Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

CPO 10 year/100,000 mile warranty CAN be transferred to a THIRD owner

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  XxHaimBondxX 
#1 ·
This got buried in another warranty-related thread so I thought I’d highlight it in its own thread. I think a lot of 3rd owners are potentially leaving thousands of miles/several years of warranty coverage unclaimed because this doesn’t seem to be common knowledge.

CPO owners get the remainder of the 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. If the CPO vehicle owner sells to a private party, this CPO power train warranty can be transferred to the buyer for a $40 fee. Paperwork must be completed within 30 days of sale.

This could be a selling point for someone who wants to sell a car they had bought CPO.

Here’s info from the warranty.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:goodpost

#3 ·
The only question I would want confirmed is this: Is the Kia/Hyundai 10 yr/100,000 mile OEM warranty really underwritten by Fidelity? I would have thought it would be from the manufacturer. I understand many 3rd party warranties are underwritten by Fidelity or some other entity. Just a thought.

#4 ·
It’s confusing. I don’t know how to find out for sure exactly which roles Fidelity plays vs. Kia with this warranty. I’ve never seen the warranty doc the first owner receives to compare, to see if that mentions Fidelity anywhere. (Not the warranty manual, but an actual original owner’s specific warranty contract.) But if I were a third buyer, you can bet I’d be happy to pay $40 for the prospect of ANY coverage lasting 10 years/100,000 miles, even if Fidelity is somehow involved.

#5 ·
I feel like this is good news for people who assumed warranty coverage for second owners and beyond is automatically cut off at 5 years/60,000 miles. For CPO, this is not the case. I was really surprised to see that the CPO route can offer even a 3rd buyer some measure of protection to 10 years/100,000 miles IF the $40 fee and transfer paperwork are completed as required. SOME coverage is better than NO coverage, in my book.

#6 ·
Yeah, sorry to be a downer, but this is a third party warranty, so this post may be region or even dealer specific. They have some pretty good BBB ratings, but horrible reviews on any other consumer rating sites. Dealer figures the price of this warranty in the sale price, so you could buy the same vehicle from private party and then add this warranty yourself and possibly save quite a few bucks.

#7 ·
Fingers crossed that I never need to use the warranty.

Still, a 3rd buyer could not buy that warranty on their own for $40. And in a sea of Craigslist ads, if you’re trying to sell a car and can advertise there’s a 100,000 mile warranty that can be transferred, would probably equate to a quicker sale and potentially a higher sales price.

With an 11 year old kid, in a few years we’ll be looking for a used car for him. If it’s a Kia, and if we buy from a private party, I will be checking to see if there’s a CPO warranty that could be transferred to us. That would be worth $40 to me.

Even if it’s a 3rd party warranty, for $40, I still say some coverage is better than none.

#8 ·
My reason for posting about this is two-fold:

1. A lot of people think coverage for 2nd owners and beyond is always capped at 5 years/60,000 Miles. Not always the case.

2. I think a lot of people who buy used from private parties are leaving this additional coverage unclaimed, but it would be practically free to them, so why not take advantage of it? CPO purchases are pretty common nowadays, but this idea of transferring CPO warranties for a small fee and some paperwork is something I don’t think many people know about.

#9 · (Edited)
Good information though I have to say most anyone who gets an OEM CPO warranty often knows it can be transferred to a third buyer. It's one of the selling points. That said keep in mind there is a $50 deductible with KIA for each visit - and that includes for the same problem if the problem was fixed and it breaks again. Bumper to bumper is for 1 year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first so unlikely the third buyer would get that benefit.
In addition and to answer your first point the drive-train warranty starts from the original sales date not the CPO sales date. Another words the remainder of the original drive train warranty so it is not simply a 60,000 mile or more warranty. If the car has 60,000 miles on it at CPO purchase there is 40,000 miles left. I'm not making that out to be a bad deal but it isn't always going to be a 50,000 or 60,000 warranty even for the 2nd buyer and likely less for the third.
It can be a very good deal for the original 2nd buyer getting the CPO coverage. Much less so for the third buyer getting what is left of the CPO. That's why it's only $40 Kia is not losing anything they already got paid for the full CPO coverage and likely the bumper to bumper of the CPO has expired for the third buyer.

#13 ·
In my case l purchased a low mileage 2015 Soul base M6 from a local Ford dealer. The dealer offered a third party life time warranty on the drive train components that kicks in after the factory 2nd owner 5 year 60k warranty runs out. For an additional 10.00 a month, l also purchased a extra bumper to bumper warranty that covers all the electronics and other systems not included in the power train plan for 6 years or 60k. I left the dealer happy with my deal. Turns out that after my first trip to my local Kia dealer for a oil change, l have a 5 year 60k factory warranty on everything except the radio. Im not happy knowing that l am wasting 10.00 a month on double coverage, but what can l do at this point? I am happy with the car and that is the most important thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.