Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 Kia Soul! with the Umber Everything package. Twice now I've gone out to the garage and the car was dead. Both times I left the lights on. Is there no automatic shut off? You'd think the car with all of its advanced technology would have a auto off when power gets to a level that not starting the car is in danger. My first car a 1976 Pacer even had a horrible buzzing noise when I'd leave the lights on when the car was off and the door was open. I know I know don't leave the lights on, I'm guilty of that. If anyone knows of a way to turn a indicator on or maybe there is something wrong with my Soul let me know.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
got to be more to it than that maybe your inadvertently doing something else, if I leave my headlights on it shuts off automatically after about 30 seconds to a minute and I do not have the auto light feature. That would be easy to check if it does that.

Are you leaving either of the key fobs in the vehicle or close by?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a 2015 Kia Soul! with the Umber Everything package. Twice now I've gone out to the garage and the car was dead. Both times I left the lights on. Is there no automatic shut off? You'd think the car with all of its advanced technology would have a auto off when power gets to a level that not starting the car is in danger. My first car a 1976 Pacer even had a horrible buzzing noise when I'd leave the lights on when the car was off and the door was open. I know I know don't leave the lights on, I'm guilty of that. If anyone knows of a way to turn a indicator on or maybe there is something wrong with my Soul let me know.
My 2014 battery died 8 months after purchase. You may have the same problem. If you can't get a jump that gets you to the dealer for them to test the battery, then call roadside assistance. Either way, go to the dealer and have the battery checked. One roadside assistance guy told me the battery is barely powerful enough for the car, so maybe there is an issue that hasn't happened frequently enough with 2014/2015 for anyone to notice a pattern yet.

(I was able to get a jump the first time... the second time, it wouldn't even jump anymore and had to be towed to the dealer. They replaced it under warranty after it failed tests.)

PS: What lights are you leaving on? The headlights? As conwelpic said, they turn off automatically (or at least they are supposed to).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yeah, I don't trust most electronics in cars to always do what they are supposed to do. They have to live in horrible conditions, with extreme temperatures, vibration and other assorted abuse.

* EDIT: And, most of the electronics in automobiles are of the Hobby Grade quality, bought from the lowest bidder. About the same quality you'd expect to find in a $5 transistor radio. You definitely get what you pay for, or sometimes you don't get what you THINK you're paying for.

Leaving the lights ON, if an auto shutoff system is not working can of course Kill a battery overnight, but a battery can be dead for other reasons too.

Like, on my brand new Suzuki SX4, I only got a mile from the dealership the day I bought it, and the battery was effectively DEAD, and would not restart the car.

The dealer's service man came and got me, and with a jump start got me going....back to the dealership.
I drove home that day in a loaner car. Five days later, they called me to tell me my car was fixed and I could come back and get it.

The problem was that the battery was not being charged by the alternator, because of a loose connector, in a cable, under the battery.
I drove my car home with a brand new battery in it. And what a battery..... an Interstate 1000cca battery.
(that battery was BIG enough to start a diesel truck!)

But that battery only lasted three years, with all my Off Road driving.
All the vibration, of driving so much on dirt roads, killed it!

That car should go right back to the dealer for a full diagnostic, and possibly a repair.

:cool:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe you just think it's the headlights because they do turn off automatically. Just get the battery checked out, that's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Kia Soul+ with top package has the same battery problem after 11 months. I also thought it was the light or a door did not close completely. I recharged the battery to full and it happened again a month later. Recharge it again and it died again in 2 weeks. The last recharge last for about a week. I took it in today and the dealer replaced the battery under warranty but blame my dashcam which has been in my car the whole time and I have a battery discharge protection device. I have also swapped the dashcam and discharge protection device with my Kia Rondo (same set up in both cars) and did not help. My Rondo does not have that problem with the same Dashcam and discharge protection device. Anyway, I have them disconnected from my Soul now and I will keep checking the battery to see if the replacement last.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
By any chance, did you notice that you posted in the 2010 to 2013 forum? Not good!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Beatles and welcome to the gen 1 forums.
My only advice other than that already given on lights, fobs, doors ajar and possibly non removal off ignition key, is to read carefully your hand book.
When you stop the car and switch of completely every thing auto shuts down within 30 minutes. UNLESS exemptions are for parking lights on some models.

Modern battery technology and Alternators provide quick charging. As long as you do not have the dreaded ISG systems as Europe you will have adequate battery power.
Even the camera that runs for protection uses only a minute part of the 50-60 amp hr available. it is the low capacity of camera battery that results in car battery usage but is only in milli amps .
Please report back if you find out what went wrong. Always eager to learn

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
There has been a lot of reports here on the forums, about Souls with bad batteries.*

*It doesn't seem to be exclusive to any year or model of Soul.

I guess I'm just lucky, that the one I got was a good one.
But should it ever fail, I keep a new one on charge here at home.
And, it will only take me a few minutes to change it out.

I do check mine often, and the last time I checked it, I took a picture.

How this picture applies to this thread, is that if you check your battery, regularly, with a digital Volt Meter, you should see a reading of somewhere around 12.5 vdc within an hour of shutting off your car. With the motor running the reading should be somewhere around 13.8 to 14.0 volts.
With the motor shut off, for 12 hrs or more, the battery voltage should still be above 12 volts.
If not, either the battery is dying, or there is something in the car that's causing a power drain.
With the right instrumentation, and troubleshooting techniques, any power drain can be found.
A qualified Automotive Tech should be able to find it.

Good Luck!
TechnoMage :cool:

Reactions: tjbk3123 and Buzz

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had the issue in a different make of car, turned out to be the aftermarket stereo system draining the battery. I didn't drive that car a lot and it sat for weeks sometimes with the battery draining slowly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 Soul is doing the same thing. My husband noticed last night that the lights came on by theirself in the middle of the night. They were definitely not on when we went to bed. It also happened at work and my battery was dead by 5:00.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
My 2015 Soul is doing the same thing. My husband noticed last night that the lights came on by their self in the middle of the night. They were definitely not on when we went to bed. It also happened at work and my battery was dead by 5:00.
which lights? Have you done any after market mods that relate to the electrical system?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
My 2015 Soul is doing the same thing. My husband noticed last night that the lights came on by theirself in the middle of the night. They were definitely not on when we went to bed. It also happened at work and my battery was dead by 5:00.
The Soul has a built in system that cuts power after 20 minutes of inactivity to save the battery from going dead.

One of 2 things has happened:

1. You have made a modification to something, or

2. There is a child named Damien living next door :tongue-new:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2014 Soul+, the lights turn on by themselves and no modifications, we only have a Declan living next door and he's too young to be trouble. Yet.

Just paid $114 to my local Kia service to have them tell me I have the wrong battery in there, the battery was replaced yesterday (by my personal mechanic, not Kia). Parking lights turned on by themselves yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Soul has a built in system that cuts power after 20 minutes of inactivity to save the battery from going dead.

One of 2 things has happened:

1. You have made a modification to something, or

2. There is a child named Damien living next door :tongue-new:
Not possible. He lives next to me.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Do you know a good Priest? Sounds like an exorcism is in order...or a better mechanic.

·
Registered
539 Posts
01-22-2015

I have a 2015 Kia Soul! Twice now I've gone out to the garage and the car was dead. Both times I left the lights on. I know I know don't leave the lights on, I'm guilty of that.

Last edited by Buzz; 01-29-2016

1. How can "Buzz" edit someone's posting? A full year later? I guess to edit out some bad words? Yeah, I'm reaching. It just seems weird!

2. Don't leave your lights on, then close the door and walk away.

I own a 2015 and have found the stock battery, just is, adequate.
When mine eventually "kicks the bucket", I plan on replacing with
a much higher mAh, and cold cranking amps battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure out why the lights where coming on by their self my daughters soul is doing the same thing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts