Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing this creaking noise, best I can describe it is like an old wooden ship, when I go over uneven pavement. Low speeds especially, like under 10 MPH.

Normally I have the RR seat up and the other 65% back seats laid flat for cargo missions. I folded the seat flat for the trip to the KIA dealer. DUH. It didn't make the creaking noise when the service guy went for a ride with me.

A light went off, I put the seat back up, and the creaking noise returned.

He couldn't figure it out. He said maybe it's a shock. Maybe we have to pull some panels off, that is very involved and takes time.
I really doubt pulling a few panels off would take any more time than replacing a shock but I just observed.

Anyone had this issue? I've NEVER had an issue anywhere like this in any KIA or any car I can remember for a long long time. Any bright ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
840 Posts
Mine rattled with the seat up. Turned out the latch wasn't clamping right. Sprayed some WD40 into it and problem fixed.

I also used to hang a "crunch" sound in back. Also slow speed like going over speed bumps. Dealer greased something on the rear suspension and crunch went away.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine rattled with the seat up. Turned out the latch wasn't clamping right. Sprayed some WD40 into it and problem fixed.

I also used to hang a "crunch" sound in back. Also slow speed like going over speed bumps. Dealer greased something on the rear suspension and crunch went away.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Hmmm. Thaxx, engage. Odd it does it with the seats up or either seat up but not with them flat. Which to me would indicate the issue is in the seat somewhere.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine did that, you need to grease the seat clamp/connector on the side (the piece of metal shaped like U). Takes away the noise.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did that, you need to grease the seat clamp/connector on the side (the piece of metal shaped like U). Takes away the noise.
I sprayed some WD but that didn't fix it.

Took it in to the dealer Thursday, turns out a rear control arm bolt needed one full turn of the wrench to tighten it. That sounds kind of serious.

They also replaced a rear shock but I believe that was to have something to put on warranty work because KIA doesn't pay them to look for funny noises.

So far the cure seems to have taken.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Revision to ^^. No,not cured, I still get a squeak or rattle. It's got to be in the seat. I may try a gob of God's Own Grease and see what happens.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts
I had a tap/creak noise over rougher pavement that I was sure coming from behind the passenger A Pillar. Like maybe an electrical connector tapping.

Finally discovered it's the sliding cover over the sunshade mirror. That small bit of play between glass & plastic. I shoved a piece of paper in between for now. Haven't figured a permanent solution yet.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
992 Posts
You want a car that creaks like an old sailing vessel? Buy a new or old Ford C max. You'd swear you're on the Mayflower. Interesting how many new cars creak even though companies invest in "metrology" departments to prevent that. Maybe I'm just "lucky" enough to have purchased only vehicles that were made at 4:59PM on Friday.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife decided against a new Soul for that exact reason.
Just don't get the panoramic s'n'oof.

Apologies for not following this up, but the creak DOES appear to be fixed. That is, I haven't heard it no more no longer no way.

I thought I had another creak or rattle in the dash but that turned out to be a stash of pens, TP gauges, flashlight, etc. I kept in an envelope in the glove box. Removed, FIXED!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Just don't get the panoramic s'n'oof.

Apologies for not following this up, but the creak DOES appear to be fixed. That is, I haven't heard it no more no longer no way.

I thought I had another creak or rattle in the dash but that turned out to be a stash of pens, TP gauges, flashlight, etc. I kept in an envelope in the glove box. Removed, FIXED!
You misunderstand.... She won't buy one because the 2020's no longer have them. Salesman said we were not the first to mention that as a reason.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts
You misunderstand.... She won't buy one because the 2020's no longer have them. Salesman said we were not the first to mention that as a reason.
Decontenting again. Each progressive year it seems to be a game of take-away.

Remember the folding mirrors on the new Gen2 backlash? Underboot storage system, Satellite Radio for all, express windows, signal repeaters.....ok ok I'll stop :)

Reactions: tampa8

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps the take rate was too low to justify a major engineering/design project that doesn't return at least equal on the investment.
And things change too, maybe next year. Companies do respond to customer requests, if they see enough.

But that's probably a pretty big chunk of change to design the pano. I like s'n'oofs, I've never had a pano though I was considering an Optima with one a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Perhaps the take rate was too low to justify a major engineering/design project that doesn't return at least equal on the investment.
And things change too, maybe next year. Companies do respond to customer requests, if they see enough.

But that's probably a pretty big chunk of change to design the pano. I like s'n'oofs, I've never had a pano though I was considering an Optima with one a couple of years ago.
You could be right and as you say if enough customers say something it could come back. It was a huge selling tool at least in the early 2nd generation years I do not know if it continued to be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts