Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm researching the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring 195/65/15 for a Soul Base.

The Cooper website UTQG rating for heat dissipation states it's an "A" (very good)

195/65R15 91T 780 A A STD BLK 5.5 - 7 6 7.9 25 6.1 1356 11.5

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - CS5 Grand Touringâ„¢

The US Government site says it's a "B" (so-so)

CS5 Grand Touring Radial All sizes A B 780

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Tires+Rating

I have not been able to find a clear photo with the DOT specs.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi the testing I am not familiar with but the size of tyre may fit two or more rim widths 5 1/2"or 6" rims as fitted to yours.
Th results could vary suggesting on the border between the two grades.

Jeff

·
Read Only
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from tirerack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

Temperature (Resistance) Grades

The UTQG Temperature Grade indicates the extent to which heat is generated and/or dissipated by a tire. If the tire is unable to dissipate the heat effectively or if the tire is unable to resist the destructive effects of heat buildup, its ability to run at high speeds is reduced. The grade is established by measuring a loaded tire's ability to operate at high speeds without failure by running an inflated test tire against a large diameter high-speed laboratory test wheel.

Temperature
Grades: (ABC)

Speeds
in mph:

A Over 115
B Between 100 to 115
C Between 85 to 100

Every tire sold in the United States must be capable of earning a "C" rating which indicates the ability to withstand 85 mph speeds. While there are numerous detail differences, this laboratory test is similar in nature to those used to confirm a tire's speed ratings.

Unfortunately for all of the money spent to test, brand and label the tires sold in the United States, the Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards have not fully met their original goal of clearly informing consumers about the capabilities of their tires. Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that the grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use.

·
Read Only
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Contacted Cooper Tires. The Cooper representative said, "I cannot tell you about the error on the government site."
Also sent a copy of a tire description which listed the Grand Touring with an "A" rating.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have never went through all that to buy tires, I have never had any problems with any tires I bought. I buy from Discount tire Direct and never had a problem, they make sure the tires are safe for their customers and they offer free shipping unlike Tirerack, but they use to offer it but I just cannot see paying 70$ plus for shipping on just tires and if you get a tire/wheel combo it runs 150$ plus and when they add that you loose all your benefits of buying online. If you bought a set of tires from Wal-Mart your tax would not even be half of what Tire rack charges for shipping.
I have been buying from DTD for over 20 years and even drive to their store in Douglasville in Ga and still come out cheaper than TR.

·
Read Only
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's good for the forum that Discount Tires is a sponsor.
In addition to Discount Tires, testing and opinion info is also available at tirerack.
I want to know, at least second hand, if a tire is really good or just hyped.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You have not said what a set of 4 would cost TOTAL to the DOOR, and with Mount & Balance, and any Taxes...??? When you give us this INFO, WE will find you a Great set of tires for a BETTER Price I'm sure...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts