Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Soul + and it has roughly 10000 miles on it. Took it into the dealer last week to have the oil changed and stated that my coolant was running a little low. They performed a coolant leak check. They said they weren't able to find any leaks or issues, topped it off, and to told me to keep an eye on the coolant level. It's now 500 miles later and it's nearing the halfway point of the F and L in the reservoir. I haven't seen any leaks on my driveway or have smelled any coolant at all when I'm driving.

This can't be normal can it? :confused:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It's pretty normal. I would not concern myself with it unless your coolant level definitively goes BELOW the low mark.

Coolant levels can be anywhere between F and L and be just fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try checking it under the same conditions (if you aren't already). Look at it when the engine is cold like after sitting all night then look at it again after you've run it for a while. Make sure it's always between the F and L in both types of conditions. Park it in the same spot at night if possible and keep an eye on the ground in case a slow leak is present.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So it's normal for the coolant to go from F to L every 10000 miles or so? It just doesn't seem right.
Pretty much. The fluid expands and contracts a great deal, that's why you have an overflow tank. If you checked it right after a trip to the store while it was 80 degrees out, the level will be a lot higher than if you checked it first thing in the morning.

The only thing you really need to worry about is if it gets BELOW the L mark. Especially if it's below that mark after a trip to the store since it should read higher after the engine is warmed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts