Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I purchased the SSD short ram intake for my 2012 ! And I was planning on building a little cheapo heat shield to help block the heat from the engine. Has anyone else done this or has any ideas on a way to redirect more cold air to the filter? Any pictures or advice is much appreciated. I saw a thread that has ducting coming up from the fog light bay which I liked but I unfortunately have fog lights.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Probably a stupid question. My apologies if it is.
Why do this?
What do you think we be accomplished?

There will be no change in performance.
Furthermore,a fabricated "heat shield" will look like crapola.

Want to go faster?
Drop in a K&N in the stock air box.
Get some light weight wheels.
Get rid of all the extra stuff that you carry around.

Or,buy another vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fabricated heat shield is just to give it a bit more protection from the engine heat, hence the term heat shield. As for saying that an SRI provided no added performance seems like nonsense seeing as how there's a thread with dyno charts. But for the sake of keeping the thread on track other advice is welcome

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was planning on building a little cheapo heat shield to help block the heat from the engine.

Mr Little pooh,
Go to the 99 cent store,
and buy a roll of aluminum foil.

Fold it, shape it, bend it like Beckham,
into the most,
"little cheapo heat shield", ever!
Then, secure it with wire, into place.

Why don't YOU, Put up a picture,
as you know what they say.
"A picture is worth a thousand words!"

Maybe have your big hand pointing
to the area you want the heat
shielded from. That would be cool!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually exchanged emails with Mike from ssd and he told me it was tested with and without a heat shield. I think I may just wait to install a shield if I start having issues with it getting super warm while idling or bogging down. I'll post pics and my own little review once I get the intake and get it installed!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I actually exchanged emails with Mike from ssd and he told me it was tested with and without a heat shield. I think I may just wait to install a shield if I start having issues with it getting super warm while idling or bogging down. I'll post pics and my own little review once I get the intake and get it installed!
I'm all for being creative with mods. I've done my share.Some that made no sense at all.
Could be me...always thought the value with forums is to teach and learn.The teaching part
comes from the screw ups you did and warning the next guy not to make the same mistake.

On the heat shield thing. Just what type of intense heat does a 1.6 or the fire breathing 2.0L
engine make?
I read pretty technical write up on CAI's on another board. Think it was from the U.K.
They showed that the only true way to get cooler air to the intake was like wile_e showed in his
photo. However, the entire filter cone was mounted outside of the grille.
Even with that fitment,the temperature sure was down. But the performance was not worth the effort.

Maybe try one of them electric superchargers??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad to see people posting but could we keep it to the thread? Or we can post more videos debunking s2000 cold air intakes.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Probably a stupid question. My apologies if it is.
Why do this?
What do you think we be accomplished?

There will be no change in performance.
Furthermore,a fabricated "heat shield" will look like crapola.

Want to go faster?
Drop in a K&N in the stock air box.
Get some light weight wheels.
Get rid of all the extra stuff that you carry around.

Or,buy another vehicle
The Reality is, the SOUL has a tuned " CFI " Induction straight off the front of the cars air pressure area... ( Winner " CFI " )

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Reality is, the SOUL has a tuned " CFI " Induction straight off the fronts of the cars air pressure area... ( Winner " CFI " )

Yep--bet you dropped a K&N in the air box.
News flash! Many times the manufacturers have this stuff already worked out.
Reminds me of the "performance chips" that are touted to save gas &boost hp.
If they worked,why does'nt the makers already have them installed?
Duh!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm all for being creative with mods. I've done my share.Some that made no sense at all.
Could be me...always thought the value with forums is to teach and learn.The teaching part
comes from the screw ups you did and warning the next guy not to make the same mistake.

On the heat shield thing. Just what type of intense heat does a 1.6 or the fire breathing 2.0L
engine make?
I read pretty technical write up on CAI's on another board. Think it was from the U.K.
They showed that the only true way to get cooler air to the intake was like wile_e showed in his
photo. However, the entire filter cone was mounted outside of the grille.
Even with that fitment,the temperature sure was down. But the performance was not worth the effort.

Maybe try one of them electric superchargers??
I agree with SOUTH SOUL, it's not worth it too me for the Soul, the only thing I do on all my vehicles is a K&N filter. If it were a turbo it would benefit from the smaller upgrades but our 2.0 it is not a significant enough difference for me to do anything else. You have to remember, you do not gain any hp, if anything you release some of the available hp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts