Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share some early photos of a custom subwoofer box I am having built for my 2021 Kia Turbo, I will be removing the spare (I have AAA) and this box will sit down in the wheel well and basically become the rear storage area, the sub opening and amp opening will be covered in protective mesh so I can still store items in the back as needed, I will post more photos once I get everything installed, p.s. this is not my place, these are photos from the guy I am having build, this is his outdoor storage room and it is a little messy...LOL
I am installing a 12" Sundown Audio SAv2 Sub and SFB-1000D Mono Amp

IMG_1005[1].JPG IMG_1006[1].JPG

·
Registered
2018 Soul+
29 Posts
Oooh! Nice please continue to update so I can learn from anything you find. I was thinking a single 15 instead of my two twelves (see below, rip trunk space). That amp was fairly impressive on the Williston Audio Dyno yt channel. iirc I think it did really well @ 2Ω.

I'll be doing mine almost exactly like yours in the fall. Florida summer is upon us and I need like 5 changes of clothes to work outside right now. I was toying with the idea of mounting the spare tire on the back hatch like one of them thar CR-V majobbers.

Have you made any upgrades to the side doors?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh! Nice please continue to update so I can learn from anything you find. I was thinking a single 15 instead of my two twelves (see below, rip trunk space). That amp was fairly impressive on the Williston Audio Dyno yt channel. iirc I think it did really well @ 2Ω.

I'll be doing mine almost exactly like yours in the fall. Florida summer is upon us and I need like 5 changes of clothes to work outside right now. I was toying with the idea of mounting the spare tire on the back hatch like one of them thar CR-V majobbers.

Have you made any upgrades to the side doors?
Not making any adjustments to the 10 speaker system in the car at the moment, only because they do not make a wiring harness to bypass the OEM Harman Kardon amp, I would have to cut into the existing speaker wires, insert a DSP and out board amps and either run new speaker wire to each upgraded speaker or splice back into the existing speaker wire, at the moment I am happy with the performance of the speaker system, just easier to tackler the low end, the little 6.5" sub and 8" passive they have installed is kind of a joke, hopefully this weekend I will get all of installed and up and running, I will report back...What part of FL are you from, I lived there from 2000 to 2007, first in Tampa area and then over in West Palm and Fort Lauderdale

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I would share some early photos of a custom subwoofer box I am having built for my 2021 Kia Turbo, I will be removing the spare (I have AAA) and this box will sit down in the wheel well and basically become the rear storage area, the sub opening and amp opening will be covered in protective mesh so I can still store items in the back as needed, I will post more photos once I get everything installed, p.s. this is not my place, these are photos from the guy I am having build, this is his outdoor storage room and it is a little messy...LOL
I am installing a 12" Sundown Audio SAv2 Sub and SFB-1000D Mono Amp

View attachment 136494 View attachment 136495
Sundown makes awesome subs!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very nice! Gives me some ideas... I'm rethinking my sub box build since my original spare tire plan didn't go well. I'll probably built a flat box that fires into the spare tire well air space with a slot for the air to move, then cut a recess in the top of the box to drop in a thin full diameter spare plus some tools.

Not making any adjustments to the 10 speaker system in the car at the moment, only because they do not make a wiring harness to bypass the OEM Harman Kardon amp, I would have to cut into the existing speaker wires, insert a DSP and out board amps and either run new speaker wire to each upgraded speaker or splice back into the existing speaker wire, at the moment I am happy with the performance of the speaker system, just easier to tackler the low end, the little 6.5" sub and 8" passive they have installed is kind of a joke
There's a passive radiator in the 3G stereo?? Running all new speaker wires isn't THAT bad... I do it on every car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice! Gives me some ideas... I'm rethinking my sub box build since my original spare tire plan didn't go well. I'll probably built a flat box that fires into the spare tire well air space with a slot for the air to move, then cut a recess in the top of the box to drop in a thin full diameter spare plus some tools.

There's a passive radiator in the 3G stereo?? Running all new speaker wires isn't THAT bad... I do it on every car.
this guy at netaudio, builds that type of box, but you have to go with shallow mount subs, I wanted a full size sub, so i opted to use the spare area space, I have AAA, so not having a spare is not big deal and I am getting too old to change a flat tire, not old enough to have HUGE bass, but you know...LOL

·
Registered
450 Posts
this guy at netaudio, builds that type of box, but you have to go with shallow mount subs, I wanted a full size sub, so i opted to use the spare area space, I have AAA, so not having a spare is not big deal and I am getting too old to change a flat tire, not old enough to have HUGE bass, but you know...LOL

I hear ya- I'm in my 40s now. Not too old to change a spare though, and I've always upgraded the audio in every car I've had, so good bass is a must! I did pick up one of these last year for the Soul when it went on sale but haven't put it in yet:

The specs and parameters are really good for the price (I paid $80), and it looks like it'll perform well in 1 cubic foot of airspace. With a full diameter spare (but skinny) the spare will still pop out of the tire well, so that's why I'm thinking to just put the spare on top of the box and use more of the volume underneath the trunk floor to run the sub better. Previously I was going to build the box to only be 4.5 inches thick plus legs to bring it up to the height of the original cargo box- that would have given me enough room for the JBL to breathe in a sealed setup while having clearance for an 8 inch wide spare underneath.

I have seen the netaudio boxes, but they're a bit too expensive and not quite the right configuration for what I have in my head. Not bad for what they are though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya- I'm in my 40s now. Not too old to change a spare though, and I've always upgraded the audio in every car I've had, so good bass is a must! I did pick up one of these last year for the Soul when it went on sale but haven't put it in yet:

The specs and parameters are really good for the price (I paid $80), and it looks like it'll perform well in 1 cubic foot of airspace. With a full diameter spare (but skinny) the spare will still pop out of the tire well, so that's why I'm thinking to just put the spare on top of the box and use more of the volume underneath the trunk floor to run the sub better. Previously I was going to build the box to only be 4.5 inches thick plus legs to bring it up to the height of the original cargo box- that would have given me enough room for the JBL to breathe in a sealed setup while having clearance for an 8 inch wide spare underneath.

I have seen the netaudio boxes, but they're a bit too expensive and not quite the right configuration for what I have in my head. Not bad for what they are though!
so let me pick your brain, at this time there is not an adapter on the market that will let me bypass the HK factory amp, so either I wait or I do the following...I cut into the speaker wires coming out of the HK amp, run those high level inputs into a DSP and then from the DSP to an Amp or I get one of those DSP/AMP combos (expensive though), then I either splice back into the existing speaker wire or I run new speaker wire to the speakers I want to replace an amplify...Here is my questions regarding this approach: 1. Will I run into a situation where the navigation voice, or bluetooth/phone voice, or internal bells, dings, alarms etc...will all of these amplified, I ask because I have a wiring diagram of what is coming out of the HK amp, I would only be cutting into the specific speaker wires to the locations I will be upgrading... all of the CAN, SPDIF or other connections would be left completely alone..

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
so let me pick your brain, at this time there is not an adapter on the market that will let me bypass the HK factory amp, so either I wait or I do the following...I cut into the speaker wires coming out of the HK amp, run those high level inputs into a DSP and then from the DSP to an Amp or I get one of those DSP/AMP combos (expensive though), then I either splice back into the existing speaker wire or I run new speaker wire to the speakers I want to replace an amplify...Here is my questions regarding this approach: 1. Will I run into a situation where the navigation voice, or bluetooth/phone voice, or internal bells, dings, alarms etc...will all of these amplified, I ask because I have a wiring diagram of what is coming out of the HK amp, I would only be cutting into the specific speaker wires to the locations I will be upgrading... all of the CAN, SPDIF or other connections would be left completely alone..
If you feed the HK amp's speaker outputs to the DSP, then yeah you'll amplify everything that was originally going to your speakers, although I have no idea from the diagram what's included with the navigation voice. I'd be more worried about the fact that the amplifier doesn't seem to have a full-range output since it's sending separately to woofers/mids/tweeters, so unless your DSP can merge multiple bands of high level inputs and merge them into a full-range signal for further tweaking, you may want to avoid using the HK amp's speaker outputs to drive a DSP. Maybe you can use the SPDIF line? I assume that's SPDIF from the head unit to the amp. That should be a complete signal, and I'm sure some of the DSPs on the market can take an SPDIF signal for input. That'd be MUCH cleaner than using speaker outs, and you could bypass the amp altogether.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Hamster now has THUMP!
Nice! So you're not worried about visibility from the outside, or stuff dropping in through the grille? My wife puts a ton of stuff into the back of the Soul all the time, so I'd want a lot more protection, or to fire the sub down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts