Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask everybody it they had thought of this.

The wife and I wanted to take the kids on a picnic this Canada Day but we did not have a cooler to haul all the food in. So I was gonna go down to the Mac's store to see if they had something that I could borrow. I went into the hatch to get something and lifted my folding cover over the storage insert. What I noticed then was life changing. The storage insert looked like disposable cooler Styrofoam. So I went to Mac's but this time to buy a couple of bags of ice.

Lets just say that I had cold drinks in my hatch for 2 days and the ice had not melted all the way by the time I emptied it later. There were no leaks into the spare compartment and the insert did not soften.

So there you go. The Soul just got a little cooler...get it ....little cooler.......lol

·
Banned
288 Posts
Yeah, at one of the dealerships the salesperson mentioned that. I always looked at it as a place to store jumper cables, etc... Basically all the car maintenance stuff. But since that styrofoam is just like in coolers, it looks like it would work well, and based on your experience it does.

Looks like the Soul is full of little surprises.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have used mine as a cooler twice. Once for a picnic a about a week ago, and one for the 4th. It works great. It is a little challenging to get rid of the water that it leaves behind withoug making a mess, but other than that it works great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A note: I noticed on the base model, you don't get the organizer.. seems its SO expensive that they had to pull it from the base..

Cant see it costing more than $3 to make it.. but I was going to take it out anyways.. so no big deal for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have used mine as a cooler twice. Once for a picnic a about a week ago, and one for the 4th. It works great. It is a little challenging to get rid of the water that it leaves behind withoug making a mess, but other than that it works great.
I was going to say it must be a little tricky to get it out to empty out the melted ice. I would be afraid of it breaking with the weight of the ice/water when emptying it. But it does seem very handy and leaves more storage space when you don't need a large cooler.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Um, why not just leave the ice in a bag, or use blue ice? I've done both with success.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts