Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found out that my 2016 does not have day time running lights when my wife was following me driving this car and I looked in my rear view mirror. The dealer didn't tell me about not having them when i bought the car. I thought that all the cars sold in the USA had to have them. I was wrong. Can the dealer install them or convert my car? I thing this is a serious issue enough so that I would not have bought this car.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All cars sold in the USA do not have DRLs.
Where did you get that information?

There have been some owners that have done custom installs with aftermarket parts.
All look like add-ons to me.

To me not have DRLs is not a serious issue.
If it is to you,get a shop to add them.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Dealer probably won't install them, but many auto shops can or you can look into our DIY section, there are many options available. Never heard DRL being a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
What model do you have...? On my Exclaim model you turn your stalk to parking lights and "leave it there", And then you have your LED running lights your looking for during daylight hours... Now your safer Front and Rear during the DAY Light Hours...
Note The Name: "Sparkle Positioning Lights"
Note: You could choose to have them wired to stay on all the time at "START-UP"

~ Here They Are On The Exclaim ~

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts
What model do you have...? On my Exclaim model you turn your stalk to parking lights and "leave it there", And then you have your LED running lights your looking for on during daylight hours... Now your safer Front and Rear during the DAY Light Hours...
Note The Name: "Sparkle Positioning Lights"
Note: You could choose to have them wired to stay on all the time at "START-UP"

~ Here They Are On The Exclaim ~
Sweet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm 73 yrs. old and remember when DLR's were installed on cars as a safety device. I think they have stopped a lot of accidents especially at dawn and dusk hours. Having DRL on my cars is very important to me. My wife drives this car and ushers my grand children back and forth to school. I want a car with the safest conditions. I traded in a Honda CR-V for this car. I think I made a mistake. I hope this car proves me wrong. Thanks for you info on DIY. I'm a retired electrician and worked with a lot of and reading of electronic circuitry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi, I have an Exclaim also. If I leave the stalk in the Parking Lights Position I would not be able to use the Auto Light Position that I have and want to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I "always thought" is was a safety law. If a shop does it, will that void my warranty?? If I do it myself will it do the same?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm new to this site. How do you get to the DIY section. I can't find it.
He's Refring to the DIY section of the forum. Its on the bottom of GEN 1 section and the GEN 2 kia soul section. Honestly just do a search with the bar on the top right of the Forum. I have thought about installing the Day time running lights from the exclaim myself. A friend of mine is going aftermarket so I will get his.

If you interested in getting them check ebay for stuff like this. Genuine LED DRL Positioning Projection Head Light for Kia 2014 16 All New Soul | eBay

There was a user recently who posted how to take the lights off as well. I'd have to go look where that went.

As for Day time running lights being a serous Issue. I would honestly relax.

A. Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway and Sweden require vehicles to operate with their lights on during the daytime. Some laws require all vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. Others simply mandate that drivers turn their lights on at all times.

There have been no studies that have proven they've made a difference. They are no more then Cosmetic. < which is why I would like some on my Soul +

There is no law that requires all cars to have day time running lights.

http://http://www.lightsout.org/faqs.html < good read. DTRL were never required in the states. before a certain time they used to be banned entirely.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi, I found out that my 2016 does not have day time running lights when my wife was following me driving this car and I looked in my rear view mirror. The dealer didn't tell me about not having them when i bought the car. I thought that all the cars sold in the USA had to have them. I was wrong. Can the dealer install them or convert my car? I thing this is a serious issue enough so that I would not have bought this car.
Add them yourself, save some money seeing you are a retired electrician and all. As far as a deal breaker, the time to decide would have been before taking delivery. I don't understand why people assume all the time and then get disappointed to find a vehicle "doesn't come with a specific feature" that would make or break a deal.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
here is our DRL's that are standard on all Canadian models (and have been since about 1990), we also get immobilizers that have been standard since 2008, however we do not get TPMS on almost every KIA sold in Canada (I think the Cadenza and K900 are the two exceptions).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I "always thought" is was a safety law. If a shop does it, will that void my warranty?? If I do it myself will it do the same?
It will not void a warranty, unless the installation was the cause of damaging another component. Then that particular component will be out of warranty.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
here is our DRL's that are standard on all Canadian models (and have been since about 1990), we also get immobilizers that have been standard since 2008, however we do not get TPMS on almost every KIA sold in Canada (I think the Cadenza and K900 are the two exceptions).

Thank God we don't get TPMS they are nothing more than a PITA.

Pat.

Reactions: conwelpic

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You can wire the LED eyebrow to an ignition controlled source VIA a fuse tap. You can do this two ways a simple wire spliced into the led circuit will turn on the parking lights when the ignition is turned on. Or you can cut the wire to the led eyebrow and wire it to an ignition controlled source. This is easily reversed when you want to sell the car. If you do this you will still be able to use the auto headlights.

Pat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just leave my headlights on. They come on when I start the car and turn off a couple of minutes after I shut it off.

I agree with the original poster. Headlights in an urban setting are more to be seen than to see. If someone sees me, he won't pull out in front of me. I like that. I've grown used to being alive.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
The trouble with using your parking lights or your low beams as DRL is now you will be reducing the life of all your bulbs. If you do a lot of daytime driving.

Common DRL uses the highbeams on low power. Highbeams are used a fraction of the time of low beams normally. Plus run at low power will not affect the bulb life as much.

Another DRL uses foglights as the DRL's. Again foglights are used a fraction of the time of low beams.

There's a big problem I can see with wiring up the LED positioning lights as DRL's. They are sealed in as a unit and if you blow that light your either replacing a very expensive headlight housing or performing major surgery on it to replace the LED. You may have operate on the other headlight to get it to match too. Probably can't buy the OEM brow LED and would have to go generic LED strip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
True that low beams are overkill and using them to replace daylight running lights will burn out the bulbs more quickly. On the other hand, bulbs are cheap when compared to ambulance runs and emergency room visits.

Best choice would be for Kia to do what several other manufacturers do: make DRL standard safety equipment. Let's organize a march on Seoul and protest. Who is with me?

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
665 Posts
True that low beams are overkill and using them to replace daylight running lights will burn out the bulbs more quickly.
The other problem is that when either parking or low beams are on, it dims the dash lights and makes the (standard) radio impossible to read the dial in the daytime. I'm thinking about putting a switch in that will feed either the wire now going to radio terminal A8 (dash lights) or B11 (power when engine on) to the radio connector A8. But not until weather gets nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts