Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I’m about to install a ROAV dash cam in my 2018 Soul Turbo. I’m not hardwiring it; just powering it with the included car charger. Before I start, just curious to know others’ experiences with running/hiding the cable in the A pillar and side of the the car via panels/weather stripping, etc. Mainly just want to know if I need to be concerned about disturbing side airbags and stuff like that. I know I’m probably being overly cautious but no harm in asking.

Thanks!
M.

·
Registered
85 Posts
no airbags in the A-pillar...they are in the seats...I pulled out my plastic part easy, then took back the rubber seal...ran wire down, put rubber pack & popped plastic back into place.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I always hated the suction cups, so I actually placed a silicone sticky "tray" on my dashboard and place my dash camera into that tray so I can readily remove it and tuck it out of the way as necessary. Not super clean and purty, but it functions well.

Greg

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
The end section of the side curtain airbag does reach into the top section of the a-pillar. I was never able to easily get the top clip disengaged to release the a-pillar trim piece fully from the a-pillar.

I would recommend you use something to secure the wiring you're adding to the a-pillar itself to keep it out of the way of the existing wiring and make sure you run your new wires behind the airbag (between the airbag and the car metal) at the top of the a-pillar.

Here's a link to my YouTube video where I install a VIOFO A129 Duo (2-channel) dash camera into our 2017 Kia Soul +.

The two wires I had to run down the a-pillar (power and rear camera cables) made it so I couldn't use the included wire clips to secure the wires to the a-pillar since they (together) were too large to fit in the clips. I've included two screen shots from the video showing the airbag and how it does occupy some space behind the a-pillar trim piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks, y'all for the help and great information! I'm more at ease now on doing this that now I'm wondering if I should just go all in and hard-wire the cam to the fuse box. The only other thing that I was concerned about was a friend telling me having a dash cam is just another thing to worry about someone breaking into your car to steal. In San Francisco, it happens. The ROAV attaches to a mount you stick permanently to your windshield and can be removed and disconnected fairly easily, but I can foresee it becoming a big PITA.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just unplug at the camera, pop the suction cup off and take it with me or stow it in the glove box.
Just leave the wire hanging. The only pita is if I take it in the house and go out the next day and have to come back in because I forgot it.
If parking at home in the driveway I use a car cover, so then I just leave the camera in the window.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just unplug at the camera, pop the suction cup off and take it with me or stow it in the glove box.
Just leave the wire hanging. The only pita is if I take it in the house and go out the next day and have to come back in because I forgot it.
If parking at home in the driveway I use a car cover, so then I just leave the camera in the window.
Probably what I'll be doing; too valuable a tool to not have in the car. I ride a motorcycle and I have a GoPro on a chest mount when I ride. Been lucky to have not been in any accidents but I've also caught footage of bad drivers that would have been at fault if I wasn't lucky enough to avoid them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should rig up my Apeman action camera on the bike.
Not meaning to change subject thread but thanks for mentioning your Apeman camera. I had never heard of it and I'm checking it out. Honestly, I hate my GoPro Hero5. Nothing but problems with it and they have THE WORST product support people. Glad to discover less expensive alternatives.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I really like my Apeman C450 camera in the car. I bought a mount that attaches to the rearview mirror mount that is adjustable. The price was right too from Amazon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine is an A70, have had it a while. Go Pro type mounting accessories work with it. I bought a variety bag of them.

Made this with it mounted to the helmet, a couple years ago. Just for a idea of the image and sound quality, I assume newer ones would be at least as good.

https://youtu.be/GFZ4roi6Tbo

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
I just plugged mine in to the lighter outlet . Ran wire under dash then tucked it in under the a-pillar trim and headliner . Didn't remove anything . Been there for two years now .
Ah, the easy way. If I were to put one in, this is how I would do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts