Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd attempt to post my Curt hitch install with pictures. Both of my previous posts do not show up. Maybe it is because i attached 5 pictures so this time i am going to post it without the pictures and see if it sticks!

I installed the Curt trailer hitch in under an hour all by myself. Was a little tricky initially holding up one side with my leg and foot while I got the first bolt started on the other side. Curt does a really good job of precision fitment. Everything has to line up exactly and it it goes together quickly and smoothly. Pictures to show how well hidden the receiver is when not being used. Very happy with the product.
Now the plug and play wiring harness is a nightmare. I emailed a complaint and will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. The drivers side main harness was only 20" long from the plug to the converter box. The converter barely made it out from behind the tail light housing. The converter is now hanging up in the bumper just below the lens housing. Instructions say use double sided tape to attach the converter to the nearest flat surface!! I would need at least another 8" to reach a flat surface and would prefer another 12 inches so I could zip-tie it to a solid surface out of the weather. Always easy to tie up excess wire but it does not stretch at all!! IT is just hanging and will be bouncing around and probably will not hold up very long like that so for the $105 it cost me I expect a replacement from Curt. Will see tomorrow on the phone.
I will be towing my motorcycle trailer with a 2001 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird on board.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
59 Posts
Nice work. I installed a Curt as well. I had to do the foot/knee balance thing myself. I also didn't drop the exhaust. If you angle the hitch properly it slides into place. I didn't install the wiring harness since the car isn't rated for towing. I installed the hitch for my cargo tray and load extender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up with my harness issue with Curt. They requested and I sent pictures and explaining the problem with the harness being to short to be able to follow their instructions. The main harness comes at only 24" and at least 28" is required to even get down into the bumper area as shown in the picture. Would like to have 32" to work with. Still waiting to hear back for an answer.
Green Cable Technology Wire Light
Automotive design Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Fender

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
59 Posts
Interesting. Says a lot about Curt that you got a response. I’m not familiar with the previous generation Souls. I wonder if the wire length worked on previous yrs and they didn’t update their database.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
301 Posts
... I’m not familiar with the previous generation Souls. I wonder if the wire length worked on previous yrs and they didn’t update their database.
In Gen2 Souls
  • the module box is mounted behind the driver's side taillight housing (there is room in the big tailight to accommodate the module box - time 4:19 in video below) versus the Gen3 where apparently it must be mounted below down in the bumper cover,
  • wire length issue was with regard to the green wire reaching all the way over to the passenger side tailight (mentioned at time 0:57 in video below)
YouTube - etrailer | Trailer Wiring Harness Installation - 2016 Kia Soul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Gen2 Souls
  • the module box is mounted behind the driver's side taillight housing (there is room in the big tailight to accommodate the module box - time 4:19 in video below) versus the Gen3 where apparently it must be mounted below down in the bumper cover,
  • wire length issue was with regard to the green wire reaching all the way over to the passenger side tailight (mentioned at time 0:57 in video below)
YouTube - etrailer | Trailer Wiring Harness Installation - 2016 Kia Soul
Correct, Curt did not update the harness from the 2019 to the Gen 3 2020/21.
There is no longer room to fit the converter behind the taillight housing.
The harness needs to be lengthened by 12" to work in all model years.
Excess wires are easily zip tied up and out of the way but it does not "stretch" much at all!!

·
Registered
2021 Soul X Line Mars orange w/cherry black roof
4 Posts
This is my 3rd attempt to post my Curt hitch install with pictures. Both of my previous posts do not show up. Maybe it is because i attached 5 pictures so this time i am going to post it without the pictures and see if it sticks!

I installed the Curt trailer hitch in under an hour all by myself. Was a little tricky initially holding up one side with my leg and foot while I got the first bolt started on the other side. Curt does a really good job of precision fitment. Everything has to line up exactly and it it goes together quickly and smoothly. Pictures to show how well hidden the receiver is when not being used. Very happy with the product.
Now the plug and play wiring harness is a nightmare. I emailed a complaint and will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. The drivers side main harness was only 20" long from the plug to the converter box. The converter barely made it out from behind the tail light housing. The converter is now hanging up in the bumper just below the lens housing. Instructions say use double sided tape to attach the converter to the nearest flat surface!! I would need at least another 8" to reach a flat surface and would prefer another 12 inches so I could zip-tie it to a solid surface out of the weather. Always easy to tie up excess wire but it does not stretch at all!! IT is just hanging and will be bouncing around and probably will not hold up very long like that so for the $105 it cost me I expect a replacement from Curt. Will see tomorrow on the phone.
I will be towing my motorcycle trailer with a 2001 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird on board.
Were you able to complete the install of the hitch without loosening the inner fender wells?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Edit to add- just saw this was for Gen 3 Souls, my bad
I just got done putting on a Reese Hitch from etrailers.com on my 2017 +. No real issues, exhaust hanger rubber came off easily enough with channel locks (saved $20 on a tool I prolly would never use again). Definitely had to remove inner wheel well shields, no room for the ratchet if not. I hung it by myself using 2 Philips screwdrivers to hold up one side while I started the bolts on the other side. Biggest problem was on 1 of the 4 nut plates I must not have cleaned out enough dirt/debris because the bolt went in very hard. Thought I might have cross threaded it but not, it was just a sone of a gun to torque in. On the harness, I have also read complaints of wires being too short; mine was just right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts