Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

In the fall, I noticed some steam/vapor emanating from the vents in front of the windshield of my 2015 Kia Soul + (only 21K miles) and had no clue why that was occurring. As we got into the rainy season in the SF Bay Area, I noticed that the windshield was fogging up excessively and I had to run the defog with AC on at full blast to clear up the windshield. Eventually, the situation became dangerous when, on multiple occasions, the windshield fogged up so fast while I was driving that I had to pull over to clear the windshield before I could drive again. If this had happened on the freeway, I would have been in deep trouble. I went online and saw numerous complaints of Kia Soul owners experiencing similar symptoms as a result of a clogged AC drain hose. I contacted Kia to have them look at it and when I took it in, they diagnosed it as a clogged AC drain hose and it took them all of 5 minutes to clear it. They told me that many customers had brought in their vehicles with the same issue. They explained that it was a manufacturing flaw in the Soul as the hose is too narrow and eventually clogs. They proceeded to reccomend that I have it cleared every time I come in for an oil change, especially during the rainy season.

So, fellow Kia owners, if you see anything amiss with your windshield fogging up to an abnormal degree, don't wait!!! Take it in to Kia and have them evaluate it. If you have the same issue, it's a quick fix and it can save you from a potentially dangerous situation.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Let me tell you a story about a fateful trip...

My brother has a 2014. We drove it to KC to watch the Chiefs/Steelers. On the way back it had a little bit of fog coming out of the vents. I was driving and we got into an area where the windshield started to fog. I turned on the defroster and so much fog started coming out of the vents it looked like the car was on fire. I had to roll down the driver's window and hang my head out the window, in the dark, to see. The car looked like Cheech & Chong "Up in Smoke" - no lie. If a cop would have saw it we would have been pulled for sure. This went on for hours.

He brought it into Kia when he got back and it was a clog in the drain system. All the condensate was building up and creating a mini fog machine!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
one of the reasons I frequently check under my car when I use the a/c, to make sure I see a wet spot is on the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have, well had, 2 2017 Souls. This happened on the first one at less than 20k miles, and my other just now at 31k. It is very inconvenient but a painfully simple fix. Blow some compressed air up through the Evaporator drain tube to unclog it and watch the waterfall come, may want to move back or get a bucket.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Where is this hose located?
The A/C drain tube can be seen starting at the firewall on the lower passenger side and it runs at an angle down towards the ground. The red arrow points to the open end of that tubing. You can see the water dripping on the garage floor just after my wife drove the car home from work.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
So that grey hose in the second pic is the drain tube? Is this something we can enlarge? I run auto climate on my 2018, so doubtful it would clog, but is still a point of contention.. oh the list of things I am compiling for my 50k service ......

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
So that grey hose in the second pic is the drain tube? Is this something we can enlarge?
The grey hose with the white line on it in the second picture is the A/C condensation drain hose as it appears that the lower portion of the firewall. I would be surprised if the blockage is coming from the top end of that hose. I would think that something might be clogging the lower end of the hose by the ground, but I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The blockage is at the top of the drain hose. It can also flood the passenger side floor. The standing water can have a nasty smell due to bacteria growth. I did unclog my Soul at 70k miles with this spray that comes with a long hard plastic tube:

When I inserted the provided plastic tube (closed end, with side holes) it up the hose, I felt resistance at some point. Insisting, it broke loose and a bunch of smelly water came rushing down that hose. Then I applied the cleaning agent in there. It's not smelling as anything, my wife is allergic to some chemical smells, so that was a must.
They also have a video of "how to".

I looked at my other Ford vehicles for the AC drain and... I don't have a tiny hose. It's a 1" hole draining on firewall!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts