Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All--

I just finished installing a set of Philips 4 led Daytime running lights in my 2016 Plus. Spent most of the time trying to figure where to put the control module--not a whole lot of securable space in the 2nd generation engine bay. I tried using 3m double sided sticky tape but it didn't hold--I ended up using velcro to secure the module. I couldn't figure out where to stash the extra wiring length, so I just cut out the excess and resoldered them back together.

It looks like with the orange wire tapped into the parking lights, the automatic headlight function does not work. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with the Philips 4 led DRLs and maintaining the auto headlight function? Please be kind and be extremely slow to point out that there is a search function on this forum--I have spent a few hours on this board poring through the forum entries. You have to admit that the results of the search function are poorly formatted, inconsistently dated, and have no indication which forum the results come from.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm planning on installing my Philips lights as well in my '15
I had them on my Nissan running whenever the car was on and had no issues with brightness...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi All--

Just figured out how to do photos! Here are photos of our Soul with the 4 LED Philips Daylight DRL. This first set is the front of our Soul. The next message will contain the under the hood photos as well as a description of how they are mounted.

The right light may have a slightly different mounting orientation than the left--in the photos the right does seem brighter--in real life they seem to be equal brightness. The DRLS may have special powers--with them on the lightpost seems to become invisible.

I am still experimenting to see if the DRLs as installed are working properly with the "AUTO" function on the KIA light control stalk. If so, then this is a perfect add-on item and I can leave the lights on AUTO!

The DRLs only come on if the engine is running and the parking light is not lit (the parking lights are activated in both the headlight as well as parking light mode).

The headlights on daytime engine running. headlights daytime.jpg Headlights off daytime (DRLs on) drl on daytime.jpg
DRLs night time drl on night.jpg Close up of Philips 4 LED passenger side close up drl right side.jpg

Hey TnT I just realized how odd/eerie the stock white eyelids look on our white Soul--the eyelid kit that you installed may be a future modification!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Hi All--

Just figured out how to do photos! Here are photos of our Soul with the 4 LED Philips Daylight DRL. This first set is the front of our Soul. The next message will contain the under the hood photos as well as a description of how they are mounted.

The right light may have a slightly different mounting orientation than the left--in the photos the right does seem brighter--in real life they seem to be equal brightness. The DRLS may have special powers--with them on the lightpost seems to become invisible.

I am still experimenting to see if the DRLs as installed are working properly with the "AUTO" function on the KIA light control stalk. If so, then this is a perfect add-on item and I can leave the lights on AUTO!

The DRLs only come on if the engine is running and the parking light is not lit (the parking lights are activated in both the headlight as well as parking light mode).

The headlights on daytime engine running. View attachment 100689 Headlights off daytime (DRLs on) View attachment 100705
DRLs night time View attachment 100721 Close up of Philips 4 LED passenger side View attachment 100681

Hey TnT I just realized how odd/eerie the stock white eyelids look on our white Soul--the eyelid kit that you installed may be a future modification!
I bet the white ones would look good. They would make the headlights blend in with the hood nicely.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is how I installed the Philips 4 LED Daytime DRLs. I didn't take photos of the installation of the mounting brackets or snaking the passenger cable behind the grill or snaking both passenger and driver cables up but I will provide a poor verbal picture.

In retrospect this would have been easier if I had the car on lifts or at least have the front tires on ramps. It also may have been easier if I took the bumper fascia off, but I am pretty adept at breaking some of the plastic clips that hold the bumper covers on other vehicles so I decided to minimize breakage on this one.

I wanted the DRLs to look like they came with the vehicle so I chose the area below the grille just to the inside of the fog lights. There is a solid black plastic portion in that area--the mounting brackets were mounted to the upper portion of the fascia (see photo previous post). There is not a whole lot of room to maneuver tools around. I put masking tape in the area where the brackets were to be installed (the undersurface of the fascia), held the bracket in place and used a Sharpie to mark the screw locations (in retrospect a second set of hands would have been nice, but it was late at night). A 1 1/4 inch finishing nail held by a pair of vise grips was used to puncture pilot holes through the marks on the masking tape. This would be an excellent opportunity to use your handy philips offset screwdriver--I presently do not own one, but I finally understand how valuable it would have been. I did a McGyver using a philips head driver bit being turned by a 1/4 inch combination wrench (open on one side, closed on the other) with upward vertical force applied by a 1 inch metal and a 1.25 inch plastic spatula style paint scrapers to screw the mounting brackets in place. I drilled access holes for the wiring and fed the wires into the respective holes. I fished the wire for the passenger side along the inside of the grille and attached the wire with black zip wire ties. Once the passenger wire was close to the driver side wire I removed the air delivery tube (just remove the 2 plastic mushroom connectors and the tube lifts out) and reached down and pulled both wires up.

I didn't realize (or pay attention) that the internal space under the hood of the 2nd generation Souls is different and not as generous as the 1st generation. In the YouTube videos as well as photos on the process in the generation 1 installation there are nice nooks and crannies that the control box can be mounted/attached. Not so much in the 2nd generation. There is a nice vertical surface on the inner portion of the front light assembly box--I am not too sure what is actually housed just under the surface and I didn't want to crack the reflective surfaces so I chose not to attach the control box with screws. For some reason, my nice clear gooey 3M double sided adhesive tape did not want to stick to the light assembly, so out of desperation I used adhesive vecro strips that I used for a different project. The control box remains attached even after a few short drives--time will tell how the adhesive will hold up during the summer 100 degree days. On the 2016 Soul + there is a portion of the light assembly that may be used for a connector for the factory DRLs--the connector is non existent and the place where the DRL bulb is inserted is just solid black plastic--I velcro'ed the controller box right next to this dummy connector.

Corrugated cable protector was used to cover the DRL wires from the top of the engine bay down to the drivers side DRL and the cables were zip tied in a few different places. I wasn't sure how to deal with the 2 extra feet of wires so I cut 2 feet out of each side and spliced and soldered the cut ends together. I cut a notch in the upper lip of the lower part of the case that protects the positive terminal of the battery to accommodate the red wire (see photo with thin yellow arrow). I removed the cable from the negative terminal then attached the red wire to the positive connector and the black one to the negative connector, then reattached the grounding cable to the negative terminal. I used the orange wire to identify the parking light wire and spliced into the wire.

I then started the engine and tested the DRLs with headlights off and on. After verifying that all was well I clicked the DRLs into the mounting brackets. I am not too sure if I will be able to remove the DRLs from the brackets--there seems to be extremely snug attachment.

Hope this helps!

Sorry no photos of the mounting brackets or the Rube Goldberg screw installation device!

Control wires attached to battery terminals. wiring to battery terminals.jpg Red wire in notch made in cover. notched positive battery cover.jpg
Control box velcro'ed to light assembly box. control box on headlight case.jpg
Orange wire spliced to parking light wire. control wire spliced with parking light wire.jpg

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I think they would look great as well. Right now the "eyes" of the Soul look a bit tired--I guess I am as well.
I'll try to get a few front view pics of my Soul tomorrow while I'm up at the hospital getting my chermo treatment and post them for you.
They really look great, they are probably my favorite mod looks wise. I have a Canadian hood guard now but I had them on the old headlights before I added the hood guard. I would have just used a clear stone chip protector on the hood instead but I already had the hood guard ordered and was waiting for it to arrive. They looked great without the Canadian hood guard but they still look sweet because the guard matches the black car nicely too.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I stopped on my way home from my chemo treatment because I had to piss like a race horse. Afterwards I took some updated pictures of my Soul.

I really love how the eyelids/brows look, way better then stock. I've done lots of other mods, check my garage for more details.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow that looks awesome!! Covering up the white edge of the headlight assembly really cleaned up the eyes!!

Hope you are faring well through the chemo. Thank you for sharing the pix during your call of nature driving break!

Thank you also for pointing us to the mods you have undertaken thus far.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Wow that looks awesome!! Covering up the white edge of the headlight assembly really cleaned up the eyes!!

Hope you are faring well through the chemo. Thank you for sharing the pix during your call of nature driving break!

Thank you also for pointing us to the mods you have undertaken thus far.
Thanks for the compliments. Chemo has been going good but today is only my 3rd day. It takes about 6.5-8 hours a day and I go for one week, M-F and then get 3 weeks off before the second round starts. Two rounds is the plan, since it's mainly preventative.

I think the white ones eyelids look great on your car, they would eliminate the droopy look and the black line that keeps them from blending into the hood like they should.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have been experimenting with the light selector in the "auto" position daytime and nighttime--it appears that using the parking light wire tap with the Philips 4 led drls allows the automatic headlight on-off to function properly. This is great news and is contrary to the information on the Philips instruction sheet. Now I can keep the selector on auto!!!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I wonder if I could use the low beam light fed to dim them and then when the high beams are activated they would go full bright again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would work if the low beam power is shut off when the high beams are activated. I recall in the ancient days of my youth the low beams remained on when the high beams were activated.

The Philips 8 appear to be dimmed when the sensed circuit is activated. The Philips 4 (installed on my soul) power off when the sensed circuit is on.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Our lights use separate powered filaments so the DRL lights would be off when the low beams are on and be on with the high beams in that case.

That's just what I wanted to know. I'll be add some to my upcoming mods list. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That would work if the low beam power is shut off when the high beams are activated. I recall in the ancient days of my youth the low beams remained on when the high beams were activated.

The Philips 8 appear to be dimmed when the sensed circuit is activated. The Philips 4 (installed on my soul) power off when the sensed circuit is on.
There is some info on this on Amazon. Apparently the 4 LED lights came with a basic control box (on/off type thing) whereas the 8 LED comes with an option to dim the lights when the main headlights are on at night. From what I read is if you bug Philips long enough, they will send you one of these at no cost and the dimming works on the 4 LED lights as well. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and could't get one of these modules. I just ended up leaving them on all the time.

Now if we could just figure out how to disable the awful yellow DRL our cars come with from the factory...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since the LED 4's have a shorter expected life I think I'll keep the stock box and have the DRLs off when the headlights are on.

I guess the yellow DRLs up north are not the same color as your Soul?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts