. I was stationed in Alaska for 7 years and had one in one of our cars up there and it always started, even at -20F (actual - not wind chill). Consumer Reports gave them good ratings, and so do I.

And, if you ever have a problem, you're never much more than an hour from a WalMart (even in Death Valley).

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
557 Posts
"Am I missing something here??"
Getting rid of the old battery?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure which size works best for your particular application, but I had a few of the EverStart Maxx batteries from WalMart and never had a problem. I was stationed in Alaska for 7 years and had one in one of our cars up there and it always started, even at -20F (actual - not wind chill). Consumer Reports gave them good ratings, and so do I.

And, if you ever have a problem, you're never much more than an hour from a WalMart (even in Death Valley).
I have no problem buying that brand battery. I am hoping someone here (with a 2013 MT 1.6) has replaced their battery and dealt with the size difference in the battery box. Apparently the 2.0L engines have a slightly larger battery box. Not sure if that is even an issue with my 2013 though . . . Thanks for the assurance on the battery itself though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just replaced the 8+ year old Walmart battery in my wife's PT. It probably would have lasted longer but I let the car sit too long while she was out of town for an extended period.
No, I understand I would have to return it to Walmart and get my "core charge" refunded once I give them back the old battery.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,761 Posts
I put an Interstate in mine. There is a fair amount of leeway in the mounting brackets. Honestly very easy to do yourself. The Interstate was smaller than the OEM, 100 more CCA. Great battery. I doubt you'll ever use the warranty whether 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
We had a long discussion about replacement batteries some time ago. It was reported that a Walmart battery would fit and cost a lot less than a KIA Replacement. A SEARCH should turn up that conversation.

I went to buy the suggested replacement at my local Walmart Auto Center. The clerk there gave me a ration of BS, about my choice not being the recommended battery for my car. She said if I bought that battery, they would not warranty it. Can you imagine where I told her she could stick her warranty?
In short time, I bought that battery at way less than $100, installed it myself and it fit pretty good.
It worked just fine for a year or so till I traded off my 2013 Soul.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Costco sells Interstate batteries and they are excellent. Might cost a bit more, but batteries are something you shouldn't scrimp on.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Costco sells Interstate batteries and they are excellent. Might cost a bit more, but batteries are something you shouldn't scrimp on.
That's where I got my Interstate. $98.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 2017 soul and after within a year, they said the battery needed to be replaced. I thought it should be covered under the warranty and a little overpriced. I checked local auto parts dealers and they suggested a battery with more cranking amps and cheaper than the OEM battery. I'm glad I went with that battery. I thank they put a cheaper battery in the car for the AC on all the time down here in Florida.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We happen to be COSTCO members, so I will definitely check out the Interstate battery they have. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just looked on their website and Costco has the battery I need for $99.99 . . . So my question is, do they install it? If not, no biggie, but will they take my old battery to be recycled?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 1.6L. I had to replace the battery about 5 months ago. I got a Walmart battery; they are made either by Exide (headquarted in Milton Ga) or Delphi (headquartered in Dublin Ireland and soon to be bought by Johnson Controls). It was easy and I spent about $120. Walmart Battery Finder. It took about 20 minutes. Would suggest watching a Youtube video.
Where most cars have a metal strap across the top holding the battery down, the Soul has a couple of bolts at the back of the battery holding battery in as well as a bolt holding car's computer that needs to be removed. Pretty easy once you watch the video.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2013 1.6L. I had to replace the battery about 5 months ago. I got a Walmart battery; they are made either by Exide (headquarted in Milton Ga) or Delphi (headquartered in Dublin Ireland and soon to be bought by Johnson Controls). It was easy and I spent about $120. Walmart Battery Finder. It took about 20 minutes. Would suggest watching a Youtube video.
Where most cars have a metal strap across the top holding the battery down, the Soul has a couple of bolts at the back of the battery holding battery in as well as a bolt holding car's computer that needs to be removed. Pretty easy once you watch the video.
Yes, I watched the video (as well as a few others) and now that I know what to look for (the two hidden bolts), I think I can handle swapping out the battery (providing I have tools that will reach them, lol).

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would find out the specific details regarding both warranties. Is it pro-rated? Is it full replacement free?
My battery has a 60 month overall warranty, the first 24 months being full replacement free and the remaining months minus depreciation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Costco does not install. They charge you a core fee which is refunded when you bring back the used battery.
Warranty just recently changed, now it is 36 months at Costco, and I believe that is longer than other interstate retailers. At Costco you 'return' the warrantied battery and buy a new one at current pricing, so it usually ends up costing a few dollars.
I don't see a way to check the local Costco inventory. My location has never had the correct size for my Soul, and they cannot order it for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Costco does not install. They charge you a core fee which is refunded when you bring back the used battery.
Warranty just recently changed, now it is 36 months at Costco, and I believe that is longer than other interstate retailers. At Costco you 'return' the warrantied battery and buy a new one at current pricing, so it usually ends up costing a few dollars.
I don't see a way to check the local Costco inventory. My location has never had the correct size for my Soul, and they cannot order it for me.
Thanks for the info . . . Now I guess it's a matter of seeing whether they have the battery I need.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts